Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/13/2004 7:03:56 AM EDT

Silver screws are temporary; they'll be replaced with black button-heads after the test-fire is done this weekend.

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 7:16:16 AM EDT
[#1]
You are an asshole.

I did not neet to see a picture like that.  I am trying not to buy more guns right now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Schweet!

Let us know how it recoils with heavy loads, even with the recoil pad on there.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Goto the sheet range with it!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Range report! I'd like to know how severe perceived recoil is with and without that particular recoil pad (I'm installing a Romy folder on my 12c and if recoil is too stiff then I'm considering the same Bulgy strap-on recoil pad). Keep us posded!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Tomac:

Had the converted S-12 out today. Had the gas system in position "2" (non magnum), and shot Winchester Super X  #7-1/2 game loads, Remington Express Long Range game loads, PMC reduced recoil 00 buck, Speer Lawman tactical 00 buck, Winchester white box 00 buck (full power), and Remington "managed-recoil" slugs. Also had my 11-87P there for comparison.

On setting "2", anything full-power (ie ELR game loads & Win white box 00) was pretty stout. Not especially painful, but muzzle jump was rather significant, making a fast second shot difficult. Unfortunately I didn't have the tool to adjust the gas system back to "1" for these rounds. Oh well.  All the Tactical and reduced-recoil ammo was comfortable and accurate, and the gun was VERY fast; much more so than the 11-87.  The FSE trigger group exhibited a bit of "slap", but not enough to cause us to stop shooting!   The gun got rave reviews from my fellow shooters, but a couple of them commented that I needed to do something to insulate the top bar of the skeleton stock, as its square profile tends to dig the cheek a little bit; I'm thinking about wrapping it in para-cord.

That's all for now!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice report, thx! Were you using the strap-on recoil pad at the time? I've got one on the way and my converted Saiga-12 should be here by Friday (fingers crossed!) so I'm hoping to get some range time in with it on Saturday. Keep us posted!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Tomac:

Yes, all my shooting was done with the recoil pad installed.  Otherwise, the FSE stock would be too darn short, and I'd take a receiver cover in the schnoz every time the gun recoiled...

Now if only my 8-round mags would get here...

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:13:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I converted mine as well, I love it. I used a FAL PG and a East German stock. I like the looks of your stock but I would want it to be a folder and longer. My next conversion I will use a polish wire stock. Good luck with the 8 round mags, someone will be importing them very soon.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I ordered my 8rd mags from 'AndyArts' (Andrei) on Ebay. I've ordered hard-to-find Dragunov stuff from him before. Total cost was $422 shipped for 5 mags(!!!) and hopefully they'll be here in a couple of weeks.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/19/2004 7:32:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I should add how much f-ing FUN this thing is to shoot now...  We ran 25 rounds of Winchester Super X #7-1/2, about that many rounds of PMC reduced recoil 00 buck, 10 rounds of Remington ELR and 10 rounds of slugs, in the span of about half an hour, basically as fast as we could load mags. My shoulder isn't sore at all, as it previously would've been (I guess that's the recoil pad doing its job!).

762:
I like the FSE stock just fine; the length with the pad is perfect, and allows me to manage the gun "aggressively" like I would a carbine or SMG. Down the road, it might get swapped with an ACE folder, but only if I get optics mounted that require a cheekpiece, or find myself with money to burn.  Right now, I'm waiting on news of Krebs' front & rear sight combos.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with nor have I received any compensation from Elite Firearms.

My Saiga-12 conversion from Elite Firearms arrived today at my FFL via Priority Mail. Needless to say I couldn't wait to get that package open after filling out my yellow form! I had sent them a Romanian AK folding stock, US pistol grip & Tapco G2 fcg for use in the conversion and my total cost including shipping was $450. I received a phone call from Dave earlier in the week telling me that the trigger pull was better w/the US fcg he was using than the Tapco G2 so I gave him the go-ahead to use his original and keep the G2.
When I opened the package I found my Saiga nice and snug in an inexpensive padded guncase. Dave had told me this was because he wasn't happy with the way my finished conversion fit in the box. (Nice touch!) It worked, because there wasn't a rub mark or blemish anywhere on the shotgun. I examined the end of the barrel closely and it looks like very good work shortening the barrel to 18.5" plus the gas port has been opened slightly to compensate for the shorter barrel. The donor Saiga is a 2001 model w/o a MBHO device (no big deal to me but worth mentioning).
My pistol grip and buttstock were nicely installed with no play or looseness whatsoever. The receiver cover was on very tight and required a couple of light taps w/my nylon-tipped reloading hammer from side to side to loosen it. Nothing unusual under the hood; no burrs, shavings, filings or other signs of monkey-smithing. While I had the receiver cover off I installed one of Blackjack Buffers green AK buffers.
The entire shotgun had been refinished in semi-gloss black Duracoat, looks *very* nice and very similar to what I'd expect from the factory. The conversion holes appear to have been tapped & filled w/a nice-looking hex-head machine screw. Perhaps not *quite* as nice looking as rivets but very professional looking nonetheless.
This is my first experience w/a Saiga shotgun and the trigger pull (though very light) feels unusual to me, nothing like the pulls on my AKs. Not a complaint, just an observation. Dave told me that my Saiga had been testfired but (like with many Saiga-12s) that it may take some breaking in to be fully reliable with all loads at a gas port setting of '1'. I've already replaced my standard AK pistol grip with a Tapco SAW-style AK pistol grip, it should handle the recoil better. I've also installed a PK-AS sight like the ones I have on my AKs.
So far I'm very pleased with the results from Elite Firearms and look forward to range testing it tomorrow. Range report will follow!
Tomac

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top