Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/8/2010 3:20:41 PM EDT
School me on Saiga 12s. I definitely want one, will mostly be using it for skeet and 3-gun shoots, so I am leaning to the 24". But I heard the 24" barrel only have 2 gas ports instead of 3. Does that affect reliability with lighter loads? Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#1]
19" is better suited to Tactical use, while the 24" is better suited to hunting/sporting use.
There really is no "all purpose" shot gun. You should really have a short barrel and long barrel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a 19" first.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
My 24" had 3 ports. Now it's my 18.25"
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 7:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
19" is better suited to Tactical use, while the 24" is better suited to hunting/sporting use.
There really is no "all purpose" shot gun. You should really have a short barrel and long barrel.

Are they easy to swap out? How much does a new barrel cost? Thx.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are they easy to swap out?   No

How much does a new barrel cost?   Not sure, but probably hard to come by.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:35:51 PM EDT
[#6]
I run a 19" for 3-gun and it gets the job done. (There's a video on the first page of this forum)
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get the shorter barrel, mine works fine but I haven't tried skeet with it except for hand-thrown or single fliers activated during a stage.

For 3 gun I decided to pickup a polychoke since the cylinder bore just wasn't reliably cutting it on some steel targets.

Link Posted: 9/9/2010 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#8]
All s-12's are supposed to have 4 gas ports, you can bend a paper clip at a 90 degree angle and feel inside the gas block for them and they should be in a diamond pattern.

If you have three ports and a good piston to bore fit you might be ok for most low brass, if you have only 2- highly unlikely to cycle low brass.

The barrels are pressed and pinned in place, Alliance has and can make new barrels but you will most likely never wear one out so why make them? Here's a hint- if you let a gunsmith or anyone else remove the barrel or gas block to port the barrel make darn shure they support the barrel internally with a steel slip fit mandrel and use a hydraulic press with fixturing to support the receiver as well, some s-12 barrels press out with ease and others dont, either way you can damage the barrel very quickly and I would also advise you get in writing what their "performance service" is going to do i.e. will it reliably fire low brass and or a specific brand of ammo.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 2:53:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got both a 19" and a 24" S-12.  Get a 19".
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#10]
19 it is! Yeah that Atlanta competition shooter is pretty amazing with it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top