Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/30/2003 10:42:25 AM EDT
This is just me wanting do something different.

Not wanting to do anything Illegal here so I need some advice.

I’d like my AKs to look more the part and as such would like to add a third notch for the selector. I’m not interested in changing any parts, just adding another notch on the side of the receiver. It of course wouldn’t ever fire full auto, actually it would either still be on safe or fire semi-auto from the middle position. I just think it would be cool to have it there.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, J

pic from a previous post.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm all about making the AK line of weapons appear as authentic as possible, but adding the additional selector position could possibly raise eyebrows, or in the eyes of our government stewards "be construed as an attempt to manufacture a select fire weapon."

I know H&K weapons have the select fire position grip housing, but the trigger paks are always pinned to keep the selector from actually rotating to the "auto" position.

You may want to visit the ATF Online webpage and send an email, or check the Frequently Asked Questions page.

Just my .02 cents.

KF
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#2]
What I had in mind was something akin to what Special Weapons has done with their SW5.

The selector will got from Safe to E (semi-auto) and on to F (full-auto). But even in the F position the weapon only fires semi-auto.

As there would never be any parts other than the semi-auto parts in the weapon I don’t see how it might be construed as an attempt to manufacture, I do see how it might raise some eyebrows thought.

The selector switch will, right now, pass right over the position where a third notch would be added. It just doesn’t have a place to stop and rest.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
My recent AKS-74 build actually fires from both the middle(full-auto) and the lower(semi) positions. The only notch on my receiver right now IS the middle position. I need to have the lower one added as well as the topmost safety notch.

Go for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I always thought that it was totally legal to add the FA notch? I am planning on a few new builds and wanted to have the notch added along w/ the cryillic markings. Can anyone help me out here? Legal? Illegal? Which is it?

The Kollector
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#5]
LEGAL.

But, some how the ATF will say they can get it to fire full auto with the FA notch there.  Even if they have to remove the flux capacitor to do it.

BTW, I just sent a build to IR and he is putting the positions on with the cryillic markings.
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've seen lots of ARs with the auto position marked???
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:I just sent a build to IR and he is putting the positions on with the cryillic markings.

That’s it.

I’ll have sweet dreams tonight

thanks, J
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 5:35:37 PM EDT
[#8]
To my knowledege it isn't illegal to have the middle selector marking. There are only a few things that have been ruled on that I know about. NO sear trip hole or slotted right rail. These are the definate NO, NOs. Full auto carriers are ok. We still modify full auto hammers and disconnects before they go into semi guns. I have a letter in to the tech branch at this time to clarify a few AK specific questions. Look for that later.

Troy Sellars
IN RANGE inc.

Link Posted: 11/1/2003 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Any pics of the Cyrillic markings?

Thanks, J
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
If anyone has noticed...
On Chinese, Pre-Ban Hungarians, Maadi's, and some others the semi position is the "middle" position, with a extended selector stop to prevent the selector from going to the "bottom" selector position.
The Romanian SAR's, SAM-7 series, Bulgarian kit builds, seem to mostly use the "bottom" selector position with the "middle" position deleted.
This is why a Full Auto trigger group ( minus the auto sear of course ) will work fine in a semi AK that uses the normal semi "bottom" position. But in semi AK's that use the "middle" selector position F/A trigger groups are unsafe to use because the hammer will not catch and will follow the bolt carrier after the first shot.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#12]
sorry, don't mean to get off thread.  ak-joe, what is the finish on that ak in the pic? looks sweet.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
sorry, don't mean to get off thread.  ak-joe, what is the finish on that ak in the pic? looks sweet.

It's AK-USA's new baked on enamel finish. It looks even better in person.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#14]
That finish looks similar to the finish on my SA 85M.

Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:27:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Found this pic on the new akfiles.com

In the pic there seems to be a marking in the middle with the infinity symbol and one at the bottom with the number one. Where do markings like this come from?
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:34:56 PM EDT
[#16]
That is a East German gun (you can tell by the shiny paint for starters) probably
MPi-AKS74N or NK. The way the serial numbers are marked on the parts is a givaway too...
BTW, Hungary is another country that has used Infinity and 1 for their selector markings...
-C
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#17]
It did not make sense to me, but a person I know added the third notch to his,, As far as I know he has never been questioned and the range he goes to is inhabited by GBI and sheriffs officers all the time.

If an agent with a chip on his shoulder from BATF really new his stuff and saw it, it could possibly get you into some questioning about your weapon. Possibly even confiscation if they really wanted to push it..

Not worth it IMHO...keep it the way it is.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
It did not make sense to me, but a person I know added the third notch to his,, As far as I know he has never been questioned and the range he goes to is inhabited by GBI and sheriffs officers all the time.

If an agent with a chip on his shoulder from BATF really new his stuff and saw it, it could possibly get you into some questioning about your weapon. Possibly even confiscation if they really wanted to push it..

Not worth it IMHO...keep it the way it is.

I doubt it.  If doesnt have a third axis hole for the auto sear than why would he bother.  And, i have never run into a batf agent at the range.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top