Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 6:12:13 AM EDT

Quoted:
I emailed the guy-Basically it looks like everything is black market. Basically half down, rest when you receive it. He says everything ships from the Czech Republic.

I, too, emailed the guy.

What's the opinion here from KenR or Campybob or anyone?

It's not a huge secret that I want an SVD.  Is it possible that these parts/rifles are of Czech manufacture?

Here's my original email to the guy:

REGARDING:

DRAGUNOV SVD Mod: PSO 1, (7'62 x 54): 1500 U.S.A. DOLLARS

DRAGUNOV SVD Mod: TIGER, (7'62 x 54): 1200 U.S.A. DOLLARS    

Please advise if you are able to legally import these into the United States for sale.

Are you also able to import parts for these rifles?

The reply I got:

Esteemed Mr. [my name removed]:

Esteemed Mr. Bernard [funny, not my name] friend, In this moment I have bussines
with the parts of SVD PSO-1 with some North American distributors, I don't
have problems for export this parts to United Estates.

-----------------------------------------INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONDITIONS OF
PAID----------------------------------

Nonacceptance orders below the 1000 U.S.A dollares.

The conditions of sell, for you buy any of my equipment you need
make the order, for make the order you have paid the 50% of the total price
( cost of the equipment that you want + shipping cost), when the transfer is
effective in my courrent acount I call to my employees on my warehouses
in Czech Republic, they prepared their package and they were sent it by a
service of postal mail of name BLUE PACKAGE (in the case of the vehicles,
these you would is transported in trucks from our warehouses to the wharf
but near and embarked to be transferred its destiny), when you receiver
the package and verifies the content, you have make the second and complete
payment (other 50% of the total price).

I can sell activated arms and deactivated arms with deactivated
certificate.

Hell, if the guy can legally import an SVD for $1500, I'm so totally in.  I'll buy two!

Realistically, I'm thinking that this is too good to be true, and potentially one of those "Save our money from the Congo rebels!" scams.

Opinions?

Beyond asking if he's properly filed everything with the BATFE for import, what other questions should I ask?
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 6:27:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Its all black market dude. Common in Europe.

Not to mention Russian SVDs are not allowed for import. The US Gov't has an agreement with the Russians.

THe Czechs dont make SVDs. Also if you look at the rest of his stock list, its almost all Russian or Bulgarian made stuff.

Also, he is overseas. The US importer (who has to be in the US)would have to file an import permit (form 6). Once this comes back approved, the importer can import then weapon.

Just because the guy sends the stuff to the US without problem doesnt make it legal. Allot of European dealers will happily drop MG receivers and suppressors in the mail. Legal for them, and as long as the get paid they dont care what happens.

You cant just mail order guns from overseas. Legally anyways.

I think its some sort of scam.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:44:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It does sound way too good to be true.

If they were able to do this and the guy has "employees in warehouses," why hasn’t he made arrangements with an importer and shipped over crates full of them. Not like they wouldn’t be able to sell them.

J
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 10:59:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a few friends in Nigeria (none of whom I know) that keep e-mailing me that they are so eager to transfer billions of US$ into my bank account.  They just need a few thousand to complete the paperwork or whatever.  I never got may lazy ass to actually have them wire the money to my account, but if you're interested, all you'd need to do is to give them your bank account number, credit card number, copy of your passport, social security number, your mother's maiden name, a copy of your birth certificate and a few other things.  And, almost forgot, wire a few thousand dollars to their bank account somewhere.  And you're all set.  BTW, I'm sure they can help you out with an SVD.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:19:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would rather you give your money to a girl in truck stop parking lot...........at least you could see who was screwing you then.  BLACK MARKET bad bad stay away.  That information was for fun only!!!!  Do you rember the movie midnight express..  I used to get excited when I got e-mails like that but now I know to good to be true.

Ken RSA

Ever get the feeling that there needs to be an astrisk next to "land of the free" in the national anthem?

Our freedom is beginning to look less genuine to me than my bank's so-called "free checking"
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#6]
do what you want.....but just know this, having a weapon coming in on the "sly" without any paperwork, will more then likely get you a room next to "chief thunder" (ken baranski).

then there is possibility that it's all a con, you send them money, you don't get anything. what are you going to do then? file a report against this guy..."I sent this guy in checkoslavakia, half the money for a SVD rifle I wanted him to smuggle to me, and he didn't send it".

come on now that's like a crack whore complaining to the cops she got ripped off becuse the stuff wasn't crack.

if you want a SVD, the closest you'll come to one is getting a TIGER. they can be had for around 1,000 bucks or so, and you won't end up spending thousands upon thousands of dollars in legal fees, trying to keep your ass out of federal prison.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:36:37 AM EDT
[#8]

I sold my Russian SVD just over a year ago on gunbroker. What exactly is a SVD Mod: PSO 1 ? I assume PSO 1 refers to the PSO 1 scope that is standard equipment on every SVD? I'll have to say that sounds like a scam. I know the price will be outrageous but have you tried a WTB on strumgewehr.com? I guarantee somebody will email you with one for sale. Expect a asking price of between $5,500 - $7,000 for a Russian SVD.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:04:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:32:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Just ask yourself 1 question...

....does you want to be the husband or wife when you get to prison!

I think the proper modern prison lingo is Pitcher or Catcher. I'll let you guys figure that one out.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:00:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you considered a Chinese NDM-86? Very nice, plus Russian stock sets are fairly easy to find nowadays, you can make it look "Russian" with no problems. Far cheaper route to take, with absolutely zero loss of accuracy. Plus you can also get an NDM in .308. My NDM shoots every bit as well as my Russian SVD ever did. The Russian is almost too nice $$$$ to shoot. I had to take precautions for the little dings an SVD gets around the ejection port. It was dam nerve racketing!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:33:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Campybob-

Its an agreement with the Russians, but also prevents importation from a 3rd country. I have asked the ATF import branch. I asked, as the SVD is availible on the German commercial market. Called a Tiger, but it has the SVD length barrel and stock set. Plus for cheaper then $1500. Then I can sell my original military SVD for some big money.

If it was possible to import them from a 3rd country, you bet someone would be doing it.

The VEPR and Saiga are importable because of this agreement. The ATF has a list of firearms that are importable from Russia. The Saiga and VEPR are on it by name. And then only in certain configurations, as the Russians also make assault models.

I have written allot of letters to the ATF import branch on stuff in the last five years. I would like to think I am knowledgeable
on the subject of importing military related firearms.

Sadly, theres no free lunch.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 7:45:53 AM EDT
[#13]
How could the Yeltsin-Clinton agreement stop the importation of rifles from a 3rd party? When the agreement was signed the Warsaw Pact and even the Soviet Union had already broken up. Yeltsin would have had zero authority to make deals for the other Eastern Block nations. My example is Bulgaria. How many thousands of Bulgarian AK47+74 kits have been imported since the ban? I have one in my closet. Unless you are talking about only Russian made weapons. Then I will have to agree with you. Otherwise everybody would just import their Russian rifles from another ex-eastern block nation. The Russians call their hunting SVD the TIGR. Thanks
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#15]
This has been talked about over and over on the SVD Discussions board. I think it is just an ATF or State Department policy. I think we are both 100% correct. The Yeltsen+Clinton agreement should have nothing to do the importation of any other countries SVD rifles. Yet nobody has imported a single one, to the best of my knowledge. I know theirs a market when Russian SVD's are going for $6,000+, Chinese NDM's are now close to $3,000. Hell, the last couple of Tigr's I've seen for sale were around $2,500 - and that was with the "hunting" thumb hole stock set.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:45:58 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree entirely! Its like their is a dam conspiracy to keep SVD's out of our hands! Worse firearm mistake I've ever made was selling my Russian. I know several SVD collectors have tried to get to the bottom of this importation mystery ( Berg, PVTPYLE, Etc.) and they all came up empty.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Bob, is that both 7.63 Mauser (.30 Mauser) and 7.62 X 25? I knew of the 7.62, but am not aware of any Russian weapons in 7.63.

They are different rounds, although sometimes interchangeable in some pistols.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 10:53:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:01:18 AM EDT
[#21]
The basic answer I got from the ATF was that there was an agreement between Russia and the US that the Russians would not sell firearms to the US civilian market except for certain models that had sporting purpose. The Tiger/SVD/Drag is not on the list. The same law/agreement also covers RUSSIAN origin rifles coming from a 3rd country. For example, if Estonia  decided to surplus Russian made SVDs to the US civilian market they could not be imported.

They said nothing about SVDs that are actually made in a 3rd country. For example, a Bulgarian made model.

Granted, I got my Russian military SVD for almost nothing but it would be nice to be able to buy another.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I just remembered something. I know why the ATF hates the SVD. It has something to do with the SVD's fire control parts. I remember something like the trigger can be very easily modified to fire full auto. I don't remember all the details, but Berg from SVD Discussions got that answer from some government official that I assume to be ATF a year or two ago. Like I said, I don't remember the exact details, but I'm sure that was it.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just ask yourself 1 question...

....does you want to be the husband or wife when you get to prison!

STAY AWAY.....SCAM!!! or Trap!

waht he said...unless you'd (ahem) "like it", that is....

stinks from 8000 miles awy
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes, as far as I have heard, the military SVD's
have a saftey sear (aka full auto sear), making them easy to convert.... I still haven't seen much detailed info or parts diagrams on this sear.... I wish I would have taken one apart when I was in Russia.... Stott,
what's yours look like over there in Germany?
-C
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#25]
remember when CENTURY imported the last batch of bulgarian maks, there was a bunch of soviet military maks mixed in with those.....the story I read is that CENTURY got in some trouble with the ATF over that, don't know how true it is...but if it is, I serious doubt you would be able to import a SVD that was made in russia through a 3rd country.

my advice leave this whole SVD import thing alone....it's like staring at the sun, nothing good will happen to you.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine is located in the States. When I came to Germany I left all my guns there.

I never took apart the trigger group on it anyways, only just field stripped it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Ah, I see-
Do you remember what year your gun was marked with? Thanks,
-C
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 7:44:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Mine is from the 80s sometime. Dont remember exactly, as it has been quite awhile since I have fondeled it.

I had three originally, but sold two. They all were from about the same time period.

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#29]
You are making me sick man... Well if you ever do sell that one, or find another military one...let me know brother....As a side note, I could have bought a KBI Russian import this month (1 of 100 imported in the early 90's) for about $5000+ from my local friend, but I really would have prefered a military one if I was going to sell my soul away for one gun.
Take care,
-C
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#30]
If I told you how much I paid for them, you would get even sicker.

Just remember my job, that I travel allot and put 2 and 2 together.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top