Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/15/2003 1:04:54 PM EDT
So, I know the odds of me getting a REAL SVD are pretty slim, as are the odds of finding a Norinco copy, since both are banned from import.

What about the Tigr hunting rifle?  Is that also banned from import?

From what I was reading, and commentary from other people, it's virtually identical to an SVD, only it's a "hunting rifle", not a sniper rifle.

If it's legal for import, anyone know where I could track one down at?
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 2:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the Tiger Carbine as it was known around here, got the ax too. They made them for import and were kind of a precursor to the full-sized Saiga .308s you see around now.

There was one on Gunbroker earlier...dunno how much its going for, probably the usual arm and leg.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the one on Gunbroker was a .308 - I want a 7.62x54R.

There's one on GunsAmerica for $3995 - He's saying it's a Norinco, but that it "might" have been built at Izhmash due to some odd date stamp or something?

Anyone got any ideas about that?  Is that even possible?

As far as importing the guns - if they're legal to import, and I know someone with an importer's license, what's the next step?  Calling Izhmash?

I'm asking, because I just discovered that a gal I work with has herself an FFL and an Importer's License.  Do women get much better than that?  
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, what exactly is the differences between the SVD and the Tigr?  I understand the barrel is a bit shorter, but are there other significant differences (besides the barrel, and maybe furniture)??
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:58:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a buddy of mine who keeps threatening to sell me his Tiger. Included would be a Russian scope with metal carrying case and a Russian night vision scope and case. He also has the instructions for the optics but they appear to be written in Russian. He keeps saying 600 or 700 bucks for the package but I haven't been able to get him to budge yet.

Bastard.......I think he is just toying with me.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I have been told by some pretty knowledgeable people, I have come to the conclusion that the Norinco SVD's are actually Russian made rifles that have export scopes on them with English markings on the scope.

I have looked at a Norinco and at a 'real' Russian SVD imported by KBI, and the markings and tool marks are almost identicle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a buddy of mine who keeps threatening to sell me his Tiger. Included would be a Russian scope with metal carrying case and a Russian night vision scope and case. He also has the instructions for the optics but they appear to be written in Russian. He keeps saying 600 or 700 bucks for the package but I haven't been able to get him to budge yet.

Bastard.......I think he is just toying with me.

If the gun is in good shape, I'll give him $900-$1000 right now =)
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Russian Tigers and Drags are banned from import. Remember that the Russians have an agreement only to ship certain guns to the US. The Tiger is not one of them.

You can also sometimes see "war trophy" Drags for sale near large military bases. I would imagine some more will appear on the market whenever the guys get back from Iraq. I dont know the legality of such items though, as war trophy guns have not been legal since the Vietnam war.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:41:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 11:02:11 AM EDT
[#10]

There was a 54R Norinco on sturm.com not to long ago for $1800. Probably went fast.  They tend to be more in the 2.2K-2.5K range.

A Russian SVD would be around 5k plus if you can find one for sale.

The Tiger is a "sporting" version of the SVD.  They feature a shorter SVDS barrel, have no flash hider/bayonet lug, have no hood on the front sight and lack the gas adjustment system.

Also, the Tiger rear sight is only calibrated for 300 meters.  The forearm is a non military vented style and some models feature the non-military butt stock.

The California Armory Tiger featured the military stocks and flash hider bayonet lug.  

FAIK, importation has been stopped on all version of the Tiger/SVD.

Some RKI have theorized at least some of Chinese SVD(NDM-86) were mfg in Russian.  However, I've never seen conclusive proof that the Chinese haven't produced the rifle at some point.

I would stay away from the .308 versions.

the wood, cheek rest and finish on the rifle are obviously of local origin.

Why do you say that?

Dave

Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:00:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Interesting, I'll need to find a known Russian Mfg set and compare them.  I wonder why you don't see laminate woods used in other Chinese rifles.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I just heard mention somewhere about a Bulgarian SVD?!

Would this be something legal to import, either complete, or in parts (and find someone to tool up an SVD receiver)??
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 2:46:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been assured that the Bulgarians never manufactured the SVD.  They did buy a bunch from Russia though.  So did the Germans and Finns.  But we can't get those either because the US looks at the origin of the guns'a manufacturer to determine importability.  So no SVD's for us, not even from Canada.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 5:21:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, that Romanian rifle looks nice, but it's no Drag.

I had just heard a rumor that the Bulgarians had built their own SVD, so my mouth started watering about that, because, as you said, it's not banned from import...

That's a damn shame...

If the '94 AWB goes away, will Norinco imports be re-allowed?
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 6:58:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Do not DO NOT NOT NOT NOT NOT DO NOT buy the SVD from the guy on Gunsamerica. Buddy of mine bought a matching one from the same guy in Colorado or some such place and it turned out to be a complete and total goat-screw odessy. The rifle was a few days late (over Christmas last year) and the guy freaked and called a whole bunch of area news outlets about a "SNIPER RIFLE BEING STOLEN IN THE MAIL". For a few days it was a big news item...<sighs>

Anyhow, I ended up shooting this SVD that he went through hell for and...I was realy horribly not impressed. If you're buying it for a collection piece, then its beautiful and looks very nice, but its very uncomfortable to shoot and I realy think the $700 FPL (ROMAK3) is a far better investment for someone looking for a 7.62x54r shooter...

The M-21 and the Galil Sniper both impressed me a hell of a lot more as precision battlefield weapons than the Draganov...a huge shame because its a very beautiful weapon.
Link Posted: 9/2/2003 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#18]

or...you may be thinking of the yugoslavian m-76 counter-sniping rifle, based on a milled, modified kalashnikov action and chambered in 8mm mauser.

While a neat rifle when some showed up last spring, I have at least one account of them being quietly recalled by the ATF for 'always being a machine gun' and accidentally approved for import with only a sear mod.
May be BS, but don't jump too fast on an $1800 AK without doing your homework.

I still want one...
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Poland produced an SVD (less than 1000), and Hungary had to tooling to do so, although I am not sure if they actually did. Doubtful, at best...

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, I know the FPL thing is significantly cheaper.

I still want a real SVD (or the Norinco "copy").

I've been talking with the guy selling the SVD on GunsAmerica, and the guy who was supposedly going to buy it...

Turning into a bit of a drama on there, if you check it out.

Can you give me any more details?  I recall the "rifle stolen by UPS employees" bit a few months back.  Same thing?
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The M-21 and the Galil Sniper both impressed me a hell of a lot more as precision battlefield weapons than the Draganov...

Yeh…

You should probably just get an M21, you’d be much better off…

J
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 6:25:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I don't want that...  
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Well, every time the mail was a little slow in moving one way or another this guy on GA would freak out. When my friend's money order didnt show up right away (like 48hrs after sending it, WA to CO) the guy FREAKED on my friend. And then when UPS was a couple of days late with the rifle and my friend mentioned it in passing to this guy, the guy appearently called a whole bunch of news outlets. I mean, its around X-mas first of all, so OF COURSE its going to be late. Second, unless it puts the feds in a bad light, WTF is up with calling the media in something regarding firearms? Especially like this ?!
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#24]
So, did your friend return the rifle or something?

What's the issue with it?

Supposedly, it has a dinked up bolt/bolt carrier and dust cover, but he's including new parts along with the dinked up parts...

Against my better judgement, I'm not leaving this alone, because I'm that interested in an SVD...
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top