Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/7/2003 9:52:37 PM EDT
I have a SLR I bought new years ago ($299, Those were the days!!). Recently the barrel opening suffered some damage (someone went nuts with a dremel cutoff and sliced through the barrel end lengthwise @ 1/2 inch to the end). It still shoots fine with no noticible loss of accuracy but I would like to try something different. I would like to shorten the barrel, recrown of course, and add a threaded FSB with an AK74 type brake to bring it out to about 16.5 inches total. This would also kill two birds since I would like to finally add the cleaning rod as well. Question: Has anyone done this? What mods are required to the barrel and how is the FSB attached and aligned? Does the brake have to be "permanantly" attached for legal purposes?

Second question since I am here: I have never fired an AK with an aftermarket type trigger (red star etc). Is there a trigger kit that I can install that will give me an AR type feel? Similar travel and pull as an AR stock trigger? I have recently gotten into AR's and when I shoot my SLR now, it feels like I am shooting a Mosin.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:15:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Was that somebody that went nuts..... you? J/K

Anyway, I think I'll follow this one, as I have been wondering some of the same things.  What exactly are the mechanics of cutting down a barrel?
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Was that somebody that went nuts..... you? J/K

Really, it was not me.  It was someone with  very little respect for AK's

Link Posted: 8/8/2003 3:47:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone done this?  Yes, we do it all the time.

What mods are required to the barrel and how is the FSB attached and aligned?  It will need to be turned down a bit to fit the i.d. of the sight base. Usually aligned by eye.

Does the brake have to be "permanantly" attached for legal purposes?  Yes, if the thread is 24-1.5 mm. Pinned and welded.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/8/2003 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It will need to be turned down a bit to fit the i.d. of the sight base.

It looks like the O.D. of the barrel in front of the gas block is .583.  What should I turn it down to?

Does the brake have to be "permanantly" attached for legal purposes?  Yes, if the thread is 24-1.5 mm. Pinned and welded.

Are you saying that permanent attachment of the brake is due to the threaded FSB or the shortened barrel?  Or both?

Thanks for the info

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top