Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/21/2003 5:09:45 PM EDT
After a great amount of research, reading, and asking questions, I seemed to have had my AK choice determined (Arsenal SLR101-S, pistol grip, NATO stock, muzzle break), and I was on the brink of getting it, but have been halted (and haunted) by the VEPR.

Can someone perhaps give me a basic comparison & contrast of these two? (price comparrison is not an issue) I am not too familiar with the VEPR per-se.  Are there significant reasons to lean toward or against the SLR over the VEPR or vice versa?  Are VEPR receivers milled or stamped?  Who are the "premier" VEPR manufacrurers?

Consider the configurations will be the same: 7.62x39, 16"bbl. with brake.

I frequent the range, and prefer to air out my guns as much as possible, so factor in that whichever I choose, it will get used.

Thanks, in advance to any input you folks may have.

Have a good holiday season,
Scott
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 5:20:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Vepr rifles are imported from Russia and assembled by Robinson Armament  www.robarm.com
These are based on the RPK receiver, they are stamped with double the thickness sheet metal and are very heavy compared to other AKs.
I am trying to find out why there is not more information besides what is at the Robarm website in my post www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=59028
Link Posted: 12/21/2003 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
So this means that all of the VEPR type rifles on the market will be from Robinson Armament?
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 5:32:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's an OPINION. If your going to geta 7.62x39 rifle get the SLR101S or a SAM7.For argument sake there practically the same rifle.The verp in that caliber is a waste of money. What I mean is to get the potentail out of the VEPR for the money spent get the .308 or .223. and enjoy the accuratecy of the VEPR and its more acurate round.After that would be the 5.45x39  and the 7,62x39 would be last pick. Get the VEPR in the caliber that gives it the most potential for its weight.The SLR101S are very nice for a 7.62x39 I have one.WarDawg
Link Posted: 12/22/2003 6:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for your valid input.  I checked on the weight differences, and according to their respective websites the SLR is 3.67kg or 8.09lbs. & the VEPR weighs in @ 8.5lbs.  The difference seems negligible.  

I appreciate Wardawg's comment on the accuracy of the 7.62x39 round.  That is a very valid point.

So for all intensive purposes, at the same caliber & bbl. length, the VEPR will be heavier, beefier-constructed, less comfortable, and equally as accurate as the SLR101S.  Is it safe to make those assumptions?

Well, that was worth the post, and now I feel I've covered my bases, and will most likely (famous last words), "stick to my guns" (had to use the pun), and get the Arsenal.  I thought purchasing the Saiga would have sated my AK urge, but as I was forewarned by reading this site, "it's only the beginning," and "nobody has only one."  Sucked in, I guess.

Another victim of the AK-vortex,
Scott
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top