Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/12/2005 7:52:19 AM EDT
I am looking at adding one of these rifles to the collection.  I like my ar's mostly, but I'm looking for something cheap and that I don't need to worry about if it gets abused.  

I am looking at either one of the New/excellent Yugo SKSs or else a WASR.  I looked in the review section and the WASR seems to be bottom of the barrel quality.  Cost is an issue, and the WASR would be twice what the Yugo would be.  The Yugo seems to have a pretty good reputation, so I'm leaning toward it.  What do you think?  Any advice appreciated
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, theyre two different beasts.

If you want accuracy, id lean toaward the SKS. The Yugo's bore are not chrome lined, however. 10 round capacity.

If youre looking to throw a lot of lead downrange semi-accurately, go with the WASR. Chrome lined bore, and the round capacity is almost endless, especially if using a drum.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 8:39:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Basically, do you want a weapon holding either 10rd or 30+ rds? You can get aftermarket duckbill mags for the SKS, but stay away from them.  Not too reliable. Stick with the original 10rd mags on the SKS.  And get some stripper clips too if you want "quick" reloads.  The SKS will be more accurate than a WASR-10 also.  

If you get a WASR-10, make sure it's the hi-cap version.  There are low-caps out there that only accept single stack mags.  The WASR-10 is more "fun", in my opinion.  Lot more accessories and mag options for it.  I own both a SKS and WASR-10.  I've added black furniture on mine and a krink flash hider on mine.  I like the way it looks now.  Also slapped on a 3 point tac sling.  It's been reliable so far.  Only got like 300rds down the barrel though.  And the 75rd Romy drum I got for it rocks too.

If it was me, I'd go for the WASR-10 now.  With the import parts ban coming into play in Jan 06, who knows what the price of a WASR, or another other AK-47/74 will be.  The price of SKS's shouldnt be affected after Jan 06.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:25:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I find that AKs are more accurate than the Yugo SKS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:43:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Go with the WASR,its more compact,parts are plentiful,mags are cheap [in-expensive] and they look kewl.As for the WASR being "The Bottom Of The Barrel",they're not that bad.I think of them as little diamonds in the rough,with just a little bit of effort,you can easily correct most problems I've seen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Go with the WASR,its more compact,parts are plentiful,mags are cheap [in-expensive] and they look kewl.As for the WASR being "The Bottom Of The Barrel",they're not that bad.I think of them as little diamonds in the rough,with just a little bit of effort,you can easily correct most problems I've seen.

I agree.  They're good guns.  You might get trigger slap at most, and that can be fixed pretty easily.  Plus like they said, they're easy to accessorize, add muzzle breaks, new furniture, and so on.  The Yugo SKS is great though.  I've had one, and I plan on getting another eventually.  I'm kinda at the same dilema, I have a fun show (a huge one) this weekend, and there's bound to be WASRs and Yugos all over the place, and I'm not sure which one I want to pick up.  I have a beautiful AK74, and now wanted something in 7.62x39.  Funny thing is, I've had both before, the WASR during the Ban and the Yugo right after, but then gave it to a friend as a wedding gift.  The Yugo is definately going to give you more accuracy than the WASR, but that's expected.  

I guess the best question to ask is, what are you going to use it for.  Off the bench shooting trying to get the best groups, or off the hip, at the local open dirt range blowing shit up?
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If it is a case of one or the other,I would get the sks.Usually the sks will be slightly more accurate than an ak,but not always.Also,the yugo sks tends to be more accurate than other sks varients,but that will very rifle to rifle.A wasr will cost you 350 to 400,an unissuied yugo sks should be less than 200 dollars.This will leave you with 150 to 200 to buy ammo.As was posted,stay away from the duckbill mags for the sks,they are crap.If you are just looking for another highcap rifle,get the wasr.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Look for a Mak90 or Maddi, better than the wasr.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#8]
WASR, baby, WASR!!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:04:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I own one of each.

My SKS is a Russian that I picked up from a friend, immaculate for $180.  Great gun, reliable as hell - simple to clean and maintain.  I agree stick with the 10 round fixed mag for utter reliability.

I also have a WASR-10 that I bought about 2 weeks ago.  Great gun, I have had no problems with mine in 300 rounds.  Stock was screaming for some stain and finishing but most people do that to their AKs anyways to add a personal touch.  Finish on the gun is scratched - its a fine gun for shooting, which is the main purpse of an AK.  

Hmm.....

Accuracy - SKS by a titch
Evil factor - AK
High Capacity - AK
Value for the dollar - SKS
Reliability - dead heat
Customization - AK

If you want a reliable, cheap semi auto then go SKS

If you want a reliable, evil looking, high capacity rifle you can tweak to your likings go AK

or do what I did and go both.........eventually

I loved my SKS but after buying my AK I dont shoot it much - I cleaned it, silicone socked it and put it in the trunk of my car......where it has stayed.  Still a great gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 4:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Get both.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Run away, this is how it starts a cheap gun to blast with,  with out the worry if it breaks.

Next step you realize how reliable they are without cleaning

Next it sinks in what a powerful round it is and the recoil is cool and don't have to worry if the round yaaw or something.

Next it dawns on you how cheap the ammo and guns are.

You save so much money that you buy a Dodge Viper. (the last part normally doesn't happen though)
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:11:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I am thinking about looking for an SKS soon. That said I have a few AK's and I would not go without one for an SKS.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Next step you realize how reliable they are without cleaning

Yep. 2400rds without cleaning. WASR10 bought during the ban. Rifle has about 4600rds total. It is much more fun to shoot compared to the SKS. The SKS is the red-headed stepchild of my collection.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:59:08 PM EDT
[#14]
+1
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get both.

+1

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top