Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page AK-47 » SKS
Site Notices
4/22/2019 5:32:20 PM
Posted: 9/23/2004 6:30:10 AM EDT
I now see some guys bake their furniture after cleaning up the cosmoline. I just wiped mine down thoruoughly with Minerial Spirits and then went over it with repeated coats of Formbys wood restorer with all natural preservatives. The wood looks really good but will I be sorry later when the Cos leeches out?
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 2:14:30 PM EDT
I didn't get that much more out by baking I don't think. It 'weeped' a little and I'd clean that off and repeat the process. I used mineral spirits also to clean mine before I baked it. I guess only time will tell. My thought is as long as it never gets 'oven hot' it won't seep out.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:42:01 PM EDT
I cleaned mine with mineral spirits and brake cleaner. I let it sit in my shed in the hot summer sun for a few days and cleaned it again. I sanded it down with 220 sandpaper and then I rubbed a coat of boiled linseed oil on it. After a couple of days I sealed it with 1 good coat of satin polyeurethane and when it dried wiped it down with 0000 steel wool. It is as smooth as a babies ass and the poly will seal it from anyting weeping it's way out and it will keep the grub from your hands from soaking into the wood. Just my 2-cents
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:57:10 AM EDT
I have had very good results using paint stripper on badly grease soaked stocks. It usually takes a few coats with scraping it off with a dull putty knife. You can also warm it up with a heat gun before you put on the paint remover. When you are satified with the way it looks, wipe it down with solvent or MS then after it dries completely, a day or so, sand it with fine sand paper to get all the raised grain off. Then I give it multiple coats of Birchwood Casey's Tru-Oil. Rub the first coat in with your fingers. Then use oooo (4 ought) steel wool between each coat. Three coats is usually enough, but it's up to you.

I bought two Albanian SKS's awhile back and have got one finished. If you want to see pics of them, one refinished and the other not, let me know. Both were equally awful. I don't know how to post pics here in a message, not sure they will let me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:20:58 AM EDT
I think when my SKS arrives (Tomorrow or Monday! w3wt!) I'll wipe the wood off with mineral spirits as best I can, then do the oven at 150° and wipe a couple times until the seepage stops. After, I'll probably use some Tung oil finish... then probably some wipe on poly that I have. The Poly should seal it up pretty good. I'll post results.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:51:18 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
I think when my SKS arrives (Tomorrow or Monday! w3wt!) I'll wipe the wood off with mineral spirits as best I can, then do the oven at 150° and wipe a couple times until the seepage stops. After, I'll probably use some Tung oil finish... then probably some wipe on poly that I have. The Poly should seal it up pretty good. I'll post results.

The only problem might be getting all the old finish off. If you don't get all the old finish off it will look splotchy. I've done it both ways and I prefer the paint stripper way as it's fast and thorough. It might speed the process a bit more if it were heated.

My two cents.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:12:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By overdriv:

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:

The only problem might be getting all the old finish off. If you don't get all the old finish off it will look splotchy. I've done it both ways and I prefer the paint stripper way as it's fast and thorough. It might speed the process a bit more if it were heated.

My two cents.

Easy Off
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 11:51:22 AM EDT

Easy Off

Easy off will work but is real slow, takes several application to get all the paint and gunk off/out of the wood. Paint Stripper did my Albanian stock in three applications.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 11:45:50 AM EDT
Do you remove all the metal parts off the wood before using paint stripper? And how do you remove the gas tube from the handguard?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:49:18 PM EDT
There is a pin at the rear of the handguard/gas tube the has to be driven out. I ruined the pin and replaced it with the correct size roll pin. I removed all steel hardware except the crossbolt and cross pin. The paint stripper did nothing to them. When it was done they looked like new. If you would be interested in a couple of pictures. I can show you the one I haven't started on yet and the finished one which started out as bad. Email me as I can't post pictures here. Make sure your email client and your ISP allow .jpg attachments.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 5:24:34 PM EDT
Thanks. I see the pin now. After a few whacks with a small hammer and punch I decided to leave well enough alone and just wipe it clean with mineral spirit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 6:42:32 PM EDT
I used some Easy Off on the stock while I was cleaning up the metal parts. Got most of the cosmo out. Then I wrapped it in tin foil and put it in the oven at 150° for 15 minutes and wiped off what seeped out, then did it again, for about 20 minutes, and wiped. Not much was coming out, so I let it cool, then wiped off with rags dipped in mineral spirits.

Came out OK and I haven't done anything yet. I'm going to lightly sand and then use some Tung Oil Finish, and probably some wipe on Poly.
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top