Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/16/2006 1:31:19 PM EDT
Hello all.  Quick question for anyone who has done this or tried to do it.  Essentially i am building an SKS to use w/ my night vision and feel bad about putting a barrel-mount tri-rail and laser on my beautiful unissued m59/66 yugo.  So, i will be buying a shooter's grade rifle to do this with.  Would like to put a synthetic stock on it since it will frequently be used in nasty weather, has anyone added an aftermarket stock to their Yugo SKS?  If so, was it a pain or was it cake just like other sks models?  Which stock?  Would love to see pics if anyone has any.  I was thinking either a dragunov style or one w/ the ar 6 position telescoping stock.  Any advice?  Also has anyone here successfully used a laser on their SKS?  I am somewhat concerned about the vibration caused by the massive bolt flying back and forth and knocking the zero off for my laser.  Could use the gas shutoff but would like to preserve the autoloading ability.  Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you all.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I am getting a T6 Tapco stock soon for my Yugo, and will post picks and let you know how it goes soon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 5:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Essentially i am building an SKS to use w/ my night vision and feel bad about putting a barrel-mount tri-rail and laser on my beautiful unissued m59/66 yugo.  So, i will be buying a shooter's grade rifle to do this with.

Also has anyone here successfully used a laser on their SKS?  I am somewhat concerned about the vibration caused by the massive bolt flying back and forth and knocking the zero off for my laser.  Could use the gas shutoff but would like to preserve the autoloading ability.  Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you all.

It's your rifle, but I don't get the idea of putting $500 worth of specialized accessories on a $100 rifle.

Leave the SKS as it is and put the doodads on an AR.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:30:18 PM EDT
[#3]
For the most part I totally agree w/ you, its a piece of history, thats why im gonna buy one in less than perfect shape to do it w/.  I just need a little larger bullet than what the AR gives me, and in my opinion, putting a 7.62x39 upper on my AR would be way more expensive than said project, but i do know what you mean.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 5:31:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the ati sporter stock was easy enough I had to move the thing near the front though  used  a hammer and punch I dont have a pic of what I am talking about about , but yes it was easy ,I wish there was a lefty model as the cheeck rest and grip are for right handed folks

Sorry for the confusion I am delerious with fever
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have not handled a Tapco stock, but the ATI stocks are poor.  Choate makes better aftermarket products. The original wood is a better companion to this rifle and lighter.

buckmeister

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy a shooters grade Yugo. You'll regret it. Mine can hardly get ten shots on paper at 100 yds.

I like ATI stocks(dragunov) but they do need work to be comfortable. The Choate is nice but they moved the pistol grip to far forward for me. It's good if you have short fingers. I put a Walnut Weatherby on one of mine. It looks nicest of all my SKS's. Feels good/ shoots good too. Wish I had a digital to post a pic.

Stay away from the shooter grade thing
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top