Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2003 1:32:57 PM EDT
So my question is are all scope mounts made the same?  The ones that just replace the top cover of the reciever just seem like they would move the zero.  The ones that have the set screws and that replace the top cover look cheesey to me.  

What ones do you have on your rifles and how do they work?
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 4:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
http://www.simonov.net/mounts.htm

look that over, i have a dc engeenering mount and im very happy with it. dont buy it with a scope use your own. when i purchased mine they didnt send the rubber peices that slide into the "rails" between the mount and the receiver. tell them you want extras
Link Posted: 9/28/2003 7:19:49 AM EDT
[#2]
A couple weeks ago I started the process of mount and scope shopping for my chinese SKS.  Cheaper than dirt has the Leapers mount and Leapers short scopes on sale, and being the perenial tightwad, I ordered it.  

I had decided I wanted one of the mounts with set screws on the sides.  The Leapers mount is rough finished and matt black compared to the smooth finish of the original cover, no big deal to me.  It was slightly smaller than the original too, which made it extremely sloppy, but the set screws has it nice and solid on there.  

I had read through siminov.net after I had already ordered and read the troubles he had with the leapers mount.  But I ran 50 through it yesterday sighting in and it hasn't moved. I dont know if it makes much difference but I put in recoil buffer in at the same time.

Some things I like about that mount system, Its truly see through and can use the open sights.  The mount is so so in quality, but the 6x32 scope is very nice for the 20 bucks it cost. The short scope still lets me use stripper clips to load. I had ordered the deflector too, just in case, but it didn't dawn on me that I couldn't use the strippers with it, and I didn't need it anyway.  The short 6x is plenty for the rifle anyway for what I am doing with it.
It remains to be seen how it will hold up, but I am fairly pleasd with it so far.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This is a fairly good site for a visual on Military Simonov sniper rifles.

http://www.carbinesforcallectors.com/
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
ive used leapers high rise see threw scope mounts on several of my sks rifles. they have always held zero for me. the only thing i dont like is the upper scope rings are some type of cheap cast metal
so you need to be very carful that you dont over tighten them, or they will break. other than that there good mounts.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:57:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Tapco has a side plate to convert the regular see through mount to a rail for weaver mounts. I am guesing it fits Leapers, but it doesn't specifically say that.  I figure if I break one of the original rings I would replace them with that.

www.tapco.com/

Or they have one that is set up already with the rail, which works out to about as much as the one I bought from Cheaper than dirt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all your help!
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top