Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2004 9:11:57 AM EDT
I'm sure you guys are tired of fielding SKS 922(r) questions, but I have another--

About two weeks ago I went to a gun show here in Dallas, hoping to pick up an AK.  They didn't have many around (and it was Sunday), so I wound up buying an SKS instead, despite knowing relatively little about them.  I'd read some general stuff, but wasn't sure on modification law.  

The gun came with a bayonet and folding stock.  Now I'm assuming since it came from an FFL, that it would be 922(r) compliant...but I didn't get any paperwork about 922, nor did I know enough to ask at the time.

So my question is this: am I safe in assuming the gun is 922(r) compliant?  And, more importantly, how do I determine/prove this?  Disassemble it and look for country markings on everything?  

Eventually I'd like to remove the bayonet and put on a bipod, and maybe add a muzzle brake.

Can you guys help clear this up for me?  I really appreciate it.

http://www.lonestarsteaks.com/images/sks.jpg
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
All SKS's, except for the Chinese SKS's, are C&R weapons. They can be imported into the country with bayonets, granade lunchers, night sights, etc.... because that is the way they were built. Because they have value as a collectors item, the BATF lets them come into the country.
If they weren't C&R they would not be able to be imported, because they have "non-sporting" features, bayonets, granade lunchers, night sights, etc.... , because 922(r) states the no foreign made weapon can be imported into this country, that has these "unsporting" features.

If your SKS had 10 or less foreign made parts, then it qualifies as a U.S.A. made weapon.

Any rifle with ten-or-less imported parts is not considered an imported rifle and is not subject to 922(r). While there may be dozens of parts in any particular rifle, ATF has defined a list of specific parts that are “counted”. Note that the total number of “counted parts” is not important, just the number which are imported. So often swapping just a few imported parts for US-made ones frees a rifle from the provisions of Title 18 USC § 922(r).

What are the parts that “count”?

178.39 defines a list of twenty parts that ATF considerers when deciding if a firearm is imported or not. The total number of listed parts in the rifle is not important, so often swapping just a few imported parts for US-made ones frees a rifle from the provisions of Title 18 USC § 922(r). The listed parts are:

1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings

2) Barrels

3) Barrel extensions

4) Mounting blocks (trunions)

5) Muzzle attachments

6) Bolts

7) Bolt carriers

8) Operating rods

9) Gas pistons

10) Trigger housings

11) Triggers

12) Hammers

13) Sears

14) Disconnectors

15) Buttstocks

16) Pistol grips

17) Forearms, handguards

18) Magazine bodies

19) Followers

20) Floorplates

If more than ten of the listed parts are imported, the entire rifle is considered imported. If ten or less of the listed parts are imported, the entire rifle is considered “US-Made”. Recall that the onerous requirements of Title 18 USC § 922(r) only apply to imported rifles.

Just how many of these parts are in an SKS Carbine?

Here are the relevant parts in an SKS Carbine:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Bolt

4. Bolt carrier

5. Operating rod [aka: driving rod; aka: gas piston extension]

6. Gas piston

7. Trigger housing

8. Trigger

9. Hammer

10. Sear

11. Disconnector, bolt follower

12. Disconnector, rebound [aka: trigger mount arm]

13. Stock

14. Handguard

15. Magazine body

16. Follower

17. Floorplate

If you beat the 10 or less game, you can have your detachable magazine.

this is from another sks discussion. here is the link:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=83&t=63113
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#2]
The dealer may very well have slapped it together after the expiration of the '94 AWB last month, thinking that it was legal.

You might want to take a look at www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13820.  It involves my Chicom paratrooper, which is almost like yours, except for the shorter barrel and spike bayonet.

We know that the ATI folder is US-made.  If that magazine is US-made as well, then all you should need in order to be 922(r) compliant is a US-made gas piston and US-made operating rod.  Tapco has both of those pieces, and they're both marked as such.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/8/2004 12:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
From the looks of it:

It's could be an early Chinese or Russian.  There should be markings either on the receiver cover or on the sides of the receiver to clue you in on the origin of the this rifle.

As it sits, it's most likely not compliant.

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top