Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/18/2005 9:31:43 AM EDT
Just stripped my 552 to show you guys, how much it is related to AK.
I generally dont like AK's much, but this one is maybe my dearest toy!

http://www.hunt101.com/img/336952.jpg

optics removed:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355618.jpg

rear pin opened, recoil spring comes out:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355619.jpg

lower separated:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355615.jpg

hand guards off:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355613.jpg

gas tube. notice the adjusting knob in front:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355612.jpg

bolt (needs some cleaning http://www.hunt101.com/img/355611.jpg

all parts (yes, forgot recoil spring!)
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355609.jpg

Thats it, hope you enjoyed these pics.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
liar, you just wanted to make us poor Americans feel bad
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting pics, really demonstrates the similarities. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Oh gosh, what a thing of beauty. Is Sig still planning on making 55X series rifles in the US? I heard they were and that the cost would be "under 1500", whatever that means.

What does it take to aquire such nice toys in Finland? Is it select fire or semi only?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 9:56:37 AM EDT
[#5]
One more jealous bastard here.

Side questions though.

Semi-Auto only I assume?
No short barrel laws in your country?
Cost thier?
Reliability?
Can you throw it in the mud and still fire like an AK?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Really nice, Thanks for the pics.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Side questions though.

Semi-Auto only I assume?
Cost thier?
Reliability?
Can you throw it in the mud sand and still fire like an AK?

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oh gosh, what a thing of beauty. Is Sig still planning on making 55X series rifles in the US? I heard they were and that the cost would be "under 1500", whatever that means.

What does it take to aquire such nice toys in Finland? Is it select fire or semi only?

In Finland it takes SBR lisence to buy 552 (or any short rifle). This one is semi only.

Quoted:

Side questions though.

Semi-Auto only I assume?
Cost thier?
Reliability?
Can you throw it in the mud and still fire like an AK?

- Cost is really high in here too, somewhere around $2700-3000 nowdays.
- Reliable, Yes.
- Perhaps i could throw it in the mud/sand and fire... Noooo, it's too expensive to tryhanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:30:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting........I see the AK, the (original) AR-180, the FN-FAL and the M16 family of weapons all combined in one way or another. Wish we could have 'em................
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#10]
i'm sure Todd will get them to us soon!  

M490- that is a thing of beauty, thanks for posting.  if you get ahold of a full size version i'd really appreciate you posting pics of that too.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:44:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank you.

I wonder if you could take some pictures of the folding mechanism of the stock as well as the internal parts of the lower please?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#12]

fuck

that shit is hot
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:56:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thank you.

I wonder if you could take some pictures of the folding mechanism of the stock as well as the internal parts of the lower please?

I could, but it's so dirty inside that i'm shamed to do that!h.gif

There are a lot of nice pics and downloadable pdf manuals in manufacturers site (swissarms.ch)
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:03:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I went to Sig academy  a couple of months ago and showed some interest in firing one of the 550's and the instructor said "sure if we have time at the end".  I was pissed when it rained out and we didn't "have time".  But I did noticed in one of the future class outlines they put in a test fire demo of the 550 for all class attendees.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Thank you for the pics.  Nice gun.

GROUP BUY ON TICKETS TO FINLAND!!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I went to Sig academy  a couple of months ago and showed some interest in firing one of the 550's and the instructor said "sure if we have time at the end".  I was pissed when it rained out and we didn't "have time".  But I did noticed in one of the future class outlines they put in a test fire demo of the 550 for all class attendees.

Which course was it?  I took their 5-day carbine course.  Good stuff.  I kind of laughed when the instructor had a shell stick in his chamber.

M490,

Is the upper the registered portion of the firearm in Finland?  I think that's the way it is in the US.  I'm not sure why.  

I'm currently putting together a semi-auto Suomi M31.    
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:24:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Think this may be in response to this thread  

WHAT'S THE BEST NEO-AK?

The thread deals with 55X to some extent - heres Templar's repsonse

The upper recievers should be the same as the standard 55X series. The main difference is that lower receiver will supposedly be made of weapons grade polymer, like a glock, HK USP, Walther P99...etc.

Pricing?????? Should be under $2K. Made in New Hampshire.

Mags will probably be standard SIG 550 type. They might be building a lower receiver that would accept NATO STANAG magazines, like the M16.

So soon 55X will be available, or Templar's pulling my chain - which should resolve with a plane ticket and some kind of scatological event. Templars a good guy so I have no doubt some time after February we will know more.

Finns have a very enlightened outlook towards firearms. M490 - I think Mattl was asking in general. IIRC Like the Swiss, a license is required, but you may own FA. Suppressors arent specifically regulated. Plus the people are great and the Vodka isnt bad (they have a crazy distro system - but it works) Go during the summer - you'll barely sleep

Kiitos M490, - btw how much are 55X/PE90 magazines in Finland?

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Which course was it?  I took their 5-day carbine course.  Good stuff.  I kind of laughed when the instructor had a shell stick in his chamber.he
I'm currently putting together a semi-auto Suomi M31.hr

Yes, upper is the registered portion (if you mean that you can register only upper receiver as a rifle)?
I really like that, because AR-15 lowers are really hard to get from U.S. nowdays, so i can use many uppers in one lower legally.

Congrats for Suomi project, i love to shoot Suomi SMG! We have used auto Suomi in practical stages and it was great fun! Short bursts and plates are just flying in the air!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Think this may be in response to this thread  

WHAT'S THE BEST NEO-AK?

The thread deals with 55X to some extent - heres Templar's repsonse

The upper recievers should be the same as the standard 55X series. The main difference is that lower receiver will supposedly be made of weapons grade polymer, like a glock, HK USP, Walther P99...etc.

Pricing?????? Should be under $2K. Made in New Hampshire.

Mags will probably be standard SIG 550 type. They might be building a lower receiver that would accept NATO STANAG magazines, like the M16.

So soon 55X will be available, or Templar's pulling my chain - which should resolve with a plane ticket and some kind of scatological event.have
Finns have a very enlightened outlook towards firearms. M490 - I think Mattl was asking in general. IIRC Like the Swiss, a license is required, but you may own FA. Suppressors arent specifically regulated. Plus the people are great and the Vodka isnt bad (they have a crazy distro system - but it works) Go during the summer - you'll barely sleep

Kiitos M490, - btw how much are 55X/PE90 magazines in Finland?

Luck
Alac

Good to hear that you will get 55X there! Can't wait to see what it looks like with polymer lower!

You have definetly been in Finland all right!

55x mags costs a fortune in here, about $65 each.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:56:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Thank you.

Ok, here are some pics from the internal parts. Sorry, it's really dirty!
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355996.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/355997.jpg

And then the stock mechanism:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355998.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/355999.jpg

One more thing. If you take the pistol grip out, you'll be able to adjust your trigger second stage heavier or lighter. Really nice feature!
http://www.hunt101.com/img/355994.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/355995.jpg
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Beautiful, just beautiful.

One thing I could not tell is what kind of ejector does it have?  Is the ejector a plunger type built into the bolt face?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#22]
damn damn...... gottttta have one...........................   in my deram.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#23]
God that is so cool!!!! I may need to start a special savings account.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#24]
<--See, I want one really bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#25]

i'm seeing more FAL than anything else.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:44:35 PM EDT
[#26]

NICE!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#27]
yes, very cool. I want a Sig really bad.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:37:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Hmm.......I might have to part with an AR if the SIG is produced for civilian consumption
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Sir U Suck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:41:39 PM EDT
[#30]
If only they made one chambered in 7.62x39  But I'll gladly buy the .308 version.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:39:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Interesting........I see the AK, the (original) AR-180, the FN-FAL and the M16 family of weapons all combined in one way or another. Wish we could have 'em................

Thats exactly what I see also. Took the best of everything and threw it in a pot . And now ya got a kickass rifle. Sweet. warDawg
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#32]
M490, would you mind posting pics of the internal portion of the upper receiver from the bottom?  I'm curious if your upper has the semiauto "block" welded in on the right side just below the rail the bolt rides on.  Your lower appears to be a fullauto lower, complete with the automatic sear hole on the right side that has been blocked and the fullauto lockout lever.  Nice pics and congratulations on a sweet little rifle.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Damn nice gun!! A friend of mine working for Blackwater in Iraq was carrying one of those!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Beautiful, just beautiful.

One thing I could not tell is what kind of ejector does it have?  Is the ejector a plunger type built into the bolt face?

Here we go:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/356435.jpg

Quoted:
M490, would you mind posting pics of the internal portion of the upper receiver from the bottom?  I'm curious if your upper has the semiauto "block" welded in on the right side just below the rail the bolt rides on.  Your lower appears to be a fullauto lower, complete with the automatic sear hole on the right side that has been blocked and the fullauto lockout lever.  Nice pics and congratulations on a sweet little rifle.

Please! Tell me more!hatHow you know all this?

http://www.hunt101.com/img/356433.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/img/356434.jpg
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:03:22 AM EDT
[#35]

I want one!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#36]
showoff
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Damn... I really don't like you...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#38]

That IS Art.

That is beautiful, thank you for the pics.  

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Thank you very much, M490.  You've made my day!  Your rifle looks clean to me -- you should see the inside of my AK.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Please! Tell me more! Not that i'm going to get it back in auto, but all this is nice to know!
How you know all this?

M490,  you have a semiauto upper receiver which can be identified by that small steel carriage block welded into the upper on the right side just opposite the ejector.  I cannot tell from your pictures whether you have a semiauto or fullauto bolt carrier.  It is my understanding that Sig only makes the 552 bolt carrier as a fullauto, but I may be wrong.  Also, the fullauto bolt carrier may not fit into the semiauto upper receiver that has a carriage block welded in place.  Again, I am not sure of this as I have never tried to install one myself.  The differences between the fullauto and semiauto receivers are explained here:

KB's Sig 55x fullauto vs. Semi receiver comparison

If you have a fullauto bolt carrier, I believe all you need to do in order to restore that pupy to fullauto is to get fullauto internals for your lower receiver and mill the carriage block out of the upper receiver.  Also, I don't know if your lower has the fullauto disconnector (automatic sear) hole welded up- if so, you would also need to drill this out.  This is all ASSUMING it is legal in your country for you to do so....In the US it would buy you a ticket to a nice jail cell.  Larry Gaglio at Capital City Firearms is a great resource for Sig 55x information and parts (in the United States).

Again, very nice rifle.

Josh
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
bump
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 9:27:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Please! Tell me more!hatHow you know all this?

M490,  you have a semiauto upper receiver which can be identified by that small steel carriage block welded into the upper on the right side just opposite the ejector.  I cannot tell from your pictures whether you have a semiauto or fullauto bolt carrier.  It is my understanding that Sig only makes the 552 bolt carrier as a fullauto, but I may be wrong.  Also, the fullauto bolt carrier may not fit into the semiauto upper receiver that has a carriage block welded in place.  Again, I am not sure of this as I have never tried to install one myself.  The differences between the fullauto and semiauto receivers are explained here:

KB's Sig 55x fullauto vs. Semi receiver comparison

If you have a fullauto bolt carrier, I believe all you need to do in order to restore that pupy to fullauto is to get fullauto internals for your lower receiver and mill the carriage block out of the upper receiver.  Also, I don't know if your lower has the fullauto disconnector (automatic sear) hole welded up- if so, you would also need to drill this out.  This is all ASSUMING it is legal in your country for you to do so....In the US it would buy you a ticket to a nice jail cell.  Larry Gaglio at Capital City Firearms is a great resource for Sig 55x information and parts (in the United States).

Again, very nice rifle.

Josh

Thanks Josh!
It is also illegal in Finland to restore semiauto back to fullauto. I am absolutely not planning to do that. It is just good to know, what are the differences between them.

Thanks for the good link!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:42:11 AM EDT
[#43]
I have a real love hate relasonship with you right now...

Its intresting to see that the 552 has even more of a AK looking BC then the 550,551...

Thank you so much..

BTW for the rest of you they have a picture of a torwn down 550 on World.guns.ru i love how the 550,551 have the recoil spring on the gas piston..

man i am thinking i might have to sell every firearm i own JUST to buy a 551 when the hit the US... but it would be worth it..

Jess
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#44]
OK.................why arent these in the US?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:03:42 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
OK.................why arent these in the US?

Thank him, the 89 import ban killed the Sig's coming in. I had a Sig AMT that I bought in '88, and was planning on more Swiss guns but nooooooooo.

I've shot a 552 that belongs to a local swat member & fellow Arfcommer. VERY nice weapon, and in F/A it's controllable and smooth.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#46]

Thanks Josh!
It is also illegal in Finland to restore semiauto back to fullauto. I am absolutely not planning to do that. It is just good to know, what are the differences between them.

Thanks for the good link!

So, what are the regulations for machinegun ownership in Finland?  I was under the impression that you guys were allowed to own machineguns without restriction once you had a permit to do so.  Can you not buy newly manufactured machineguns?  Or is it just illegal for an individual to convert a semiauto into a fullauto?  

Thanks,

Josh
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Yes, upper is the registered portion (if you mean that you can register only upper receiver as a rifle)?

Well, to be quite accurate, the upper receiver itself (or lower or any receiver) does not require any license or such. Barrels and "locking devices" (in practice the bolt or bolt head, depending on the design of the gun) need a license in addition to complete firearms of course.

So anyone in Finland could buy/import/own a shipping container full of full auto M16 lowers without any paperwork, for example.  The problem would be getting the export license from the US...

If you already have a registered gun, you may buy barrels and bolts for it, you just need to notify the authorities within 30 days. So I could buy any number of uppers for my AR-15 as long as I drop by the police station to tell them.

This leads to this slightly amusing situation:

I could buy any number of lower receivers without any paperwork.
I can also buy any number of uppers.
But I may only combine them into one functional rifle at time!
And I could have a complete full auto lower sitting in my gun safe next to an upper (with full auto bolt carrier)- as long as I never combine the two.

The gun laws in every country have their strange aspects.

Quoted:

So, what are the regulations for machinegun ownership in Finland?  I was under the impression that you guys were allowed to own machineguns without restriction once you had a permit to do so.  Can you not buy newly manufactured machineguns?  Or is it just illegal for an individual to convert a semiauto into a fullauto?  

Thanks,

Josh

There are no "illegal full auto parts" as such etc. but of course it is illegal to convert a semi to full auto.

In practice only officially approved collectors can own full auto firearms, and nowadays the policy of the authorities is that usually new collectors don't have a right to shoot their guns, at least without applying for (an expensive) one time permit for doing so. This has po'd the collector community as one would expect.
Of course many older collectors have full auto guns that they can still fire - but if they buy more, they too often get the clause in their permit that these new guns may not be fired!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:54:00 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank you some_finn for explainining this.

I am currently waiting approval for collector status. We shall see what comes out!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#49]
M490, thanks for sharing!  It's great to be able to get a close look at the mechanics of something that is not available here.

It just goes to show...  we always want what we can't have!!!

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#50]
You know, what's really interesting here, is that it wouldn't be that hard to come up with a two piece receiver that used almost all of the AK's parts.  Picture this.  Lower receiver houses the FCG and magwell of course.  Upper receiver has the bolt rails and ejector.  You'd need to come up with a new front trunnion, but that wouldn't be too hard.  a rotating thumb safety to replace the current selector.  

What makes it all moot of course, is that the barrel import ban makes using a kit for most of the parts un feasible.  If we could get the barrels in, you'd have a US made upper & lower receiver, a US buttstock and probably US handguards as well since to make it really nice you'd scrap the rear sight base and put your rear sight on the back of the upper receiver anyway.  IF there wasn't the new ban, you could take your kit and use the barrel, piston, stock FCG and bolt/bolt carrier.  The only things you probably wouldn't use would be the buttstock, pistol grip and forend.  Oh well, guess we'll just have to settle for the SIG.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top