Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2008 6:16:37 PM EDT
I am thinking about SBR ing an AK pistol any special pistol easier to work with, or would it be cheaper to build from scratch.
Link Posted: 10/9/2008 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Seeing how I have only built AK pistols and not purchased any AK (pistol or rifle) already built I would say building it is the best way to go.  Having said that, if I were to get an AK pistol I would go with Centerfiresystem.com's AK pistol in 223.  My reason is to have an easier round to reload and one that is more readily available.  Then of course I could also use my Yugo M92 AK (in 223) mags for both my Yugo and AK pistol.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I believe it is impossible to SBR something that was purchased as a pistol.  You need to either start with a rifle or build from scratch (my preference).  

I personally am not sold on the benefits of .223 in the AK platform, esp. with a short barrel, unless you like the idea of minimal accuracy and minimal power in one small package.

Seriously, though, talk to the ATF before you buy a pistol......I've always been told "Once a pistol, always a pistol."  
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]

I believe it is impossible to SBR something that was purchased as a pistol.

You can register a pistol as a SBR.  See the General Class 3 forum.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 4:57:00 AM EDT
[#4]
yeah, thats wrong

once a pistol always a pistol refers to the fact you can put a stock on a pistol, but you cant take the stock off a rifle
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:39:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you cant take the stock off a rifle

Sure you can, as long as OAL is still within minimum spec.  This one doesn't have a stock per se, just a buttpad:

And it's 100% legal to possess and use.

Same rationale, if i take the stock off a Remington 700 with a 24"+ barrel, it's not magically considered an SBR because OAL is still well above minimum standards.
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#6]
yes, of course, ATF minimums must be taken into account
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Totally legal to SBR either a pistol or rifle. You can turn a pistol into a rifle but not a rifle into a pistol, so it's "once a rifle always a rifle". When you build a NFA firearm, you don't necessarily fit into all regulations, such as lengths or 922(r).

As for the bullpup, I wouldn't call that a handgun until I had a BATFE letter stating such. With the P90 being out and considered a rifle, it might be a tough sale...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:58:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks, guys for the clarification.  I had heard the pistol comment from several sources, and it seemed logical.  

My other mistake was telling the OP to "talk" to the ATF.  Unfortunately, in the past when I've called the ATF with questions, I've gotten different answers from different agents, as I am sure many others have.  Probably the best thing to do (where AK pistols and any home-built weapons are concerned) is write or email, so you get a reply that can be documented.  That may save your ass from a lot of explaining in the future when you come across someone that is both uninformed AND in a position of authority.
Link Posted: 10/15/2008 6:55:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks, guys for the clarification.  I had heard the pistol comment from several sources, and it seemed logical.  

My other mistake was telling the OP to "talk" to the ATF.  Unfortunately, in the past when I've called the ATF with questions, I've gotten different answers from different agents, as I am sure many others have.  Probably the best thing to do (where AK pistols and any home-built weapons are concerned) is write or email, so you get a reply that can be documented.  That may save your ass from a lot of explaining in the future when you come across someone that is both uninformed AND in a position of authority.

Exactly, and don't forget to print that out and keep it some where safe.  You would hate to have an ATF agent sitting there waiting for your computer while it crashes and loses everything (I know, that never happens).
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 10:53:08 AM EDT
[#10]
here is what I was thinking of adding a stock to... after proper paperwork.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta/storeproduct418.aspx  

or a build
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
As for the bullpup, I wouldn't call that a handgun until I had a BATFE letter stating such. With the P90 being out and considered a rifle, it might be a tough sale...

Who's calling it a handgun?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top