Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/11/2004 7:55:25 AM EDT
Well, just found out my first NFA item went pending - My form 1 to  SBR my krink.  The other transfer I have is still waiting to get to my dealer.  Funny how my transfer was second in line and it's pending (for about 30 days, now).

So since this is post ban gun (7.62), if I remove the baffle from 'soup can' flashhider and just permanently attach the outer portion of the FH - effectively a barrel extension, will that be good enough?  Or must I also drill a few holes in the outer portion to qualify as a comp and not a FH?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 9:42:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 10:37:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Bob,

Its fine to SBR a post ban rifle, but all the AWB rules apply - No FH's, folding stocks.  My question is: How do I made the Bulgy FH into a compesator so I dont violate the law.  I didnt ask on AR side 'cause I rarely read anything about AK's over there.

You are correct that you cant Manufacture an assault weapon (yet) but since it has a non- folding folder and only a pistol grip, Its not an assault weapon (it just pretends to be one on the internet).
Link Posted: 5/11/2004 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Bob,

Its fine to SBR a post ban rifle, but all the AWB rules apply - No FH's, folding stocks.  My question is: How do I made the Bulgy FH into a compesator so I dont violate the law.  I didnt ask on AR side 'cause I rarely read anything about AK's over there.

What kind of flash hider is it? You sure it's a flash hider? The one that comes with all the current bulgarian AK74 kits is a muzzle brake. Basically, the difference between a flash hider and a MB is that the MB has a baffle with holes on the sides to port the gas out, Flash hider has no baffle and holes in sides, and on the same note a muzzle attatchent with the baffle and no holes would be considered a sound-surpressor (so yes, you can make a MB into a surpressor [in legal terms] by blocking up the holes in it ).

A pic of the muzzle attatchment would help alot in telling you the correct modifications to make it legal (assuming you solder it on or whatever. Maybe even loctite it on )
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 5:39:47 AM EDT
[#5]
here's a link to the same FH a guys selling in the EE

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=123&t=208637

Link Posted: 5/12/2004 7:43:15 AM EDT
[#6]
My suggestion? Buy it, save it for four months. Sept rolls around, install it. In the meantime, get a AK74 brake and see if you have to silver solder it temporarily to make sure it complies with the current ban. The threads on it allowing it to accept flash hiders makes it fit that I believe. That way you can have the bets of both worlds in the meantime.
Link Posted: 5/12/2004 8:44:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Guys, he said he has the "soup can" style flash hider, and if he has a 7.62 SBR Krink he probably got the parts from KVAR, which means he has a Bulgarian 7.62 kit with the 4 piece muzzle device.
THis is a very effective break AND flash hider, and it is very well designed. It is used for .30 cal and 5.56 cal Bulgarian short berreled rifles.  NOW, getting around the flash hider effect might be a bit tricky, and removing the forcing cone inside might not turn it completely into a muzzle extension.  Personally to me, the gun is unshootable with out it (my buddy has a transferable .30 cal krink with this attachment) and I would leave the damn thing in place. It is a overly loud fireball
otherwise.....which certainly is fun SOMETIMES but an annoyance for normal shooting.
I am not saying this necessity justifies the leaving of the can on there...and I am sure there are plenty of other of 24x1.5 mm threaded devices out there you could use/ and or butcher to put on your rifle for now....and use the best one (soup can) when sept rolls around...
-C
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Like chwi548 said, don’t have it built up until after September. That’s what I’m doing. I’m hoping that the AWB will go away in September and then the SBR’s will be cool as ‘assault weapons’ again; I really don’t want to pay for any more pre-ban weapons or mags. At any rate, I’d hold off until September and if things don’t change, you’re only out four months.

BTW, hat receiver did you use? I want to have mine on OOW receivers but change the model to AKS 47S and have it registered as such (I think AKS 47S is supposed to be correct, anyone know for sure?)

Link Posted: 5/14/2004 1:07:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Used a OOW receiver and registered as an AK-47SU
Link Posted: 5/14/2004 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I know four months may seem like forever but why not wait and see what happens before you do anything that is hard to undo. I have lots of projects on temporary hold until September.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top