Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/4/2003 7:06:19 PM EDT
I've been a lurker here for quite a while, but I haven't seen an answer to a couple of questions.
I just purchased my first AK clone, a new SA-93. It functioned perfectly on the range today using some Wolf and Silver Bear Ammo, which is more than I expected. Most semi-autos I've shot required 50-200 rds. for break-in, except this one.
The gun functions great, but the thumbhole stock doesn't feel right. So I'm going to upgrade the stock to a standard pistol grip setup. i just don't know which one to get. I realize I'm going to have to play the 10 parts or less game, so that also enters into this choice.
If I install an American made stock (3 pcs.) and an American made gas piston, I should come out OK in the 10 parts game. If I install a Bulgarian stock set, I'll upgrade the FCS and the gas piston. I'm probably pretty close in terms of money spent on the transformation, even though there is quite a bit of latitude in parts price. I would like it to look decent when I'm finished, so I think I'll pass on the surplus beater stocks that are available. The Ironwood laminated stock looks intriguing. I think it would look good with a little sanding and some BLO or better. The Ironwood stocks aren't as long as the "NATO" stocks, from what I can tell. Is that going to be a problem? I'm 5'11" and used to the size of an AR. Ironwood sells some special hardware for use with a single tang receiver. Should I go with that or add the tang and go for two tang wood? There is a hole in the receiver behind the trigger guard rivet, which I assume is for the lower tang. Will I have to drill out the existing trigger guard rivet, since it appears that the tang has two holes in it? Should I attempt bucking the rivets myself or farm it out? There is a well thought of AK shop a reasonable drive from here, so I can get help if I get in over my head.
Last but not least, am I on the right track here or have I missed something major?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:21:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/4/2003 7:23:18 PM EDT by Mbsk01]

Originally Posted By Groundhogassassin:
I've been a lurker here for quite a while, but I haven't seen an answer to a couple of questions.
I just purchased my first AK clone, a new SA-93.

congrats

It functioned perfectly on the range today using some Wolf and Silver Bear Ammo, which is more than I expected. Most semi-autos I've shot required 50-200 rds. for break-in, except this one.
The gun functions great, but the thumbhole stock doesn't feel right. So I'm going to upgrade the stock to a standard pistol grip setup. i just don't know which one to get. I realize I'm going to have to play the 10 parts or less game, so that also enters into this choice.
If I install an American made stock (3 pcs.) and an American made gas piston, I should come out OK in the 10 parts game. If I install a Bulgarian stock set, I'll upgrade the FCS and the gas piston. I'm probably pretty close in terms of money spent on the transformation, even though there is quite a bit of latitude in parts price. I would like it to look decent when I'm finished, so I think I'll pass on the surplus beater stocks that are available. The Ironwood laminated stock looks intriguing. I think it would look good with a little sanding and some BLO or better.

There was a guy on ebay a month or two ago who was selling Polish wooden furniture for a milled receiver, in good shape at a decent price. So maybe just keep your eyes open.

The Ironwood stocks aren't as long as the "NATO" stocks, from what I can tell. Is that going to be a problem? I'm 5'11" and used to the size of an AR. Ironwood sells some special hardware for use with a single tang receiver. Should I go with that or add the tang and go for two tang wood? There is a hole in the receiver behind the trigger guard rivet, which I assume is for the lower tang. Will I have to drill out the existing trigger guard rivet, since it appears that the tang has two holes in it? Should I attempt bucking the rivets myself or farm it out?

I don't know much about that personally, though I think I would prefer to have a double tang.

There is a well thought of AK shop a reasonable drive from here, so I can get help if I get in over my headLast but not least, am I on the right track here or have I missed something major?

You seem to be on the right track.

Thanks

Top Top