Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/4/2003 7:06:19 PM EDT
I've been a lurker here for quite a while, but I haven't seen an answer to a couple of questions.
I just purchased my first AK clone, a new SA-93.  It functioned perfectly on the range today using some Wolf and Silver Bear Ammo, which is more than I expected.  Most semi-autos I've shot required 50-200 rds. for break-in, except this one.
The gun functions great, but the thumbhole stock doesn't feel right.  So I'm going to upgrade the stock to a standard pistol grip setup.  i just don't know which one to get.  I realize I'm going to have to play the 10 parts or less game, so that also enters into this choice.
If I install an American made stock (3 pcs.) and an American made gas piston, I should come out OK in the 10 parts game.  If I install a Bulgarian stock set, I'll upgrade the FCS and the gas piston.  I'm probably pretty close in terms of money spent on the transformation, even though there is quite a bit of latitude in parts price.  I would like it to look decent when I'm finished, so I think I'll pass on the surplus beater stocks that are available.  The Ironwood laminated stock looks intriguing.  I think it would look good with a little sanding and some BLO or better.  The Ironwood stocks aren't as long as the "NATO" stocks, from what I can tell.  Is that going to be a problem?  I'm 5'11" and used to the size of an AR.  Ironwood sells some special hardware for use with a single tang receiver.  Should I go with that or add the tang and go for two tang wood?  There is a hole in the receiver behind the trigger guard rivet, which I assume is for the lower tang.  Will I have to drill out the existing trigger guard rivet, since it appears that the tang has two holes in it?  Should I attempt bucking the rivets myself or farm it out?  There is a well thought of AK shop a reasonable drive from here, so I can get help if I get in over my head.
Last but not least, am I on the right track here or have I missed something major?

Thanks

Link Posted: 8/4/2003 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been a lurker here for quite a while, but I haven't seen an answer to a couple of questions.
I just purchased my first AK clone, a new SA-93.  

congrats

It functioned perfectly on the range today using some Wolf and Silver Bear Ammo, which is more than I expected.  Most semi-autos I've shot required 50-200 rds. for break-in, except this one.
The gun functions great, but the thumbhole stock doesn't feel right.  So I'm going to upgrade the stock to a standard pistol grip setup.  i just don't know which one to get.  I realize I'm going to have to play the 10 parts or less game, so that also enters into this choice.
If I install an American made stock (3 pcs.) and an American made gas piston, I should come out OK in the 10 parts game.  If I install a Bulgarian stock set, I'll upgrade the FCS and the gas piston.  I'm probably pretty close in terms of money spent on the transformation, even though there is quite a bit of latitude in parts price.  I would like it to look decent when I'm finished, so I think I'll pass on the surplus beater stocks that are available.  The Ironwood laminated stock looks intriguing.  I think it would look good with a little sanding and some BLO or better.  

There was a guy on ebay a month or two ago who was selling Polish wooden furniture for a milled receiver, in good shape at a decent price. So maybe just keep your eyes open.

The Ironwood stocks aren't as long as the "NATO" stocks, from what I can tell.  Is that going to be a problem?  I'm 5'11" and used to the size of an AR.  Ironwood sells some special hardware for use with a single tang receiver.  Should I go with that or add the tang and go for two tang wood?  There is a hole in the receiver behind the trigger guard rivet, which I assume is for the lower tang.  Will I have to drill out the existing trigger guard rivet, since it appears that the tang has two holes in it?  Should I attempt bucking the rivets myself or farm it out?

I don't know much about that personally, though I think I would prefer to have a double tang.

There is a well thought of AK shop a reasonable drive from here, so I can get help if I get in over my headLast but not least, am I on the right track here or have I missed something major?

You seem to be on the right track.

Thanks

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top