Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/14/2003 7:48:10 PM EDT
Just got my SAW pistol grip for my SAR-1 and I love it! Dresses the gun up, and is ergonomically very much better for me! Got it from TAPCO, and it is well made, and easy to install. Too bad they're SAW buttstock and handguards for the FAL look so crappy! But the grip is a winner...similar in profile to the oversized Yugo pistol grip.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 3:57:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got big hands and the SAW grip is what I've been looking for for a long time. The stock grips are like holding a broom stick. I'm very happy with mine, I just wish they figured a more secure way to mount them. I wonder how long that piece will stay wedged inside. I thread-locked mine and it's staying put for now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Concur.

The Tapco M-249 grip radically alters the ergonomics of the Kalasnikov for the better.

Kind of like comparing the feel of a 1911 to a Tokarev.

I, by the way, have very small hands. (Save the anatomical referrences, guys. I've heard them all.)

SD
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone post a link or a some pictures?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 9:05:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:50:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Both of them are just plain FUGLY! YMMV
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Both of them are just plain FUGLY! YMMV

The saw looks a lot more comfortable than the sickly peasant grip though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one too.  Love it.  

It is buch wider/larger around that the little skinny AK grip.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:50:09 AM EDT
[#9]
I forgot to mention that the SAW grip has a trapdoor...which is perfect for a small bottle of Break-Free...so now you got the cleaning rod, cleaning kit in the buttstock and the juice!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]

I just wish they figured a more secure way to mount them. I wonder how long that piece will stay wedged inside. I thread-locked mine and it's staying put for now.

What don't you like about it? For those of us who haven't seen one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:15:20 AM EDT
[#11]
I was very skeptical at first, but I will admit that I really like my AK SAW grip. It gives my AK a "better" feel to it when shouldered. I was concerned with it coming loose after looking at the mechanics of the thing, but it has stayed tight for the last 5 months while rolling around in the back of my SUV. It's seen a fair share of abuse.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got my laminated SAR1 a few weeks ago and I love it. It actually has a pretty good trigger in it and the mag release isn't stiff like the one on my SAR2 which is primarily why I sold that one. Anyway, I've considered the SAW grip from Tapco. I think it would be an improvement over the skinny grip by far. Someone use to make a replacement stock that looked like a paratrooper FAL folding stock for the AK. It didn't fold but had a longer length of pull and looked awesome. Does anyone remember these and are they still available? Thanks...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 11:39:34 PM EDT
[#13]
The stock is from ace, they also carry a nice choice of pistol grips for the AK as well.
My personal favorites are the FAL style and the AR style from ultimak.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:03:05 AM EDT
[#14]
I have some AKs with the Ergo grip, like a G3/CETME grip without the thumbshelf.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:40:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just wish they figured a more secure way to mount them. I wonder how long that piece will stay wedged inside. I thread-locked mine and it's staying put for now.

What don't you like about it? For those of us who haven't seen one.

The grip is actually a FAL SAW grip modified by Tapco to fit the AK series. It includes a shorter screw and a block of aluminum with a hole through it. To install the grip, the aluminum block is used as a wedge to keep the screw in place in the grip. My concern was the grip might become loose after recoil because the wedge could loosen inside. I thread-locked the screw and it's still rock solid after 300 rounds.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top