Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/16/2003 8:45:16 AM EDT
I installed a new SAR-3 hammer, trigger group, and retainer plate Thursday night. No adjustments were made to any of the settings. For the most the install went pretty smooth. I could have used some better pictures of the Shepherd's Crook to help facilitate removal. I did not know I would have to remove my scope mount to swap out the parts. A few dry fires after everything was installed immediately informed this was a much needed upgrade. I took the rifle to range on Saturday to try it. Just in case anything went wrong, I only loaded 5 rounds in the mag. The first 3 rounds were fine. On the fourth, it doubled. OK, let's try that again and see if it is repeatable. This time, I loaded 10 rounds. It went BANG for every pull on the first three. On the fourth, it went BANG-BANG-BANG. The next squeeze of the trigger fired the remaining four rounds. At that point, the SAR3 was quickly put up and I did not want to draw anymore attention. I would say it was going full auto, but it was a rather slow rate of fire. I don't think it was slam firing because it stopped when pressure was removed from the trigger. I believe I have seen one or two postings similiar to mine.
Link Posted: 6/16/2003 7:46:18 PM EDT
sounds like you need to make some adjustments

really, re-read the instructions and perform a safety and function check with the sear and disconnector engagement surfaces properly lubed. i say this because i put some JP lead based trigger lube on my rsa sar3 fcg and it slicked it up so much i had to change my single stage setup to a second stage configutration. it just felt safer to me that way for this particular rifle. it sounds like your disconnector engagement/ sear timing is off or marginal. also, make sure to use thread locking compound (blue loctite) on any loose setcrews.

good luck......
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:58:29 PM EDT
I can't wait to try mine out.

maybe saturday.....

Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:45:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 10:39:20 AM EDT
I so want to go shoot my new RSA equipped SAR3.

Darn that havin to go to work!! Damn!

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 8:54:03 PM EDT
I'm thinking about buying one of those. How much are they and how hard would you say they are to install correctly 1 being easy and 10 being hard as hell. Are you guys talking about the one that runs about $85? I might have to wait till after college. haha
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:15:40 PM EDT
I wouls ay overall it would rate a 3 until you get used to the shepherds hook. After that, it gets pretty simple.

I would recommend the retainer plate. Even though I am used to the shepherds hook, the retainer plate still makes it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much easier.

I had an RSA trigger that did the same thing (three shots in my case) when I had it adjusted to light. I got the directions out and adjusted it. The rifle shoots like a dream.
A properly installed and set RSA trigger can not be beat.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:59:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Birkoff:
On the fourth, it went BANG-BANG-BANG. The next squeeze of the trigger fired the remaining four rounds.

When that happened to me with an RSA FCG, the disconnector was broken into two pieces.
Top Top