Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2002 9:48:17 AM EDT
Have the funds and desire to complete the SAR trifecta and I'm getting ready to take the plunge and buy the SAR 3 from AIM.

Any SAR 3 owners willing to provide some feedback on their rifles?

I will be buying the East German mags from CDNN unless there is a better way to go.

www.cdnninvestments.com/aksaron223ea.html

TIA

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#1]
It's just amazing how some folks get ruined for life so quick. How long has it been Maynard, 3 months...???
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 10:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL, I have been exposed.

June 29th started my downward spiral and I can blame you and your friggin' brother for being kind, courteous and allowing me to squeeze in on the line so I could take pleasant whiffs of Wolf ammo being fired and watch the brass piling up. My Colts and my Bolts are not seeing much range time lately and my purchasing of cheap commie ammo has gone through the roof.

I wear my RSA hat everywhere now and at my club I have caught some grief from some old time bolt gunners due to my AK obsession and caught major hell for bumpin'.

"Fuckin' commie Osama Bin Laden guns."

I am a convert.

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Maynard,
Remember...ATFTRAF!...MUHAHAHAhahahha.... the darkside has claimed yet another soul.....

I gave some thought to a .223 AK...but it was short lived! The beautiful NEW Bulgie kits have my eye now!

....resistance is futile!

ATFTRAF-- No clue that that means.

Why not the .223 AK? Feeding problems scare you off or just not really interested?

What's the appeal of the Bulgie kits?

Got a link for 'em?

Link Posted: 11/3/2002 1:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2002 6:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't own one, but 5.56 shopping as well to round out my AK calibers. SAR3 has a Bulgarian bbl (better) set different in the 74 receiver so the Century hts has imperfect geometry and does not hit the back of the bolt/pin cleanly. $30 for the RSA hammer is hardly an option, so get the whole $80 hts anyway. Weigers seem perfect right away, Bulgy poly often needs a wee bit of filing to work right. Aim has Weigers too, so piggy back on shipping.
But short of the LEGP, I smell a VEPR K in my future.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#7]
In all seriousness, I have contemplated the idea of the 5.56mm round in the AK, but I have been very hesitant. The goal I have set for myself in this caliber and design is....

But, I will be glad to try yours out next year.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Hbarski, you wont be sorry
My Galil 386 is on the "never sell" list.
Accurate with AK reliability.

Let me know if you need any Galil advice or sources.

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 7:28:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Sources, did you say sources? I got the money honey if you got the sources........A tune goes with that you know....

cause I can't spell.........
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 9:01:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Care to define 'accurate' for a Galil?
I know where to get decent used 50rnd mags 4/$80.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
In all seriousness, I have contemplated the idea of the 5.56mm round in the AK, but I have been very hesitant. The goal I have set for myself in this caliber and design is....

www.ar15.com/members/albums/hbarski%2Fgalil%5Far%2Ejpg

But, I will be glad to try yours out next year.

You're on!

Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I own two of them.  One set up in black polymer furniture and the other with a pinned triangle side folder.  No problems out of either one.

Krinkfreak
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 5:43:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I own two of them.  One set up in black polymer furniture and the other with a pinned triangle side folder.  No problems out of either one.

Krinkfreak

Excellent. Any other mods to either rifle? Are you using the waffle mags or the Weigners?

BTW, AIM appears to be out of the Weigners, That's the reason for buying from CDNN.

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 3:55:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I took two of the "AK 74" type muzzle comps (14mm threads) and they were a perfect slipover fit on the muzzle.  The only thing I had to do was "deepen" the threaded end so the comp would slip on and rest against the front sight.  I then had it welded on the bottom and then touched it up.  They look and shoot great.

I have two bulgarian waffles to go with the black polymer furniture, and two orange bakelite to go with the fixed triangle side folder.  Looks great with the original wood foregrip.

Here's a photo of my AK collection.  When I get back from the business trip I'm currently on, I'll post some closeup photos of each one.

Happy Shooting!!

Krinkfreak
www.angelfire.com/ak5/rpkman/

Link Posted: 11/5/2002 9:50:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Care to define 'accurate' for a Galil?
I know where to get decent used 50rnd mags 4/$80.

From a bench, with a sandbag, mine will shoot 1.5 - 2" at 100 yards using Black Hills 52gr JHP Match.  It consistantly around 2-3" with M193.  It's definitely better than average "AK" accuracy.  I think with a better trigger and some optics a little more could be shaved off.

I avoid the 50rd Mags.  I have one, but it's pretty much just part of the Galil-Stuff collection.  Its too long for any useful purposes, too heavy when loaded and occassionally unreliable when fully loaded.  The IDF originally intended these for SAW use but ditched that idea early on.  You never saw many of them in field use.  

Im planning on an AK74 type of some sort in the next year.  What kind of accuracy are you guys getting with the 5.45s?
Link Posted: 11/5/2002 10:52:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the Galil info. Looks like another case of 5.56 shooting better with nice grade western ammo. Unlike western 7.62 shooting worse in commie guns with .310 bores..

My SAR2 ($238 2 summers ago) with RSA trigger set, 30rnd bakelite monopod and 4x scope can get steady 2 1/2-3" groups of 5 at 100 yds with Barnual. Very similar with Wolf, but more fliers.
The 11/02 issue of Guns Magazine has a 5.45 VEPR K article, did not shoot Barnual, but got a best of 2 1/8" with Wolf. I guess the heavy duty VEPR quality and RSA trigger set in the cheap SAR2 seem to cancel each other out.
As a general rule, 5.45 guns seem to avg 1" smaller groups than 7.62 guns.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top