Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 3:55:17 PM EDT
How close is the SAR-2 mechanically to the Romanian AIMS-74?  How complete are they when they come in the country and what work does Century do to them?
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#1]
They are identical with the exception of the third receiver hole, muzzle brake,  and automatic fire control group.

Century removed the gas piston, trigger, hammer, disconnector, and pistol grip and replaces them with US made components.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
From what I've read about the AIMS-74 they're pretty close.  Swap on the correct front sight base and AK74 comp along with the Romy sidefolder stock and front p-grip handguard setup  (and metal mag if you can score one) and you'd have a dead ringer...  

SAR-2s came in country fully assembled, Century then swaps out the gas piston, fire control group, and pistol grip with US made parts, the FCG at least of dubious quality.  I've had zero complaints about my SAR2, other than not having the proper threaded FSB and compensator, which I'm too cheap to pay nearly $100 for the pair to get...

They aren't bringing in SAR2s or any SARs for that matter anymore though.  Century has however just announced a new run of WASRs coming in, including a WASR2 in 5.45x39.  It will not have the mag dimples in the receiver, and will come in country as a low cap only gun like the other WASRs, where century will add the same set of US parts as before and mill out the mag well opening (IIRC if it's like the current run of WASR10s, the trunion will already be the proper wide standard one and won't need opening up, just the mag well opening itself would need widening but since no-one has one yet whos to say for sure)...

{Edit}  DOH, took to long typing it up I guess...

Link Posted: 8/22/2004 5:18:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder why they aren't imported with the upswept bolt handle?
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 8:56:07 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I wonder why they aren't imported with the upswept bolt handle?

Ironically, one of the earlier models was.  It was the Mk II I believe.  Since I am building an AIMS-74 clone, that is one of the things I'll have to change.
Link Posted: 8/22/2004 11:59:37 AM EDT
[#6]
My 1999 SAR 2 did come with an upswept bolt handle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 7:44:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I have to ask why is the bolt handle upswept? What`s the advantage?
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 8:56:39 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have to ask why is the bolt handle upswept? What`s the advantage?

That was done do to give, the bolt handle,  additional clearance when the stock is folded.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top