Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2002 11:44:06 AM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed in the past, but I can't find those particular posts.  Also, please forgive my ignorance.  I'm an AR guy turning to the dark side and still learning.

I'm getting a SAR-2.  I plan on making the following modifications:

- Replace the buttstock with US made black polymer buttstock
- Replace the lower handguard with US made black polymer lower handguard
- Replace the pistol grip with US made Ergo grip
- Replace the front site block assembly with Romanian threaded front site block assembly
- Add Romanian AK-74 type compensator
- Replace the gas tube with US made UltiMAK optics mount
- Replace bolt carrier with curved handle Romanian bolt carrier
- Replace trigger group with US made RSA adjustable trigger group
- Replace bent wire Shepherd's Crook with US made RSA hammer/trigger pin retainer plate
- Add US made RSA tactical extended magazine release
- Replace rear sight with US made RSA rear peep sight
- Add Buffer Tech recoil buffer
- Add EOTech holosight
- Possibly refinish receiver

Yeah, I know it's going to be expensive, but I want a super reliable and effective SHTF rifle.

I know some of the parts I've listed aren't on the US/foreign parts count list, but I wanted to give an idea of what the rifle will be like when finished. Will this configuration comply with the US/foreign part count law?  If not, any suggestions on how to make it legal?

Thanks,
USPC40

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter

Link Posted: 10/7/2002 7:15:21 PM EDT
[#1]
A stamped receiver AK has 15 countable parts.  You can't have more than 10 foreign parts so the other 5 are US made.  The US parts on the SAR's are the pistol grip, gas piston, and fire control group (3 parts).  If you want to add another foreign part (i.e. Romanian muzzle brake) you must exchange one of the other foreign parts for a US part to maintain your count of 10 maximum.  You then will have 16 parts (10 foreign and 6 US).  Based on your list you aren't even close to being in trouble.  All I'm going to do to add the Romanian brake to my SAR-2 is add a US buttstock.  My 6 US parts will then be buttstock, pistol grip, fire control group (3 parts), and gas piston.  That leaves me with 10 foreign parts.  I hope this wasn't too confusing.

Bradd  
Link Posted: 10/7/2002 9:34:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  Just what I needed to know.

USPC40

NRA Life Member
GOA Life Member
SAF Supporter
SAS Supporter

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top