Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 7/14/2003 8:30:13 PM EDT
I installed one of those Blackjack recoil buffers from Aim today. (The green one.) After firing 5 shots my shoulder was already sore. I can't see how I could have installed it incorrectly but the recoil was incredible!

I removed the buffer and the recoil went back to mild.

The gun functioned ok with it but I think I will just toss the buffer and forget about recoil buffers on the SAR-1.

FWIW
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 5:01:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:07:34 PM EDT
i use a side wall of a old tire to make buffers from, works good lasts forever and is free.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 12:53:48 PM EDT
I just brought one of those Green Blackjack buffers too with my new SAR-1 at the same time, isn't it suppose to make it better and not worse? How could it increase recoil?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:23:40 PM EDT
campy,

bicyle innertube is a good idea. that would have the least impact on the intended cycling pattern of the rifle and it would still provide some buffering to the impact of the carrier.

nice
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:50:53 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 4:19:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
believe it or not, i've actually used the soles of an old tennis shoe to make buffers from! heheh!

as far as i'm concerned, the thinner the buffer, the better.

as far as durometer goes (material hardness), i've found that soft is good. most tire/tube rubber is somewhat resistant to mild solvents and oils.

imo, buffers are throwawy items. why pay $10-15 for something you can make for free?

the buffertech one I have is SO thick I wonder what it does to my rifles cycling and lock times. I bet that sucker is a 1/2" thick if not more. Anywys that thing shredded in around 1000 rounds or so. It completely tore apart and plagued me with problems at bulletfest. my dumb ass finally figured out why I was getting light primer hits and jams every OTHER round. the buffer chunks were blocking the hammer and keeping it from locking back after each shot.

I figured the black jack ones would be good since they are so thin.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 7:43:12 PM EDT
I have an extra mouse pad, my job's idea of a reward for staying 1 year. Would that work as a buffer? is a buffer really needed?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:31:54 PM EDT
My red Blackjack buffer works pretty good. It came with the rifle. I won't buy them anymore. The bicycle tube idea is great. They are so overpriced for the effect they make I can't rationalize buying them. Home made is fine.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 8:51:47 PM EDT
I have the green Blackjack buffer. It is thick and HARD. (I thought it would be kinda soft!)

I am guessing that the slide hits it sooner and with more force. Even at that I would have expected very little difference. hock.gif
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 7:17:21 AM EDT
Yeah I guess I got lucky with the red one. It's kinda soft. I'll post how long it takes to wear it out. So far on my new SAR1 I've only put 700 rnds down the barrel. The buffer doesn't seem to show any wear. We'll see in a few thousand.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 12:49:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 4:42:25 PM EDT
in that case I won't try the mouse pad
Top Top