Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/5/2003 12:41:02 PM EDT
Hey guys, first time I've posted here.  Just got an SAR-1 rifle.  Came with 40 round and 5 round mags.  The dealer told me that I should get US made baseplates and followers so that when I purchase additional pre-bans, I can keep the gun legal.  I understand the concept at work here and also know that a few companys have changed different parts to get under the max # of foriegn made parts.  Is this correct?  And can anyone point me in the right direction for US made followers and bases?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:47:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless your dealer did something silly, like remove the US parts that CIA installs when they imported the SAR-1 and put it in pistol grip config, you are perfectly fine using any normal capacity magazine with the rifle, regardless of how many rounds it holds or where it was manufactured.
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 12:55:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, the reason I ask is that I have 6 pre-bans that I didn't sell with my NHM-91.  They worked fine the last time I used them, so I see no need to retrofit them unless I've got to meet some legal requirement.  My dealer doesn't tinker with new guns.  If a customer wants something special done after purchase, he'll do it as long as it is legal and not totally stupid.

Another small question, if you will: the rifle has what looks like a quick detach rail for a scope on the left side of the receiver.  Any idea where to get the correct mounts and is this worth it?
Link Posted: 10/5/2003 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
The rail is a standard Russian siderail mount. Any of the standard AK siderail scopes or mounts will fit. I have a Kobra on my SAR 2 and a K-Var mount on my VEPR.

Check out www.k-var.com/ as a place to start looking for accesories.

Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:22:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 12:30:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top