Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2004 11:47:10 AM EST
I have a SAR-1 and SAR-2, and I am planning on permanently attaching a slant compensator on the SAR-1 and an AK74-type muzzle brake on the SAR-2. I will silver solder them per ATF requirements.

I plan to use the DynaSystems 14 x 1 LH threading kit to thread both barrels, then attach a 14 x 1 slant compensator directly to the SAR-1. I will use a 14 x 1 / 24 mm adapter on the SAR-2 barrel, then attach an AK-USA 24 mm AK74 muzzle brake to the adapter.

Questions:

1. Will I be able to remove the cleaning rods from under the barrels with these muzzle devices in place? It looks like the SAR-1 won't be a problem, but what about the SAR-2?

2. Do I need to get retainer springs and pins for both devices?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/27/2004 5:02:01 AM EST
IMHO threading is a way for rust to set into the muzzle area, and prefer threaded adaptors. Either new FSB with integral threads, or adaptor rings that slip over the bbl to the fsb, spin on brake, align, tack weld to fsb. Leaves bbl unmolested, and tapping pins from the fsb lets the whole thing be removed if needed later.
1) dunno as I leave mine at home, it's an AK
2) not unless you wait for awb sunset and want them removable
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 12:47:37 PM EST
You're getting way too complicated on the SAR-2. Get a Romanian AK-74 FSB. It has the threaded section for the AK-74 brake. If you install it before the ban sunsets, the only thing you will have to do is neuter the bayonet lug. The Romanian brake is 22mm vs. 24mm (23mm?) for the Russian and Bulgarian brakes. There are no flash suppressors made to fit the Romanian diameter and the ATF has already said the brake doesn't have to be permanently attached. Doing it the right way means you don't have to thread anything. Knock out a couple of pins, knock off the old FSB, install the new one and when you're done, not only will your cleaning rod work fine, you'll be using the real thing, not a copy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:00:03 PM EST
Thanks for the excellent advice - unfortunately, Romanian 22 mm FSBs are nowhere to be found, not at K-VAR or anywhere else.

I've elected to send the SAR-2 to Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms (IGF) to have a 22 mm adapter mounted permanently so I can attach a Romanian 22 mm AK-74 brake (K-VAR has this in stock.)
Top Top