Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/27/2003 7:03:06 PM EDT
Good Evening Everyone!

My SAR-1 whould be shipped as soon as my ffl owner sends his paperwork.  I have 2 questions for you all.

#1 I'm looking for those ak mags that are wood coated.  Where could I find some?  Expected price.

#2 has anyone installed a better trigger assy in their sar-1?  Is it worth the upgrade.

Thanks for all your input..p.s. I really, really want one of those wood coated mags.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 7:29:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The "wood" coated Ak mags are a type of platic called bakelite. They are rare in 7.62 x 39, and there for expensive. Price if you find one should run about $75 each

In 5.45 X 39 they are quite common and cheap.

As for the trigger group, I, and most others here highly recomend the Red Star Arms trigger group.  It is about $80, but worth every penny.
I would recomend the retainer plate as well, trust me, if you don't you will kill the first person who says the words "sheherds hook".
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#2]
In 7.62x39, you are getting black mags, poly or steel. Although I guess you can get Polish poly slab side mags and whip up a swirl paint job similar to bakelights (start at aimsurplus.com for those mags).

SAR trigger groups are cheap US parts, and vary from actually very nice to schlock. Gordon fixes the sins of bad sets better than most dremels for $40. Red Star is better than any AK set period, and adjusts to suit for $80.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:16:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you for the responses.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Regarding Bake-lite 7.62 mags...you can make a forgery version of one...here's what I did....

I mixed some "Bondo" up and applied it evenly to one side of the steel AK magazine...let it dry and then sand it a little bit....apply Bondo to the other side of the mag and then do the same....after some sanding and adding a bit of bondo here and there....you will have a nice reddish looking magazine.  You have to work fast using that stuff because it will dry quick!

Later on you can apply a sealant or paint it with a color of your choice.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Stari,

Do you have any pictures of the final magazine?
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 8:52:42 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Regarding Bake-lite 7.62 mags...you can make a forgery version of one...here's what I did....

I mixed some "Bondo" up and applied it evenly to one side of the steel AK magazine...let it dry and then sand it a little bit....apply Bondo to the other side of the mag and then do the same....after some sanding and adding a bit of bondo here and there....you will have a nice reddish looking magazine.  You have to work fast using that stuff because it will dry quick!

Later on you can apply a sealant or paint it with a color of your choice.  

Dude, you  have too much free time on your hands.
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 10:34:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll take a picture of it as soon as I finish unpacking...Just moved to a new place and everything is boxed up for the moment.  I'll post a few pictures of them later when I get myself settled in my new digs.  Yes I do have a lot of time...I wish I had more time for my other projects.  Life is now good with no bitchin' wife nagging me anymore!  

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top