Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/1/2004 8:50:27 AM EDT
I have a die on order to thread my SAR1. My barrel OD measures .548" ~ 13.92mm.  Do i have enough barrel to thread 14 x 1 LH? Also does anyone in the HOUSTON area have a thread guide I could Borrow/rent?
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#1]
presto99,

I just threaded my SAR 1 this week. It also had a muzzle diameter of .548 so you will be fine. Just be sure to use an alignment tool to start the die straight for the first 3 to 4 threads. I made the one I used on a lathe. I think you can buy them from Dynasystems and Brownells. they are around $12 if I recall. Significantly cheaper than the die which is around $60. If you have any friends with AK's they can help defer the cost by doing theirs for a small fee.

Wpns Man
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
wpns man,
Can you get me some info on the alignment tool
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 9:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
.548 is OK.  Many measure .550 which is OK too.

Anyone with a lathe can make an alignment tool / die starter.

Turn a length to about .540"  Turn 1.5" or so to a diameter that will JUST slide in bore.  Die cut threads on the remaining .540 part.   (Make SURE the die is square to the tool you just made by doing the threading in the lathe.  This can be done by resting the die against the tailstock ram or other equivalent method.)  Saw a screwdriver slot in the .540 end so you can hold the starter from turning.  Enjoy.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top