Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2003 8:36:47 PM EDT
I purchased a new laminated SAR1 on monday. Surprisingly great metal finish, straight sights and gasblock,and both handguards are outstanding. The buttstock looks like it was laminated from recycled bicycle tires. There are strips of gold and red woods, then a strip of butt ugly black crap. It makes the lamination look like it's been drug behind my truck for a few miles. Today I stripped everything down, sanded all the wood until is was a slick as snot. I then stained it in MinWax stain (Pecan-because I like it!). I now have several coats of True Oil on it. It's setting up great, but those horrendoud strips of charred looking wood is someone's idea of a bad joke. Does anyone else have this bizarre shade of wood in their laminated buttstock?

By the way, the rifle shoots like a dream. I didn't even have to make any sight adjustments to obtain zero. Now that's a first! (as in..that'll never happen again).

It appears that I lucked out on a great shooting rifle, with near perfect metal finish, with a turd in the buttstock.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 11:17:22 PM EDT
Pics....Dammit,Pics!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 12:32:07 AM EDT
Did you buy local or order it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:30:40 AM EDT
I bought local. I didn't order one, because I didn't want to gamble on crooked sights and gas blocks. This is my third Romanian AK, and I will gladly pay a little more if I can shop around and buy locally.

I will post some pics when the wood dries, and I get finished refinishing this ugly piece of lumber.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:09:05 AM EDT
Mine looked OK.....not great just OK.

Here are the before and after pics.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=57080&w=searchPop
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 10:18:38 AM EDT
Nice job, Dredd.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 1:53:36 PM EDT
Doorgunner, I have that black crap in my lower handguard.
Dredd, very nice!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:51:54 PM EDT
Thanks Oldironsights. You know that misery loves company. LOL
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 11:03:07 AM EDT
I ordered mine and it had the shitiest stock I have ever seen on an AK. I mean it looked like it was assembled by 12 year olds and the varnish was applied using a stick with leaves on it! (probably was!!) I hate it and was going to refinish it but haven't yet. I reciently ordered a metal folder for it but it doesn't look much better! LOL By the way how does one lock up the folder so it won't fold so I don't scare the populace?
Top Top