Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2003 9:38:45 AM EDT
Which is better?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?  I plan to use at most, a 2x, optic.  I will most likely use a Trijicon Tri-Power (if they ever come out), Aimpoint 2x or Comp M2, Trijicon Reflex, or Kobra Red Dot.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#1]
unfartunately, you couldnt use an Ultimak with a magnified scope.
you could only use a red dot type scope on the Ultimak.
To use any scope with magnification, the eye relief is 1-2". so you will need an AK side rail.
The only problem ive heard with the Ultimaks is the heat from the barrel/gas system, making the sight hot as hell.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 10:38:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The M7S is the most versatile of the two choices.  If you don't like the Ultimak mount then you have the option of using the existing rail mount.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:00:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Nicer optics do exist, but for the ballpark $130 for Kobra or PSO quality you will want the siderail option.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd also go with the M7S

Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought a SAM-7 and am going through the hassle of making it a 7S.  Get the SAM-7S to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/21/2003 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I must respectfully disagree with EX11B. The gas tube doesn't transfer all that much heat through an Ultimak to the sight/scope. At least it certainly doesn't on my Poly Legend. Odd, but true.

Any of the non-magnified red-dots will work with the Ultimak. The Aimpoint and clones work well as you can still see the iron sights through the tube, deleting the need for a quick-detach system.

Give any thought to a Scout Scope from Leupold? Long eye relief, 2.75X, reasonably priced, and tough as hell.

Good luck.

SD
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top