VEPR K
-RPK receiver
-finish of receiver
-heard they are the best quality
-do not like the front handguard
-465$ total
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 8:28:20 AM EDT
KTR-03 ?

Given your 2 choices I'd go with the SAM-7 but that's just a matter of personal taste.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 9:05:18 AM EDT
I bought the SAM7 and haven't looked back. They are fantastic. I've never been a big AK fan as far as quality goes until now. Arsenal Rules!
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 4:19:38 PM EDT
I now have 2 Sam 7's (thanks largely to having a wonderful wife). I have owned an SAR1, a polytech preban, and Norinco prebans. I still own 2 Maddi's. I have shot the VEPR, but dont own one.

The SAR1: I spent $150 making it look cool and fixing the trigger, etc. When I was done, It woulod shoot 4-6 inches at 100 yards. I found this unacceptable. Its gone now.

Norinco: 3-4 inches at 100 yards. When some one offers me $900 for a rifle I paid $300 for they go. They are now gone as well.

Polytech: About the same as the Norinco accuracy-wise, but much better finish. Sold for $1500 and never looked back.

VEPR: more accurate than those above, fair trigger and better finish, but not as nice as the SAM 7.
You see, I have just never thought the preban vs. postban 'stuff' was that big a deal. I cant see ever spending a hugh amount of cash on an AK - why? I dont know.

Sam7: Best finish I have seen on a factory AK, period. I think the Milled receiver is cool. Everyone has at least one stamped receiver AK (even if they hide in the closet like drjarhead). Its kind of cool to have something that not everyone else has. They are accurate. Both of mine shoot right at or under 2 MOA. This is on par with a FAL, H&K 91, etc. In fact ,if I was using something other than the iron sights, my quess is they would probably shoot better - the short sight radius inherent to the AK design is a little tough on my aging eyes. I am impressed by the accuracy especially since I am use Barnaul Hp that costs about $85/1000. The trigger is excellent - better than any stock AK trigger I have EVER felt. Its better than most AR's! THe action is very smooth. Actually feels knid of weird to have an AK bolt carrier work as smooth as mine do. Overall, the SAM 7 is a great rifle and the best part is your dont have to change, add, fix anything to get it that way -- Just clean it and go shoot it.
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:15:13 PM EDT
Vepr K. I love the ergonomics of the furniture, and the weight-savings of the RPK stamped receiver. I think it's the perfect balance of price/performance. Just my opinion.

take care,
Tec
Link Posted: 5/30/2003 5:41:24 PM EDT
SAM7 since you only want a 16" barrel. The VEPR doesn't come with a real RPK barrel anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:25:15 AM EDT
Well they are on back order for 4-6weeks and the SAM7 has one available. I really am leaning towards the Vepr because of the price and that they are supposed to be just top notch for finish and accuracy. The front hand guard is the only down side since I really wanted a a AK for the AK look but hell if it really bothers me I can buy a 2 piece conversion for it if i can't stand the newer style ergo handguard. If the SAM7 was closer to the Vepr price I would just go for it now but Vepr quality for 450.

Why should I go with the SAM7? Are the finishes on them super clean like a Vepr? What am I getting with the SAM7 really? Are they tip top AK's in all catigories like accuracy,finish,trigger?

I like that the SAM7 looks the way I want it with the two piece and muzzle break but then again I like the Vepr look with its stock. So hard to decide. Well I got a month to anyway.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:31:28 AM EDT
If this article doesn't convince you nothing will..

www.smallarmsreview.com/pdf/sam7.pdf

Arsenal Inc has brought quality to the AK. That's all I can say.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:34:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 4:36:40 AM EDT
SAM-7 is the coolest of the two. I've got both.

I like the Vepr though. It is VERY accurate for a 7.62x39mm AK. But the furniture on it pretty much SUCKS.

Bulgarian milled is the way to go, if you can only have one. If you are like me though, you will just buy both. Forget 5.45mm in an AK that is this heavy. Get it in either 7.62x39mm or .308 (if you get the Vepr). If you want 5.45mm get a SAR-2.

And oh yeah, you've got have a couple SARs laying around. SARs.......its like a disease.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:51:46 AM EDT
Thanks MaineAR, that was the deciding factor. Well if the one that was available yesterday is still there then my FFL grabbed it for me.

Is the SAM-7 from FAC that same SAM-7 from ArsenalInc? Is the SAM-7 just a name of a style of AK that different companies make or are all SAM-7's from ArsenalInc?

I do this everytime I buy something. 6months ago I wanted a rifle for the range so I thought about them Izhmash for 350$, they were on backorder so I started looking into used ar15's for around 500$, none available so I started looking into new Ar-15's, then decided I wanted a flattop, then ended up paying 780$ for a flattop new Bushy on gunbroker. Thats more than twice I wanted to spend on a plinker rifle for the range. Then I dropped a ton of accessories onto it , and the AR sits at 1800$. Aimpoint,and bunch of other goodies. Now back to wanting a AK for cheap just to have another rifle, so I figure I would get a cheap 350$ model, then I saw them G3's for around 450$ so my budget got increased to 450$ then I decided no G3 lets stick to good quality AK. Saw the Vepr for 450$ and then settled on the SAM7 for 597$ total. Sheesh. I always do that. And I really don't make that much, just don't have alot of bills. Need to learn to stop doing that, just stop looking into the higher models and what you get for the price, if yoiu don't know then you won't want it.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 12:41:51 PM EDT
FAC is selling Arsenal SA-M7's. If it says SA-M7 then its an SA-M7 and not something else.

Try to get an SA-M7s with the Scope Rail on the side. Its worth a few extra bucks. I think FAC has some.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 2:54:46 PM EDT
SAM7 is the way to go!
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 3:05:47 PM EDT
Youll never regret the SA-M7. I love mine.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 10:36:00 AM EDT
SAM7 ordered and on its way. Thanks for your opinions. Curious to see how good a AK can look.
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 6:35:05 PM EDT
How good? Damn good!

Arsenal Inc. Classic:

With 1950's vintage Soviet laminated stock set, I now, the picture quality is piss-poor.

Link Posted: 6/2/2003 8:30:05 PM EDT
DROOOOOL...

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:03:08 AM EDT
First, my advice is to buy the SA M-7. I picked one up a few weeks ago and all I can say is that the quality is second to none. The accuracy is FAR better than any other AK I've owned (Pre-ban PolyTech and a SAR-1). You will NOT be disappointed in the SA M-7.

Second, Templar, where did you get your Russian stock set?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:59:33 PM EDT
Actually, I got the Soviet laminated stock set from Gucciano.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 3:19:17 PM EDT
Lookin nice, I really hate this part... the waiting part, its like the jeopardy theme going on over and over in my head. :)

Well I got sucked into buying a bunch of mags already. I ordered 4 waffle Bulgarian 30rd,4 Steel Polish 30rd,2 Polish Synthetic SF 30rd,1 Romanian 40rd. All I want is two 40rd waffles and I am done. Any good websites to buy the waffle 40rd? Is there anything I should do to these mags once they arrive? I know my AR15 has green followers that help , is there items like that which would help for these AK mags?
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 4:33:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/3/2003 4:37:48 PM EDT by -Duke-Nukem-]
Eno, you aren't done yet, you haven't bought a 75 round drum. Chinese are the best.

EDIT: to make an AK mag run right, you load it and then shoot the whole thing in a continuous burst as fast as you can.

Actually, I lied, that's just the funnest way. Its an AK, they run great no matter what. They aren't finicky with mags like ARs are. Guess I'll post a pic of my 7.62 AK now, just for fun.

Its a refinished SAR 1.

Link Posted: 6/3/2003 5:47:55 PM EDT
man I have a boner over the SAM7 and SAM7-S

anyone know how long your going to be able to get these? I saw one at a gunshow and the quality was great and it felt unbeliveable in my hands.

Only thing I didn't like was that fish gill brake thing, it would have to come off and be replaced with a '74 brake
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:04:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SLoV:
man I have a boner over the SAM7 and SAM7-S

anyone know how long your going to be able to get these? I saw one at a gunshow and the quality was great and it felt unbeliveable in my hands.

Only thing I didn't like was that fish gill brake thing, it would have to come off and be replaced with a '74 brake

As far as I know they'll be here for a long time. there made in the USA. Well at least the receiver is. My bet is if they have problems getting parts from Bulgaria they'll start building more of it here. There making plenty of money off of them. And where there's a demand there will be supply. I agree about the brake but I'm starting to the brake.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:13:31 PM EDT
Was that your "starting to like the brake"?
How does it work?

Whats the dealer price on one of the SAM7's? I might not even bother with a scope rail on it just leave it all natural like.

Did you guys see the .223's on milled recievers? Wow!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:36:35 PM EDT
535$ on FAC. 552$ shipped. Not sure how cheap they get though. I think I got a good price on mine. My local good gun shop has them for 609$ before tax.

I haven't seen the brake with my own eyes but I like it though.

I am also in the same boat kinda, add mod parts to it or leave it stock. I would never put a scope of it but I would think of a new stock and grip combo, kinda like a skeleton stock. But I have a ace ltd on my AR15, i would have to find something that looked different, and as far as a grip, I really hate the little AK style grip. But it is the "AK look" and will most likely keep it stock and never change it. Or maybe I will buy another one in the next year like a SAR3 for around 300$ and keep it stock and mod my SAM7. Not sure the skys the limit. I need to stop buying guns and gun parts cause I have no money for ammo or range time.

Back to the jeopardy theme.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 6:56:55 PM EDT
GEEZE for 525 bucks
IM GONNA HAVE TO GET A DEALER COST NOW ASAP!!!!!!

I can't believe that much quality for such little price. I almost question myself for paying for a conversion.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Top Top