Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/6/2003 9:50:32 AM EDT
I finally got back enough pieces to make one weapon functional out of the three sent to SAI. My preban CLAYCO 56S is using parts out of an SLR96, (gas tube, action cover, recoil spring guide and safety lever)and the thread protector of a Maadi to be ready again. Cleaning rod and muzzle brake are probably still in the chicken koop.

Anyway I am taking it along with my SAR1 and a couple AR15's to the Lapeer pit tomorrow for some good old bumpfiring.

Only thing SAI did to it was beadblast and then thourough rust application.

Barrel looks OK inside, gun is stiff to dry-cycle due to rust inside the action. Right now the majority of it is bare steel with many areas of rust.

I was going to wait to shoot it til after I got it back from refinishing but some friends came up with the date before I got around to it.

I figure this way, it's an AK47, I ought to be able to have it buried in a chicken koop for 19 months and then take it out and shoot it regardless, Right?

I plan to send it off for refinishing pretty soon to restore it to normal. All I want is a good park job and some baked on Gunkote. Who would you suggest?

My other two have too many parts missing to be called guns right now.

Should have some good videos up by Monday afternoon of the good time shooting.

Link Posted: 9/6/2003 11:10:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Inrange does the complete park-and-paint for $75.  I don't think you can get a better deal then that on a very authentic AK finish.  It will certainly be better then the thin blued finish the Clayco no doubt had to begin with.

BTW:  I like the configuration you have it in now, I don't think a muzzle brake would look very good on a folding-spike chicom like that.  

That stock set also looks great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:08:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 5:15:53 PM EDT
[#3]
InRange or Ohio Rapid Fire.

There's never a dull moment at ORF.  Always something neat to see in the showroom or machine shop.  Definitely worth the trip.

Glad you got the Clayco up and running.  A good preban is a terrible thing to waste.....

KF
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 5:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]
The Horror...... the horror [>(]

Did you send the Clayco in as a complete rifle? And now this is what you have?
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 10:12:24 AM EDT
[#5]
As an engineer I hate to see mechanical things destroyed. I would like to see a summary of cost of the items he lost and the total cost of the AKs that ass damaged while he "worked" on them.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 12:45:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Horror...... the horror [>(]

Did you send the Clayco in as a complete rifle? And now this is what you have?

Yep, sent it to the master AK gunsmith in harveyville Kansas for his super duper refinish. Paid $100 in advance. Got back half the parts, covered in rust, only after KAG had state troopers sieze all his customers property.

I just got back from the range with it. Had fun shooting up the pit with the MI-AR15 crew. The Clayco will not sustain a bump. It will do 8-9 rds and quit. My SAR1 runs much better. It is accurate though. I broke several clay targes sitting on the hill at 100 yards+. Also bunced a golf ball around at 25yards, till I lost it behind a log.

I should have some pics and movies up tomorrow about this time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2003 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Buy some gunkote- in a Can. I just did two FAL's and they look great!
Link Posted: 9/8/2003 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a SAI  surviver also. I turned it into a Laminated front pistol grip AMD 65 looking rifle. Painted it myself.She's a keeper now that I got that Harveyville funk off it.  :)WD
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top