Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:32:33 AM EDT
well as the title suggest,..... i am gonna be gearing up for a project to rebuild a F-ed over,.and disassembled Saiga.

i was cleaning up in the basement,.and found this pile of parts i had forgotten about,..i got to looking around and realized with the yugo underfolder i had sitting around collecting dust i could possably piece together another rifle.

i got the Saiga off a friend of mine here that did not have the motavation to finish the at home conversion he started on this,.......poor rifle,....but if it shoots as accurate as the Saiga i had sold long ago i will be pretty happy.

heres the rebuild project.

heres kinda an idea of where im am going with this. (i know lots of stuff missing),.and im gonna catch hell with wielding up the holes,...but im sure i can get it done,.....

this is going to be the beater gun when im finished,.....but some help from you guys would be appreciated

im gonna go with a US made gas piston from k-var,..and a G-2 FCG,..US pistol grip,..and either a US made slant brake or 74 style brake for my compliance stuff,....

... but what i dont know:

-where can i find a plain Saiga or AMD gas tube?
-will a regular AK-47 rear sight block,..gas chamber,..and front sight fit this barrel?
-Saiga owners,....what is the length of the pins that are under the gas chamber that the foregrip slides onto? need dia. and length please.
-any way to order from parts from Izhmash?

thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:25:18 AM EDT
[#1]
What about using a Bulgarian AK74 gas block, rear sight base and Front sight ? The Saiga is an AK74 variant. Is your bolt from the Saiga, if not you will have an issue with the 7.62 barrel from the Saiga and a normal AKM bolt, the bolt head is a different lenght.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:31:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Gas tubes for this are everywhere. Check Saiga12.com first. Then the EE here. Then eBay. Then GunBroker for spare saiga parts.

I see these daily.

And when I get my new one from K-Var for conversion. I will ditch my Saiga gas tube like everyone else.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:55:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What about using a Bulgarian AK74 gas block, rear sight base and Front sight ? The Saiga is an AK74 variant. Is your bolt from the Saiga, if not you will have an issue with the 7.62 barrel from the Saiga and a normal AKM bolt, the bolt head is a different lenght.

the bolt is the same,...it matches the front trunnion. so no worries there

either 47 or 74 it wont really make a diffrence,....i just dont want to have to use the gas chamber and front sight thats there now,....they got dremmeled up pretty bad.

i will try and get that part off intact for you.

Quoted:
Gas tubes for this are everywhere. Check Saiga12.com first. Then the EE here. Then eBay. Then GunBroker for spare saiga parts.

I see these daily.

And when I get my new one from K-Var for conversion. I will ditch my Saiga gas tube like everyone else.

hmmm,.. ill keep you in mind if i cant find one.

i am guessing you have a Saiga,..any idea on the pin length for the handguard?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:07:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:20:06 AM EDT
[#5]
On the Saiga, the serial number is on the barrel trunnion.. removing the trunnion might be considered removing the serial number.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
am guessing you have a Saiga,..any idea on the pin length for the handguard?

.115" dia and .865" total width on my 5.56 gun...

thanks!

Quoted:
On the Saiga, the serial number is on the barrel trunnion.. removing the trunnion might be considered removing the serial number.

i was looking at that,...i guess ill have to use the Saiga front trunnion. wich is kinda good because i'll have to use/instal a US made feed ramp wich will help with the parts count.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:29:41 PM EDT
[#7]
A feedramp wont do anything for your parts count. If your going ot go through the trouble of doing the conversion you should at least press the gb and fsb off and install a hg retainer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
nahhh this is just going to be the beater gun that i'll let friends shoot.

and if i wanted the regular AK look i would just get a new barrel assembly
this is more of a quick and dirty build that i dont want the cost getting out of hand like the other ones
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top