Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/29/2004 5:06:11 PM EDT
Has anyone built the underfolders that Sportsmans guide is selling? $169 bucks seems pretty cheap.

www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=148292
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 5:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll need to invest in a milled receiver or mill the receiver remains into a trunnion.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 6:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
the word on those kits is they are shity
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 7:11:02 PM EDT
[#3]
But, the ad says

"Here's your chance to own the real thing from Russia. Condition: used, in very good to excellent shape."

They wouldn't LIE to us would they?

Seriously... are they junk, shot-out, or what? I know a milled kit is a pain in the arse, is that the only reason?
Thanks for the input.

Link Posted: 9/29/2004 9:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I know a lot of the russian stuff  floating around is actually ex-PLO so dont expect anything great. You might drop SG an email, I emailed them about it last week and they told me they were for stamped althought the picture clearly showed part of a milled receiver still attached to the barrel
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 2:54:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 1 from sportsman's It's in pristene condition except for the wood, Banged up to heck, but you have to replace it, to be compliant anyways.  it has markings from the Izhevsk factory without bayonet lug. (also it is a milled unit) I'm currently and slowly trying to build it into a screw build while making the remainder of the reciever in to a trunion. If I'm unhappy with it, I figure I can always order an milled reciever later for it.  It my first build and I'm using the Ohms research dvd as a guide.  I did hear about some of the "plo" kit storys after I ordered it ( and was worryed) but when it arrived it was in great condition. It did not appear to be an plo weapon.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It's in pristene condition except for the wood, Banged up to heck, but you have to replace it, to be compliant anyways.  

No, you don't.  If the kit is used to construct a stamped rifle without a muzzle device there are 15 countable parts for 922(r) compliance.  If you use a muzzle device, there are 16 countable parts.  A milled receiver rifle without a muzzle device has 14 countable parts.  A milled receiver rifle with a muzzle device has 15 countable parts.

The kit in the picture on Sportsman's Guide is a milled kit with a muzzle nut.  The muzzle nut is not counted as a muzzle device.  If you build the kit on a milled receiver you will only need to replace 4 parts to meet 922(r) compliance.  The Fire Control Group and receiver count as 4.  If you can find an imported milled semi-auto receiver, you could replace the gas piston.  Bingo, you can keep the original furniture.  If the furniture is beat up too badly, you may have to replace it.  I prefer to keep as many as possible of the original visible parts.  You can order replacement Russian furniture from Tantal, but it's not cheap.  The U.S. furniture is an easier swap for some people, especially if the original stuff is damaged.  You can find discussion board members who can replicate laminated or solid wood pistol grips.  Zrecto makes some really beautiful copies of pistol grips.  He can replicate the Russian finish color pretty well too.

If you mill the receiver stub and build on a stamped receiver with a muzzle nut, you would need to replace 5 parts to meet 922(r) compliance.  The receiver, FCG, and gas piston would take care of that.

In either case, if you want a muzzle device, just purchase (or make) a U.S. made copy of the desired attachment.  There are U.S. made muzzle nuts if you're feeling paranoid...

Thinice,

Are you going to try to replicate this: (notice the trunnion)

http://www.nd.edu/~bhenness/AK-47.jpg

There's an exploded view of this type at this link:

www.ak-47.net/ak47/parts/dia3.html

It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but if the receiver stub still has the ejector, it would be do-able.  At least the pic may give you an option for machining the receiver stub.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 4:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
ouch! well lets see ,   A us made fcg, furniture , reciever, slant brake, gas piston,and followers.  hows the parts count so far? thanks for the suggestions, I was just trying to explain the condition of the sportsman's guide parts I recieved. Now if you know of any one thats making a  front trunion that will accept the russian threaded barrel ,, so I can replace the modifyed trunion....... Heck let me know.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:55:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I think if we could talk anyone into it, it'd be Justin over at CNCGunsmithing.

www.cncgunsmithing.com/

He really seems to have a thing for the CNC routine.  I'm pretty sure he could bang out a trunnion in no time.  It would have to be heat treated, but that wouldn't be too tough.

I tried to talk him into a full blown milled receiver, but he needs a model to work from to get the dimensions.

At least with your receiver stub, the headspace should be okay.  That's assuming it was a matched kit.  I've never gotten an answer on how to set the headspacing on a threaded barrel...

It really is a shame about the furniture in the SG kits.  The metal parts are so easy to clean up with a file and sandblasting.  A little alumahyde or gunkote and it looks new.  Was the wood gouged or just dented really bad?  The dishwasher trick worked great for the dents in my AMD grips, but it removes the original finish.  The dishwasher won't help gouges, though.  I'm amazed at what those guys on the Mosin-Nagant and Mauser boards do to repair and refinish stocks.

I've been told that a threaded barrel can be turned down to work in a press & pin trunnion or milled receiver.  I would assume that means a press & pin trunnion would have enough meat to possibly tap or machine threads to accept a threaded barrel.  But how would you headspace it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#9]
also I figure if I'm unhappy with my attempt at a build I can always save up and get a firing line reciever, then all I'm out is the sheet metal for the reciever and my time. Which is why I do not want to have the threads removed from the barrel. I must say so far its been interesting,  Rivets/ screws and of course every one has an opinion on it! I've looked at barrels  (to pressin) and its more than the price I payed for the kit!
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:40:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I just looked at justens website , I've run across it before. In short That Guy is The Nuts! He would probaly do it just for the challange! He does some nice stuff.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 1:43:30 AM EDT
[#11]
So any good source for recivers to build one on at the moment?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top