Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 4:22:14 PM EDT
Well as some of you know I recently decided NOT to trade off my Polytech double underfolder. So to make it up to her I decided to give her a good oiling. Then I noticed something that I never did before for some reason. She's got a Russian rear sight on her. Is this normal? The rear sight isn't numbered like most of the other parts are.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like someone may have added a Russian rear sight leaf (for an AK/AKS with milled receiver).  Perhaps someone quite a while back was doing the rifle up as a Russian clone as best they could.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 10:13:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Sweet!

It looks pretty nice.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I retract my previous statement - after posting, I started thinking about your rear sight leaf and it just didn't seem right.  After looking again, I noticed what was nagging me about it.  That's not a Russian AK/AKS rear sight leaf at all.  The number style is not in the Russian style. The "1" is a dead giveaway as it's written in the Chinese style of their Type 56 rear sight leafs.  So is "4" and "3," for certain.  

I think either someone may have removed the original Chinese "D" battle setting character and added the Russian battle setting character; or it's one of those unexplained mysterious much like the Russian battle setting on the rear sight leafs of the Chinese NDM-86 (Dragunov SVD) rifles but with Chinese number styles.  

If you're not the first, original owner of the rifle/bought it new-in-the-box, then it's hard to tell what the deal is.  If you can inspect the battle setting area closely, you may be able to see whether or not that area has been ground/refinished.  It's certainly an interesting issue now.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 5:00:05 AM EDT
[#4]
It's the fake Russian sightleaf that PolyTech manufactured to put on their "Legend" rifles.

Their intention was to make the rifles look like original Russian AKs.

I've never owned a "double-underfolder", but my full-stock "Legend" had this exact sight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to trade i have a Polytech rear sight that is marked normally.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you want to trade i have a Polytech rear sight that is marked normally.

Ah man, I wish you would have read this thread earlier, I already bought a NIW Polytech rear sight assembly from Keng's. Thanks though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It's the fake Russian sightleaf that PolyTech manufactured to put on their "Legend" rifles.

Their intention was to make the rifles look like original Russian AKs.

I've never owned a "double-underfolder", but my full-stock "Legend" had this exact sight.

According to this info, you should leave it alone. I thought it looked original as far as finish. Since you have decided to keep the rifle because of it's collectibility, you should be very careful about changing out anything on it.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:19:29 AM EDT
[#8]

I know the faux-Russian sights are correct for the full-stock "Legend" rifles, but I have no idea what they used on the folders.

Link Posted: 5/1/2009 10:30:08 AM EDT
[#9]
That is the correct sight for the SEMI-AUTO rifle you own.  It's not what they put on their military exports, but it's the correct (or at least A correct sight, as there are some slight variations), sight for your rifle. (to the best of my recollection).
Link Posted: 5/1/2009 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Alright sweet. Well then I guess I'll have a spare Polytech sight then.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top