Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/30/2003 2:35:25 AM EDT
Ahh remember the mid 90's when you could go into a gunshow and buy a NIW Russian (NOT ROMANIAN) for only $89?
The wood & finish of these SKS's are really amazing. No current SKS that is being imported I think compares to these. Also, they are fully milled.

Dont get me wrong, I love the Chinese SKS Carbines and the Yugo's a lot. But these Russians are really a work of art too!

I dont see any around in my area now and I think they have gone up in value by $350

So, if you have one please share some pics!

My 1955 Soviet SKS
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful SKS sir.  I have two Tula Arsenal Russian SKS's.  One a 1953 and the other a 1954.  I have kept one unfired since I got it as I believe it was unissued.  I shoot the other and have never had a problem.  They are extremely reliable and battle accurate.  I can get some decent groups off a rest at 100 yards, typically around three inches, but sometimes as good as two.  

I'll take some pics and post later.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 5:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Pilot,

How do you know which Arsenal your SKS came from? I see the markings on mine but I dont know what they mean or where they are from.
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#3]
IF YOU LOOK ON TOP OF THE RECEIVER ABOVE THE DATE WILL BE EITHER A STAR WITH AN ARROW INSIDE IT-TULA ARSENAL, OR A CIRCLE WITH A TRIANGLE AND ARROW INSIDE- IZHEVSK ARSENAL. GO TO SIMONOV.NET FOR ALL THE FACTS ON SKS'S.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2003 11:42:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:23:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Lumberjack is absolutely correct.  Also, if there is box with a diagonal line through it (sometimes looks like a Z) underneath the Star then its an arsenal refurbished gun.  You may also see X'ed out serial numbers on the buttstock and crossed out serial numbers on other parts that have been re-serialed with an electro-pencil.

I still think the Russians are the best of the lot, but I just may have to get a Yugo.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if there is box with a diagonal line through it (sometimes looks like a Z) underneath the Star then its an arsenal refurbished gun.

Nope, no box with the Z. I remember mine being brand spanking new when I got it. Also, mine looks like it came from the Tula Plant.

Which is better, Tula or the IZHEVSK ?
Link Posted: 6/8/2003 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I got my Russian sks back whene they first came over .From Century arms had them in the SHOTGUN NEWS for $150 I should have bought a few , but young and dumb. I didnt expect much after looking at alot of Chinese ones at gun shows.I have never had any problem with it I have shot Norinco,Wolf ,Barnal,South African Yogo all by the case and it works all the time. It is one I will never part with. 54 Tula. My buddy got one at the same time and has abused his at a cabin he owns it rusted dirty but still work with a little oil and wacking the gas piston free.I see them in NE ohio running $300 and up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:45:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Bumping the thread. I had to re-type the board code for the new image.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top