Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 6:26:17 PM EDT
Did the Russians every  make a AKM (7.62) with a triangle side folding stock on it?  

Someone posted a pic with Usamma shooting one earlier this week , I think.  Was the one he was shooting  a true Russian AKM variant or an Afganistani tent kit Frankenstein???

-vato
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody in the west really knows.

It was thought to be a Pakistani hack job, but similar rifles were seen in the hands of Uzbek Gov't troops last year.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Stottman,

BTT,  Anyone from the day crew have info on these?

-vato
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it was george Bush's fault..he is blamed foreverything else so why not for this.

Seriously though, I heard it was done in Pakistan, but why could the others not have been arsenal rebuilds? They do not need to be all made in the same place. just my $0.02
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:04:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I think it was george Bush's fault..he is blamed foreverything else so why not for this.

Seriously though, I heard it was done in Pakistan, but why could the others not have been arsenal rebuilds? They do not need to be all made in the same place. just my $0.02

Its always possible, but why would anyone to the trouble and cost? Not like they are throwing on a Romanian folder. They would have to cut, weld, rivit, etc.

Pakistani rifle is possible as they do convert Ak74s to fire 7.62x39....

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:29:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I've heard of this practice but I wonder if its due to ammo supply or a dislike of the caliber.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:18:48 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've heard of this practice but I wonder if its due to ammo supply or a dislike of the caliber.

From what I understand, dislike of the caliber..

A friend that worked there for a year mentioned that he only saw one Ak74 the whole time he was there.. Everything else was 7.62. That, and that the whole poison bullet thing is a mistranslation.. The Afgan word aslo means stinging, like a bee sting (aka non lethal).
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:30:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Thats interesting,it would also explain the high number of 7.62 AKs the Northern Alliance has.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its always possible, but why would anyone to the trouble and cost? Not like they are throwing on a Romanian folder. They would have to cut, weld, rivit, etc.

Why did the West Germans refurbish, repaint, and upgrade all those BMPs from the East german army when they knew they were going to be sold off or scrapped anyway, why did they do the same for all those migs that ended up in a scrap heap? It all cost money and effort, All I am saying is that anything is possible. In any case it is probably cheaper than ordering new rifles...why waste them when you have tons of them lying around...I know I may be wrong, but I have seen stranger things.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:31:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why did the West Germans refurbish, repaint, and upgrade all those BMPs from the East german army when they knew they were going to be sold off or scrapped anyway, why did they do the same for all those migs that ended up in a scrap heap? It all cost money and effort, All I am saying is that anything is possible. In any case it is probably cheaper than ordering new rifles...why waste them when you have tons of them lying around...I know I may be wrong, but I have seen stranger things.

Yeah, but the Germans are in allot better place financially and technilogically (cant spell)..

The German military is full of waste. Another example would be closed down American bases here.. Before they are turned over to the Germans, they are remodeled. Then 99% of the time, they are knocked down, and new apartment buildings are built.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Here is sort-of AKM-ish, Russian and with a triangle folder

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#11]
HEY!  Thats a Saiga with dimples, Polish wood and a romanian sling.  Tell me more about your rifle.

Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I could only wish it were mine. No, it belongs to a guy in the Czech Republic I think. And that's what it is except that the PG is Russian, wood may be Polish but don't remember what the guy said
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top