Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/1/2006 12:30:19 PM EDT
What's the best way to make the rear tang/trunnion rivet look like a rivet head (rounded)?

I've seen posts where people use a flat end punch and tap the smashed part till it looks like a rivet head. Seems pretty easy and the pics I've seen look good enough for me. I don't mind the flat rivet look, but want other options for some of my other builds.

I don't wish to buy another tool to do the rear rivets.

Later,
Kyle
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 5:28:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 5:29:07 PM EDT by DUTCHKMA]

Originally Posted By WillysWagon:
What's the best way to make the rear tang/trunnion rivet look like a rivet head (rounded)?

I've seen posts where people use a flat end punch and tap the smashed part till it looks like a rivet head. Seems pretty easy and the pics I've seen look good enough for me. I don't mind the flat rivet look, but want other options for some of my other builds.

I don't wish to buy another tool to do the rear rivets.

Later,
Kyle

Then why are you asking? Plinker's rear rivet jig works perfectly.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:11:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/1/2006 7:12:48 PM EDT by WillysWagon]

Then why are you asking? Plinker's rear rivet jig works perfectly.

Because I don't wish to buy a plinkers jig and wanted to know if anyone had 'another way', other than the one I mentioned
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:22:55 PM EDT
I take two short pieces of 1 1/2" angle iron and dremel a dimple in each. Then I place these on the jaws of a good 6 inch vice and squeeze the rivet. This will form a head on the naked end and protect the existing head on the other. If the vice doesn't have enough force, pound on the jaw with a deadblow hammer, tighten, pound, tighten, pound, etc. Make sure the receiver is squared up with the vice jaws or the new head will be smooshed sideways.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:40:37 AM EDT
i did a howto post on this HERE

but you will need a press
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:37:31 AM EDT
Thanks for the input guys.
I do have some extra bar stock here, so I'll give'r a shot on my next build
Top Top