Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/10/2006 7:19:23 AM EDT
Hey guys -- it's time for me to join the AK club.  I'm trying to get my hands on one for as cheap as possible, and it has to fit the following format:

Fixed laminate stock and forgrips and pisol grip (no thumbhole stocks)
Threaded muzzle (for slant brake)
High-cap mag capability

Uh, well, that's about it.  Right now I'm thinking about getting a low-cap WASR10 from my local Dunham's and converting it.  I have a dremel (but little experience with it) and am not afraid to do the cutting, I guess. But here are a couple questions I didn't see answered in the sticky post:

1. The WASR receivers don't have the dimples on either side of the mag well. I have no provisions for welding; is this a problem? How have you guys solved this problem?

2. The trunion: could you explain to someone (me ho
Any other things I should watch out forhanks
royalwolf
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Surely SOMEONE has done this?  he
Are there two different-sized trunnions I need to watch for in the lo-cap WASRs if I have conversion in mind?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:23:21 PM EDT
[#2]
the truncion is the part that attaches to the recieve in the front. you press the barrel into it. there is nothing about it that has to be touched to convert from low-cap to high cap that i can imagine. i've never done it but it doesn't make since. you can't mess with the back because thats where the feed ramp for the bullet is, and the sides are rivetted in place. you sure as hell dont need to press the barrell out.

my guess is that you just need to widen the mag well with the dremel. take your time doing it and try a couple different mags in there to find the right width with minimal wiggle. switch between a bulgarian and a steel mag for some alternating sizes. adjust and fit.

the wsar doesn't have dimples and thats just part of its charm. its one of the reasons a lot of people are against it, but it doen'st matter. you dont need to do anything to weld peices on the side, just take your time dremeling and adjust the mag well. then unload.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 7:54:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Check the sticky at the top of the forum here for a photo tutorial on how to convert the low cap wasr to standard cap.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I really don't think there is 2 styles of front trunions. Other than as a side note in the tacked thread, I have never seen or heard of one. I wouldn't worry about it.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top