Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/3/2006 5:09:45 AM EDT
Just finished my Romy G on an OOW receiver. Took it to the range the rifle stove pipes unless you push up on the magazine. there is a bit of a gap between the mag latch and the magazine (more than my other AK's). My problem is how can I adjust this? I am thinking of welding on the mag release lever to build it up. using some heat sink compound to keep the heat off the spring.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:06:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/3/2006 12:10:33 PM EDT by Hammer in PA]
One of the things I do to ensure that the rifle operates correctly is to load one round remove the magazine and then fire the rifle. You shouldn't have to have a magazine inserted for the round to fire, extract and eject. So I don't know why yours works properly when you push up on the magazine. Maybe by pushing up on the magazine the empty case is supported until ejection but IMHO that's not going to be the real fix.

Usually, stovepipe problems stem from the case being loose on the bolt face or leaving the bolt face before ejection takes place or possibly during ejection the case is hitting something and remains in the rifle. I have one AK magazine that is "VERY" sloppy and loose (up and down as sideways movement) no matter what rifle I put it in but all of the rifles function normaly with this magazine.

I love troubleshooting but doing this on the internet is very difficult.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:22:56 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
One of the things I do to ensure that the rifle operates correctly is to load one round remove the magazine and then fire the rifle. You shouldn't have to have a magazine inserted for the round to fire, extract and eject. So I don't know why yours works properly when you push up on the magazine. Maybe by pushing up on the magazine the empty case is supported until ejection but IMHO that's not going to be the real fix.

Usually, stovepipe problems stem from the case being loose on the bolt face or leaving the bolt face before ejection takes place or possibly during ejection the case is hitting something and remains in the rifle. I have one AK magazine that is "VERY" sloppy and loose (up and down as sideways movement) no matter what rifle I put it in but all of the rifles function normaly with this magazine.

I love troubleshooting but doing this on the internet is very difficult.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

When I place a mag into the well pull back the charging handle and let fly the bolt catches a round about midpoint, this coincides with what you are saying with the bolt face leaving the cartridge, actually I don't think the bolt face actually engaged the rear of the cartridge but rather rode up over it to a degree. When upward pressure is placed upon the mag the gap between the mag latch and the mag itself closes forcing the cartridge to proper attitude for the bolt face to engage.

I think I have the solution, add metal to the mag release.

Although I am open to any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Glenn
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:15:28 PM EDT
Taking the relationship of the magazine to bolt face aside, if the bolt pushes the cartridge out of the magazine it is only when the round is chambered and the bolt is locked does the rear of the cartridge meet the bolt face. Until that time the bolt is just pushing the cartridge, the cartridge is not locked into the bolt.

Just so I understand what your asking is that a stovepie is where the fired cartridge is sticking out of the rifle and jammed by the bolt (kinda like having a cigar in your mouth). I'm just making sure that were talking about the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:20:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 4:21:16 AM EDT by HUNGARYAN]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
Taking the relationship of the magazine to bolt face aside, if the bolt pushes the cartridge out of the magazine it is only when the round is chambered and the bolt is locked does the rear of the cartridge meet the bolt face. Until that time the bolt is just pushing the cartridge, the cartridge is not locked into the bolt.

Just so I understand what your asking is that a stovepie is where the fired cartridge is sticking out of the rifle and jammed by the bolt (kinda like having a cigar in your mouth). I'm just making sure that were talking about the same thing.

Hammer, I will try to snap a few pics this evening, maybe I am using incorrect terminology with regards to the stovepipe. the bolt catches the round and jams it partially into the chamber, the bolt then binds as it is caught on the cartridge, making it difficult to move rearward.

Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:34:45 AM EDT
i understand and i know why its doing it
the prob is there isnt any easy fix that i know will work

you can try weld on the mag rel
if that dosnt fix your prob your gonna have to move the trunnion back where it should be
if its out so far its causing probs its out atleast 1/8 past where it should be
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:04:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 6:04:19 AM EDT by HUNGARYAN]

Originally Posted By socandyman:
i understand and i know why its doing it
the prob is there isnt any easy fix that i know will work

you can try weld on the mag rel
if that dosnt fix your prob your gonna have to move the trunnion back where it should be
if its out so far its causing probs its out atleast 1/8 past where it should be

Socandyman, I believe you nailed it.

I can pull back on the mag and feel slop so yes it is too far forward, I shoulda checked closer I know these OOW receivers are abit long. dammit!

If it wasnt for that rear trunion rivet I would be ok. F*&^ Dam& sh*&T!.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
rear trunnion rivet ?

you can move the front back alittle
sand alittle off the top cover and your good to go :)
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:17:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By socandyman:
rear trunnion rivet ?

you can move the front back alittle
sand alittle off the top cover and your good to go :)

Sorry I meant the rear most rivet in the front trunion, the one down by the mag well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:18:23 AM EDT
If you dont want to move the trunnion, and you dont want to weld the mag release...

If I understand your problem as Socandyman described...

Try a big glob of jbweld on the mag release. Once its dry it should stand up to some considerable use and you can shape it with a file.

But your probably better off with a small bead welded on the tip.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:40:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ggllggll:
If you dont want to move the trunnion, and you dont want to weld the mag release...

If I understand your problem as Socandyman described...

Try a big glob of jbweld on the mag release. Once its dry it should stand up to some considerable use and you can shape it with a file.

But your probably better off with a small bead welded on the tip.

The JB weld is a good idea, that way if it works I can weld otherwise I'm F-ed and have to deal with the Trunion.

Thx!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 2:01:48 PM EDT
well there you go.

I accept all major forms of payment for my advice. I'll email you your total
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:22:18 PM EDT

well there you go.

I accept all major forms of payment for my advice. I'll email you your total

Well, a bit shy on the Benjamins at this point, Tax time you know, and since I am not one of those folks that Uncle Sam hands a check out to once a month the best I can offer you is a Home cooked meal and an Ice Cold Yeungling Traditional lager, if you ever get to Western Pennsylvania. My wife will do the cooking I promise!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:12:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/4/2006 4:14:05 PM EDT by HUNGARYAN]
Ok, I am wondering if this might work,

Placing 2 small beads of weldment located as shown (red blobs) this should push the mag back a bit. what do you think?

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:21:31 PM EDT
Here are my thoughts on that idea.

It would probably work, but then you run the risk of loosing integrity between the front of the mag and the receiver, where the mag "hinges" into position.

Look at it this way too....If you weld on the mag release and mess it up, you just have to replace that and try again.

If you weld on the Trunnion and F it up, your back to the same place as you would be if you just removed the trunnion to fix it in the first place.

Aim small, miss small
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:32:02 PM EDT

Here are my thoughts on that idea.

It would probably work, but then you run the risk of loosing integrity between the front of the mag and the receiver, where the mag "hinges" into position.

Look at it this way too....If you weld on the mag release and mess it up, you just have to replace that and try again.

If you weld on the Trunnion and F it up, your back to the same place as you would be if you just removed the trunnion to fix it in the first place.

Aim small, miss small

Dumb question, but can just the spring and lever be replaced or is it a replace the trigger guard thing? looks like a funky rivet holding the release in.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:25:20 PM EDT
Well, yes and no.

The rivet for the mag catch is more like rivets you find on a three ring binder. Your best bet to replace it would be to buck a new rivet perfectly so not to squish the trigger guard frame.... Or, to put a pin in it and weld both sides. OR even easier would be to tap one side of the trigger guard, thread the appropriate button head machine screw in it with loctite and be done with it.

I would go with the third method if you ever had to replace the mag catch.

But to answer your question, yes the Spring and Lever can be replaced w/ out taking the trigg. guard off.

-Matt
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:52:22 PM EDT
glenn you dont want to weld inside the trunnion
as moving the mag back may make it tight but may also cause FTF

i think your best bet at is to try and weld the mag rel
you can drive the pin out with a small punch (make shure you support the back)
add 1/8 or so to it and reinstall it
if the pin is lose crush it between your vise jaws and it will get tight again
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:38:33 AM EDT
Thx guys, ok, no welding on the trunion.

Remove latch, backing it up so as not to bend the assembly.

Add weldment

Clean up weld as required with Mr. Dremel

Return to housing assembly

Cross fingers

Open beer

Wait for the weekend range session.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:40:07 AM EDT
Test Fit the new Mag release in the trigger guard with a mag before you reinstall your rivet.

Use the old one as an axle
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:47:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 4:50:38 PM EDT by HUNGARYAN]
Based upon the suggestions by the guys here I have decided to modify the mag catch. I backed up the mag catch and extended it by welding on a section of steel from an old Remington choke tube wrench. Fit perfect. Cycled 30 rounds by hand and it was %100. Tomorrow is the real thing at the range. Does not look perfect but if it solves the problem, cool plus I gain a mag catch extension for those gloved hands shooting sessions.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:19:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:29:28 PM EDT

Ok I am so busted, got my beer, got my AK well hell now I am missing some tobbacco, then I would have it all!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:39:07 PM EDT
Fired her Sunday....All rounds down range with not one malfunction, only put a 30 round mag thru her but that was enough for me. before I could not get 2 rounds off before a ftf.

Glenn
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:27:23 PM EDT
Congrats.

Nothing like have a 100% functioning AK that you built.

FREE
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:19:40 AM EDT
Hello Hungaryan,

Don't feel bad, son . . . we all make mistakes now and then.

Matter of fact . . . I did the SAME thing ! !

On one of my first builds -- I have since "learned" a bunch more ! -- I too had the front trunnion up just a little too far. Was having FTF every now and then too.

So . . . . here's what I did: drilled out the rivets on the front of the trigger guard and removed the safety stop plate (that little piece of metal between the receiver and the trigger guard). Filed it down to about 1/2 of the original thickness. Rivet back into place. Now the rear of mag sets a little higher inside the receiver -- problem gone ! !

Seems that the bolt catches the next round up just fine, but does not catch on the mag.

This may not be the best solution, but it worked for me.

Top Top