Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/10/2006 7:39:00 PM EDT
Ewbanks receivers, G2 fcg, Ironwood pg, US mb. The bolt carrier on the second from right is plum colored giveing a redish glare.

Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:08:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you put the finger grooves in  the front HG's?

Those look sweet!  Mine do not have those, but would be a nice addition.

DK
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I did add the grooves in.

I grab the front grip comfortably then drew lines for my index finger. Using the large brown sanding wheel in my dremel kit I ground  in the first finger, Then drew in the second finger and did the same Hand sanded smooth with 320 grit wet dry paper. The grips are so much more comfortable for me with a medium size hand.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 3:59:37 AM EDT
[#3]
What kind of muzzle brakes are on the first 3? and were did you get them?
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice, very nice.  I'm waithing for build to get done.
Link Posted: 3/11/2006 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Great Looking Rifles!!!!!

How did you do your wood finishing??  I would like to try it on my rifle.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:45:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What kind of muzzle brakes are on the first 3? and were did you get them?

They're birdcage FH. Bought them off EE from thedukeryan. Bushmaster also sales them in 14x1 threads. The duke is much cheaper on shipping, and quicker to ship if he has them.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a bulgie from duke ryan. good shipper, hi quality guy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Great Looking Rifles!!!!!

How did you do your wood finishing??  I would like to try it on my rifle.

I like using alcohol based dyes on gun stocks. Found it is easier to control the depth of color. On these I used solar-lux med red mahoghny. Two teaspoons of dye deluted by three teaspooons of denatured alcohol. That was enough to do three complete stock sets, two coats, applied with a cotton ball. One coat displayed the lams great but the large open wood areas were to light for my tastes (kinda pink).

For the wood, I used stripper from HD. Then Squirted them down with Orange Blast engine degreaser from Walmart. Pulled oil and color from the wood, and raised many of the dents. As you look down the stock you will notice uneveness. Used 80 grit orbital sander just enough to remove the high areas. 220 grit wet/dry block sand everything, finished with 400 grit wet/dry block.

I don't like to over sand for a grain pattern. Ruined a mauser stock and enfield doing that  just to get a certain look in the grain. Nice pattern but the stocks were skinny. A friend who was a furniture maker sanded his Romy stock down to look like a Russ set. Pretty pattern but to get there the butt stock has been thinned so that the butt cap is wider than the wood.

Finish is minwax tung oil eight coats wipe on thin. Found that varnishes over time yellow and at the edges where there is end grain, oil gets in and causes the varnish to crack.

The three rifles on the left I'm giving to my nephews. They wanted to use the romy stocks but wanted to extend em, so they order in recoil pads from Ironwood with the pg. Top left rifle is for my son. The other two buttstocks are for my builds that I'll start next.

Link Posted: 3/12/2006 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a pic of my second build first Romy

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Major,

Thanks for the info.....will try it on my Romy....
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top