Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/26/2006 4:48:58 AM EDT
I was thinking of modeling my SAR1 after a Romanian military AKM version. I got a side folding wire stock but after doing some research I have only seen them on the Romanian AK74 copy, anyone know if they were used on AKM (7.62) rifles? I also got a Romanian cone/birdcage style flash hider anyone know what Romanian rifle it was used on? I was thinking of polishing my bolt but every pic of a Romy rifle I have seen didn't have the chromed out bolt. Either way I'm going to use my Romy folder and flash hider but I thought it would be cool to model it after one of the original Romanian AKM rifles.

I did some research over the internet and some books I have and came up with this list of rifles. None of the sources info was the same but some was close. Anyone have any accurate info on the Romanian Military rifles.

AKM/AIM63 - Copy of Soviet AKM came with fixed stock, lower handguard could be traditional or forward pointing foregrip, and a slant break or muzzle nut.

AKMS/Pistol Mitraliera 63 (AIMS assault rifle) - Comes with underfolder stock and rear pointing foregrip.

AKM-R/AIM80  - Compact version of the AKM with an 8'' barrel, side folding stock, 20rd. mag

AK74/AIMS 74 - Comes with side folding stock, Romanian version of AK74 brake, forward pointing foregrip, bakelite upper handguard

RPK - Copy of Soviet RPK
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:59:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The Romainians did use side-folders on the 7.62 AIM, but only with a Muzzle nut. THe cone flashider is an RPK FH.
http://www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/15339AIMS.jpg
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The Romainians did use side-folders on the 7.62 AIM, but only with a Muzzle nut. THe cone flashider is an RPK FH.
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/15339AIMS.jpg

Thnaks!
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Excelenat summary of AIM rifles, but the AIM 74 furhter differs from the AK-74 in that it retained the AKM profile gas block, had a bayonet lug mounted on the front edge of the lowere FSB, and has 3-shot burst capability.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I wasn't sure about the flash hider I did see it refrenced on a web site or book as RPK style. The few places that sell it, sell it as a Romanian AIM/Krinkov cone style flash hider. It's threaded 14x1 LH, wasn't sure if that was the same thread on a RPK barrel.

I did see on the Tantal web site the AIM74 has two bayonet lugs one one the FSB and another on the gas block or something like that.

Thanks for the info, sucks alot of info in books and web sites differs or lacks some information.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I did see on the Tantal web site the AIM74 has two bayonet lugs one one the FSB and another on the gas block or something like that.

The lug on the gas block is an accessory lug. The lug on the FSB is the bayonet lug.

I will also add to the above that the AIMS-74 has the upswept 45 degree charging handle.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet! Mine looks just like that now. Even with the obvious plastic pistol grip. (I think that's what's on there in the pics).
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Sweet! Mine looks just like that now. Even with the obvious plastic pistol grip. (I think that's what's on there in the pics).

i just wish there were pistol grips made that color that were US made.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Two pics of a Romy AK I fiddled with in Bosnia in 1998.  Hope this helps.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:54:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Two pics of a Romy AK I fiddled with in Bosnia in 1998.  Hope this helps.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/kornjaca/AK%20stuff/RomAKM1.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/kornjaca/AK%20stuff/RomAKM2.jpg

Thats cool thanks for posting! Whats on the mag shrink wrap/plastic wrap???

Cigolon MaasGuns has a few red pistol grips left. They don't look like the pistol grip in the pic above but it's red and a U.S. part.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#10]
It's some sort of local blue carpet/duct tape that appears ubiquitous there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:11:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Here are most of the Romy Models, collect them all
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Interesting how even that image misidentifies the PSL as a "Dragonuv."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Interesting how even that image misidentifies the PSL as a "Dragonuv."

The image is from an ad in a Swiss firearms magazine; I had a copy of this once when I lived abroad.  So it's not a Rumanian parts catalog.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:24:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Ok I did see a pic of a AIR rifle in 5.45 that seems to be a Romanian version of a Krinkov and it did use the Romy flash hider along with the RPK.

This list seems to be most accurate

AIM (7.62x39) - Romanian version of the AKM came with a fixed stock, forward pointing grip, muzzle nut or slant brake (May also been called AIM63)

AIMS (7.62x39) - Romanian version of AKM came with a underfolder stock, rear pointing grip or wire folding stock and forward pointing grip and either a muzzle nut or slant brake (May also been called AIMS 63)

AIMS 74 (5.45x39) - Romanian version of AKS74 comes with wire folding stock, unswept 45 degree charging handle, three shot burst, AKM style gas block with accessory lug, bakelite upper handguard and forward pointing grip lower hanguard, bayonet lug on front sight block and Romanian version of AK74 brake 22mm. Some have a grenade launcher where the lower handguard would be. (AIM 74 I guess would be the fixed stock version if they made any)

AIR (7.62/5.45) - Romanian version of the Krinkov came with Romy wire folder, traditional handguards, cone flash hider, and might be issued with 20rd. magazines. (7.62 version may have been called AIM80)

RPK (7.62/5.45) - Copy of Soviet RPK came with cone flash hider (RPKS has wire side folder).

PSL (7.62x54) - Romanian version of a Dragunov although totaly different.

Some AIMS 74 rifles could possibly be in 5.56 NATO and there probaly was a AKM in 22LR for training also but can't find much info on either.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top