Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/3/2005 4:46:47 PM EDT
Hello Guys,
I can pretty much trouble shoot anything on an AR but I'm not up to speed too much with my AK.
I have a SAR-1 which has always run well untill recently I'm starting to get more and more jams.
The jams only occur feeding the round. The last round fired ejects with no problem. I tried polishing the feed ramp and it already has a RSA trigger system in it so I did'nt mess with that. I only shoot FMJ but when the jam occurs, all I have to do is pull the charging handle back just a little and let it go which always makes it feed the next round. If this was an AR I'd say that it was a gas problem because it seems like it might be short stroking. Does the gas piston need to be periodically replaced after 5 or 6 thousand rounds? (that's about what I have in it)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Base-Rigger
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:53:29 PM EDT
Replace your action spring, and make shure your piston pin is not wobbly if it is repin the front of the piston so it is ridgid.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:57:02 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:58:25 PM EDT
some wobble is good, but I have seen these with enough to be my elbow. It binds in the tube if it has too much.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT
I would check your gas port to make sure nothing is blocking it. Use the little tool in your cleaning kit to check it out. Next, use a little lube on the the recoil spring and the guide rails. I like to use a little CLP.

If that does not work, then look into replacing the recoil spring.

BTW, how many rounds do you have through the beastie?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:06:27 PM EDT
Yeah, the piston does have some wobble but not not much. I have never replaced the action spring so it may very well be weak. As far as the mags go, I have about 50 that I rotate through so I don't see the same mag twice very often,
Thanks guys
Base-Rigger
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:09:58 PM EDT
ok.. let me recap you prob

You can pull the charging handle back and let go and it will load the first round with no issues
You fire it, it ejects the spent round but the bolt jams on the next round while still in the mag

Is that right?

ok.. here are some thoughts
(1) Clean the gas block
(2) gas pistons DON'T wear out.. PERIOD
(3) I don't think it is a recoil spring since you can pull it back and it loads the next round

So if it were mine, I would take it all apart.
Get some brake cleaner and spray in the gas block. DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A PAINTED FINISH< ONLY IF BLUED OR PARKED
Keep spraying until it comes out clean, well pretty clean.

Put a light coat of oil on the receiver rails.
Put it back together

I think you are not getting enough gas to cycle the action.
So you are short stroking it. Short strokes will cause the round to eject, but not go far enough back to provide enough spring strength to pull a new one or enough to get back past the rim of the new round.

It could be the recoil spring, but I think a good cleaning would do it.
I know I have NEVER cleaned the gas block out on my AK's.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:11:33 PM EDT
Have you cleaned the gas port with a reamer? Make sure the piston has wobble, make sure that it does not bind on the inside of the gas tube/ensure the gas tube is installed properly and cleaned.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:21:30 AM EDT
You don't have one of those buffers in it do you?

I never had problems with them but some guns do.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 1:52:25 AM EDT
remove your gas tube
take a can of brake cleaner with a straw on it and stick the straw into the gas port in the gas block
point the barrel down and let her rip
you know if thats the prob cause all kinds of shit will fall from the end of the barrel
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:47:10 AM EDT
Are you sure it's an AK? They don't typically have problems!

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:26:20 AM EDT
Bet its a mag problem..Have you tried other mag's????
Top Top