Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/4/2006 4:13:14 AM EDT

Brown Santa left a box at the front door today.. It a Rommy "G" kit..
After 4 hours of work this is the result.. not to bad..
I used a OOW reciever , on this one.. its been a while since i used a OOW
and i noticed they moved their stamping a few inches foward on the left side.

This Rommy is riveted using the bolt cutter method.. I used rivets from AA-Ok
that i bought several months ago..i dont know who made them but they were
on the hard side,, took alot of effort to squeeze them but they seated really tight.
there is no trigger set in it yet ,,i have a G2 set somewhere ,and the other US parts on the shelf..
This kit had really nice wood in it.. not a ding or scratch .. which really suprized me..
I'll be finishing the metal with alumihyde-II .. since i already have a couple
cans on hand.

I still need to check the headspace and get the other things done , test it
then strip it down for finishing..

Yes it took me 4 hours to get it this far.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:35:33 PM EDT
[#1]
yep, looks good.  I did mine yesterday too.  Took me about 7 hours but started from a flat.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 7:37:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 2:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good!  How many had you built before this one?
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:20:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I am very impressed you guys can do these things in four or seven hours. I have beem working on a Romy G too, but I don't have a bent reciever yet and I have put at least 12 hours into it.

Yours looks very nice though, have fun with it.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#5]
i spent about 7 hours on mine just working on the barrel pin!!!  

then i broke down and purchased a shop press.  then spent about 4 more hours looking for something that wouldn't bend pressing it out...  that bastard was stuck.

no more vise/hammer method for me.  

i'm gonna make up some jigs for the press.  should make barrel removal/install a little easier too.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 1:43:22 AM EDT
[#6]
i just used a punch (snap-on) as an arbor to press out the barrel pin..
i have a 40 ton comercial press so very little effort is needed to take any AK apart
having the right and quality tools makes all the difference ... and saves a ton of time

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 5:13:54 AM EDT
[#7]
the trick to barrel pins is to have the trunion as solid as possible....also start the pin out w/ something Very short..then go to something longer to press the rest of the way

those guns look nice!!
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a short and long ground down phillips screwdriver head.  short to pop loose and long to push rest way out using 20 ton press.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 10:39:38 AM EDT
[#9]
good looking builds all
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top