Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/12/2007 9:44:46 PM EDT
Well I took the plunge and figure to build my first AK. Ordered a kit from Cope's and plan on ordering a receiver from NDS. Compliance parts from where ever. What do the bores of these rifles typically look like? Good, bad? Will post pictures when I get it together, I plan on using the u-drives. Thanks

mfn
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 10:48:18 PM EDT
[#1]
copes is pretty reliable. you wont be disappointed. the romy's are usualy in really good condition. most have either never been fired or very litte use. the wood can be pealed a little but over all they are in good shape
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 2:52:59 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on Copes. quick shipment every time, no matter if it was a kit or a part. Only real blemish found on kits which was just mentioned in post is wood finish-no big deal at all. Bores of kits I received were excellent cond. Good luck, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen posts (about other vendors) were people took issue with the stated condition of the outside of the Rommy kits (rust, extreem surface finish loss) but do not recal anyone not happy the the bores on the Rommy G kits. The vhrome line seemed to have been taken care of if they were shot much at all.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:01:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Cope's owner is very concerned with people being happy. I gave them a try after I saw a post where he responded to someones concerns.
I had a situation with tem. He next day air'd the stuff, AND made up for the in convenience. I still buy from them....
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I made the right choice then. Coming from building an FAL Imbel kit (little finish left but untouched rifling) sounds like this kit will be nice. As for the wood, no big deal. I was planning to cut the pistol grip off of the forearm and refinish the wood anyway. I love it when a project starts to comes together

mfn
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 7:52:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gotten into building alot in the last two years and although I have had good to great service from all the vendors I've dealt with, Cope's has been my favorite. And I have the bills to prove it too. He's one of the best.

Perhaps I'm just lucky or easy to deal with, but good service is the worst I have received. And I've bought from about a dozen different companies now.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 9:23:15 AM EDT
[#7]
I shop with Copesdist.com exclusively for my firearm building.  The only time I don't purchase from them is when they don't have what I want.  All of the kits I have seen from them have been as good if not better from others (i.e. akparts.com).  My most recent kit was an un-issued and looks like new.  Their service is also great, sometimes they take a while to get back to you, but their problem resolution is thorough.  So my feeling is you can purchase anything from them with confidence (I purchase a lot of the AR15 items and only now am starting to get to know their AK items).

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 10:20:55 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 for Copes. I bought 2 of my 3 Romy kits from them. Both were "off the top of the pile" kits. Maybe just my luck but both were all matching. One was an 80's kit the other was from 1976. Bores on both were perfect. Finish on the metal of the 76 kit was rough but I don't care as I refinish them myself.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#9]
just got one from Copes today they are awsome.
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
tag
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:15:39 AM EDT
[#11]
+1 for Cope's! I received my 2 kits today, and they were both beautiful. One kit was unfired.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:53:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep, the Romy's were carried a lot and fired very little (if at all).  Some Romy's even have paper down the bore, indicating they've never been fired !

You did good here.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Well you all were correct. Fast shipping (ordered on Monday, arrived on Thurs.) and I received a kit in great shape. Ran a swab down the bore and it looks new, finish is completely intact, and the stockset is pretty nice. Matching numbers too. Thanks Cope's. Now waiting on my receiver to get this rifle back to life. Thanks

mfn
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Well you all were correct. Fast shipping (ordered on Monday, arrived on Thurs.) and I received a kit in great shape. Ran a swab down the bore and it looks new, finish is completely intact, and the stockset is pretty nice. Matching numbers too. Thanks Cope's. Now waiting on my receiver to get this rifle back to life. Thanks

mfn

But more importantly...... ()
Did you get a "Cope's" pen with your order? I have two of those now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But more importantly...... ()
Did you get a "Cope's" pen with your order? I have two of those now.

HMMMM, no sir, no pen at all (and yes i did dig through all the paper and bags TWICE looking for spare goodies) Mabye I'll get one with my next purchase

mfn
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 3:25:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Roger will treat you right.
 I bought a Bulgy Krink Kit, Tantal KitsX3 and some mags from them @Knob Creek Machine gune shoot.
 Since I have been stocking up on kits with the prices going crazy if you have not bought the  odd pieces already you will find yourself paying fortune.
  M92s are a good example. Demills have went up 150.00 bucks in the last month.
I stuck back 8 of them @350 and now they are 600.
   So if you can afford them buy them. Same way with any quality AK. I have put back every Arsenal AK that crosses my path used at a good price and they have they gained value like crazy.
   Just some thoughts.
 P.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:20:16 PM EDT
[#17]
For parts kits, Copes is the best (centerfire is the worst).
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 9:10:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
 Since I have been stocking up on kits with the prices going crazy if you have not bought the  odd pieces already you will find yourself paying fortune.
  M92s are a good example. Demills have went up 150.00 bucks in the last month.
I stuck back 8 of them @350 and now they are 600.
   So if you can afford them buy them. Same way with any quality AK. I have put back every Arsenal AK that crosses my path used at a good price and they have they gained value like crazy.
   Just some thoughts.
 P.

I know where you are coming from. I bought an FAL Imbel kit in Dec for $150.00, now they get snapped up priced at $225.00. As for the AK, I want to keep this build (my 1st) on a tight budget and the Romy kit fits the bill. If I can do it without screwing the pooch, I may be willing to go for some of the more exotic kits. The kit I received is in much better shape than some of the trash I have seen at gunshows around here.

mfn
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top