Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:03:12 AM EDT
I building a Romanian kit right now. I want to keep the original stock parts so I plan to replace the gas piston as one of the required 6 parts.
Anybody know what size the gas piston pin is? I sanded the outside of the bolt carrier and can just barely make out the pin. I assume that I need to drill the original pin out. I tried hitting it with a punch, but I think it must be peened on the ends. It doesn't seem to budge.
Anyway, what is the best way to disassemble the carrier/piston assembly and reassemble it.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:34:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I used 1/8" round stock that I bought from the hardware store.  I took off all of the finish, and found the edges of the existing pin... drill down some until you can punch it out.  Make sure you measure the OAL of the assembly with the old piston in so that you screw in the new one the correct amount.

I believe Pookie's web site has specific instructions, such as what drill bits to use... I'm at work and the port numbers are blocked, so I can't access it from here.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 4:57:57 AM EDT
[#2]
It is peened over on both ends so you will have to drill a little bit to get past the peened part.  Just be sure to center punch the center of the pin so you drill equally.  All you need to do is to remove just a little bit of material.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top