Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/19/2006 10:32:26 AM EDT
How well does the Romanian .22lr AK training rifle work?  Any issues?

Are mags available?  If they are, are there mags larger than 10 round available?

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Cpt_Kirks,
I have not read anything good about the AK trainers. I got one in last week and the comments were correct, FTF,FTF,FTE. The thing never did run. I got a return authorization # and sent it back for a replacement. Hopefully, the next one will actually fire. It is a nice copy of the AK. But it is a little pricey if it will not fire.
Mags were $20 and the max. is 10 rounds. I will let you know how the replacement works.
Drover
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Same with the one I own.  Did a little work to the mags per another owner's posting.  Not been out to fire it though.  Will report back.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one, and it works well if you find the ammo that it can digest. In my case, CCI Mini Mags are great. I can go through mags of this ammo without a failure to fire or without any stove pipes. I have my barrel threaded so that I can attach a GemTech Vortex-2 suppressor. I do get FTF when I switch over to subsonic ammo.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:05:47 AM EDT
[#4]
How does it operate?  Surely it doesn't use the AK gas system, it must be blowback.

Any chance of getting some pics of the internals?  Does it use standard AK FCG parts?  

It sounds like the guns for sale are used.  How badly used are they?

Sorry about all the questions, but if I am going to spend $300 on a .22, I want all the details first.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:38:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Are these the new .22 AK's that Century has, or the AKT-98's from a year or so ago that SOG was selling?  

I have one of the AKT's, but do have feed problems.  One mag does not lock in tight, so that is the cause of one of my problems.  Two other mags were broken, so I replaced the plastic mag with aluminum marlin mags: they work pretty well.  All told I have about a 3% jam rate: sometimes higher, sometimes lower.  
Drover: please keep us posted on how yours is working.

Thanks!

Brad
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:15:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm asking about the guns Centerfire has, they are probably the same as the Century guns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#7]
tagged,I've been thinking about getting one Myself.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine came from SOG, and it looked new out of the box. I returned it and the replacement did not make it in this week. I picked it over the CFS unit because CFS's gun has the Draganov style stock and I wanted the pistol grip version.
Cpt_Kirks- No gas system. Simple blow back design. The upper hand guard and piston tube is there but without the piston. The operating rod set up is identical to an AK. The spring is smaller and weaker to handle the .22
I did not study the internals very much, but I believe the FCG would interchange with most AKM's.
It will be next weekend before I can report on the situation with the replacement rifle.
Drover
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mine came from SOG, and it looked new out of the box. I returned it and the replacement did not make it in this week. I picked it over the CFS unit because CFS's gun has the Draganov style stock and I wanted the pistol grip version.
Cpt_Kirks- No gas system. Simple blow back design. The upper hand guard and piston tube is there but without the piston. The operating rod set up is identical to an AK. The spring is smaller and weaker to handle the .22
I did not study the internals very much, but I believe the FCG would interchange with most AKM's.
It will be next weekend before I can report on the situation with the replacement rifle.
Drover

Your's had a pistol grip?  I wonder how they got around 922r compliance?

I assumed the thumbhole stock was for "sporting" compliance.  The fact that it uses standard AK parts makes it possible US made parts could be added, so a pistol grip could be used.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:53:09 PM EDT
[#11]

What pistol grip nonsence? this is how mine came out of the box.. pistol grip included..
btw 922 does not effect .22 rifles...

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:50:35 PM EDT
[#12]
(D'oh, hit submit twice!)

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:51:05 PM EDT
[#13]
IIRC, 922 applies to any "Military Style Semi-Auto Rifle".  I don't remember any caliber restrictions.  I'm not saying you're wrong, I've just never heard that.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 6:06:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I just checked with my friendly neighborhood FFL and he is on file with Centerfire.  I guess I'll order one of their .22 AK's Monday.  I'll post pics and how it shoots when it comes in.

Though, as slow as Centerfire is to ship, that may be a month...

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Cpt_Kirks,
Check with your dealer. I think the CFS guns have the "Dragonov" style stock. The gun that I got came from Southern Ohio Guns, and it had the pistol grip like in the previous post.
Drover
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Cpt_Kirks,
Check with your dealer. I think the CFS guns have the "Dragonov" style stock. The gun that I got came from Southern Ohio Guns, and it had the pistol grip like in the previous post.
Drover

Yeah, I'm looking at the CFS catalog and they do have the thumbhole stock.  I can fix that in about 2 minutes...

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top