Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:28:36 AM EDT
Ive had the Chinese type and it was easy to keep them loaded...just dont wind the spring untill your ready. How about the Rom drum???? Your depressing the main spring to load it....how long can you keep them loaded????? Are they like a regular mag you can load and not worry about it?????????
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I've wondered the same thing.  I always keep some of my regular mags loaded - for several months sometimes.  I've never had any problem.

I hear people always preaching not to do it, but I haven't seen any problems.

I would suppose that the spring material in the Russian/Romanian Drums are similiar.  I've been wanting to p/u a couple and keep one loaded just to experiment.  I'm kinda cheap though.  I've been looking to get them for 70ish shipped and keep missing them on the EE.

You'd think with them being military type equipment, that they would be built to stay loaded for an extended time.  I can't see troops being coached to:

"Leave 'em unloaded men - then when you see the enemy coming - then and only then - load the drums up and let 'em have it.  But remember, after the shootings over - get them things unloaded."

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll get varying responses on that question.  I've heard and read that they are like a normal mag, in that keeping them loaded isn't bad for them.

My romy drum is partially loaded with maybe 25-35 rounds in it from the last time I used it....about 5 months ago.  I need to take it out and see if it has been 'affected' by being partially loaded for a while.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
doneking......True, thats the way I feel about it. I was lucky and got one for $60 shipped. Im like you Im cheap and waited till I found a deal. maybe a half load in them would be ok????? Id like to find out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:27:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Well isn't it an absolute with springs that repeated compression and decompression is what weakens them and not prolonged compression?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:34:39 PM EDT
[#5]
0612Devil yes thats the word....but the springs are different in a drum....so I was wondering how everyone else keeps them....loaded or un loaded??????????
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top