Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/5/2003 4:29:13 AM EDT
I was talking with a guy today on the phone who makes custom AKs about the possibility of him making a threaded FSB for me since k-var doesn't have them anymore (for 10 mths now I think?). I wanted him to spot weld a slip-on adapter (smooth inside) to a FSB so I could put a brake on instead of threading the barrel. He said he had tried it before, but because the SAR2 barrel was so thin, it caused the barrel to deform and he had to cut and re-crown the barrel. He also said it would drastically affect the accuracy of the rifle - for the worse. Basically, he said he would not do it.

My question is, exactly how could reaming out an adapter, sliping it over the barrel and spot welding it to the FSB (not the barrel) cause the barrel to distort? Is the barrel on the SAR2 that weak or thin? For that matter, what would happen if I threaded the barrel on either my SAR1 or SAR2? Wouldn't that be even worse?

I am totally new to the AK. Does this sound right to you guys? Couldn't it be made off of the rifle, welded, and then reinstalled?  I am not talking about welding it to the barrel itself.

Thanks - Shon
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 4:57:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:06:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Order your smooth bore 22mm adapter from Jayson at investmentgradefirearms.com  He designed these to do exactly what you are wanting to do.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:39:16 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Order your smooth bore 22mm adapter from Jayson at investmentgradefirearms.com  He designed these to do exactly what you are wanting to do.

I talked to Jayson at IGF and will be sending my SARs to him.  After talking to him, I can say the guy I talked to yesterday was a little off.  Thanks for the replys.

-- Shon
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 3:41:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:14:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!  The AR side of the house helped me big time on selection of my toys and this side is no different.  I was kind of puzzled by what he said as it didn't make much sense unless he boo-booed?  Any way, thanks for the help.

-- Shon
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top