Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2004 11:49:23 AM EDT
I am going to be doing some mods to my Romanian AK-47 and wanted to have the process posted on a website an so I will post it here. First off I will give a brief back ground on the AK that i had purchased a little over a year ago from Centerfire Systems for $425.00 with a 10 rnd and 4- 30 rnd clips including cleaning kit an O.D. Green sling. The AK was shipped promptly an had no issues with the shipping or cost of shipping but the firearm came with a score sheet with a 3 rnd group claiming to be at 100 yrds... at the range the AK was no where on the target let alone with 2" MOA. The front site needed t be adjusted, once done the AK fired respectable groups for what the gun really is. The over all quality of the firearm was very good with 99% blue and no cracks or issues to address with the stock.
My first step in the process was of course to obtain clips an drums, then it was to pick an plan out exactly what I wanted on the AK.
Once I figure out how to post pics on this site I will post one of the AK in its stock formation, then as I add the accesories to the firearm I will include updated pics of them as well.hliteUS Choete HandGuard -Rail+Grip+Flashlite-   - $129.90
AK Brass catcher bushmaster.com$35.00
Extended Magazine Release $25
Collaspable AR15 mount $15
Collaspable AR15 Stock $100

If you guys have any other ideas as to what to do to my AK, feel free to post them here as I am looking to totally trick this baby right out lol. I will be back soon with pics of the AK in its stock configuration
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#1]
While not a purist I'm a big believer in the KISS principle when it comes to my AKs. My 5.45 AKs have only the following:
Romy folding stocks
Extended mag releases
PK-AS sights
Znich tactical lights.
Total cost of all upgrades about $425.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:21:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, I said I would return with pics of the AK in its original configuration an here it is. Its a pic thats about 6 months old, since then I have obtained 1 more face loading 75 round drum an a few more 30 round clips http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Pirahna/editedAKpic.bmp
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that an AR stock on an AK looks like some form of junkyard engineering.

K.I.S.S.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#4]
OK, here is pics of the accesories I plan on purchasing and installing on my AK, like I said if any of you can think of any other ideas of what i can add to this ak then by all means please let me know
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Pirahna/16218057AKTacticalSideMountSysScopeLaserFlashlite-199.bmp
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Pirahna/USChoeteHandGuard-RailGripFlashlite--129.bmphttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Pirahna/AKBrasscatcherbushmaster.bmp
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/Pirahna/CollaspableAR15mount.bmp
CAR stock assembly pic is from lowammo's post here on ar15 and I have placed an order with him for the ar15 mount kit
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:41:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Clips? Like roach clips or hair clips?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:42:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I think that an AR stock on an AK looks like some form of junkyard engineering.

K.I.S.S.

While I can appreciate your oppinion I have to make a simple statement regarding my decision to add the CAR stock to the ak-47... I love the ak-47 an its reliable rugged design and love the CAR stock assembly and its simple yet functional design, hence it seems natural to add the two items together in my book. Besides, at one time or another the exact same thing was said to the car stock in regards to it being added to the m16 family, now its commonly acceptedhe
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Clips? Like roach clips or hair clips?

lol Magazines, but if I had to choose between roach clips an hair clips.... puff, puff, pass
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 8:01:41 PM EDT
[#9]
lol, wondering if anyone has noticed that little device on the trigger guard yet?? its the tac trigger that enables me to operate the trigger to cycle the rate of fire of 600-700 rounds per minute. Dunno exactly what the rate of fire is for my ak with this, but the best I can pull off is to empty a 30 round mag in 2.7 seconds give or take 1/10th of a second for human error lol and yes its legal since the federal law mandates the terms of a full auto firearm by its internal components, not rate of fire or external accesories added lol...
WOOOO HOOOOO ITS 12 AM here an the AWB is now dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!hug.gif
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Cool

On that CAR stock, seems pointless to me when fully collapsed it still is considerably longer than an AK with a folded stock. If you have more than one SAR1, say 5 or more,  I could understand doing that but otherwise, no way!

Link Posted: 9/13/2004 7:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cool hat
hr

Well thats is another reason why I am deciding to go with the CAR stock for my ak... I am a tall guy with long reach an every time I  shoulder the ak I feel as if the reciever is about 3-4 inches to close. Wanting to go with a 6 position CAR stock assembly so I can find that sweet spot faster an easier when shouldering the firearm, with a 6 position theres gotta be one position where it fits as close to perfect as I can get it
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 8:22:59 AM EDT
[#12]
anything else you all can think of to add to the list of items to trick this Romanian AK out? I wanna have an AK that when brought out at the range causes a eye popping effect to other shooters.  Granted its an AK, but none the less theres gotta be more options for this than that lol
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm planning on getting a 3 sided forearm rail from www.krebscustom.com

Only problem is I'm not ready to pony up the $80 or so he wants for his.

You may want to check out the ACE folding stock www.aceltdusa.com

I have that one on my SAR1 right now. They have multiple lengths to choose from and using their folding block you could put your AR telescoping stock and have fold!

Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm planning on getting a 3 sided forearm rail from www.krebscustom.com

Only problem is I'm not ready to pony up the $80 or so he wants for his.

You may want to check out the ACE folding stock www.aceltdusa.com

I have that one on my SAR1 right now. They have multiple lengths to choose from and using their folding block you could put your AR telescoping stock and have fold! hr

Well I went an checked out that forearm rail, guessing he bumped it up a bit since you last looked at as it is now $125. Either that or I was looking at the wrong one entirely. With the 3 sided forearm rail, odviousely a forearm pistol grip much like the one I want to put on there  can be used, but the scope I am purchasing has a red dot laser an flashlight attached to it, seing one more flashlight cant hurt but what to put on the remaining open slot on that rail?? Going to have to think about those optionshe
If anyone knows of such a device for the ak-47 and where I can find it, please let me know as that is ideal for what I am looking to do with my ak... and no I am not planning on going postal but do want to be ready just incase some particular religiouse group gets too big for thier own good an comes over here in a tactical urban warfare scenario... Unlikely but eh, so was 9/11/01 on 9/10/01
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 10:11:21 AM EDT
[#15]
$80 / $125, what's the difference.

Don't know of any such bolt hold open device.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
$80 / $125, what's the difference. h

I have seen them for the Ruger 10/22 as an aftermarket accesory so figure if it exist for that gun then there might be something simular for the ak-47
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I like what you have done to your AK! I don't think I would go for the Car stock but if that is what you want... Did you ever think of getting a RSA AK adjustable trigger group?

Where did you get your drums? How much?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like what you have done to your AK! I don't think I would go for the Car stock but if that is what you want... Did you ever think of getting a RSA AK adjustable trigger group?

The AK in the picture at the top is still in the exact same condition that I had purchased it at the time of that picture, it was purchased from centerfire systems for $425 including one 10 round magazine, four 30 round magazines, an olive drab AK rifle sling, AK cleaning kit, and an AK47 manual. The blue on the gun was 100% with the exception of the gas tube release lever wich you can tell had been moved barely a few times as the blue had just a hint of a line on it from the lever being moved to ( as I would assume ) to install the gas tube. Gun stock was 100% with a new finish on the wood and 0 scratches, runs, drips, or any blemish of any kind... basically it was purchased as brand new as I could find for a preban AK47 while the ban was still in effect, $425 for that and I think it was a good deal.

The drums how ever was purchased through a friend of mine whos father owned a gunstore/ sporting goods shop,  I paid $75 for the top loading 75 round drums and $100 for the face loading 75 round drum. The clips I paid $10 each.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#19]
I meant to say, I like what you plan to do... Wasn't thinking.

Tell me... What do you think of the drums... How are they? Do the function well? Fun to shoot with? I like they way they look, but strap two 40 RD mags together and you have more RDs than the drum. Even though I say this I still plan to buy a drum...
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

??  
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
its the tac trigger that enables me to operate the trigger to cycle the rate of fire of 600-700 rounds per minute.

And where was this little "tac trigger" found?

R............
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:30:20 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I am looking into the RSA adjustable trigger group, anything that will enhance the AK is better in my book lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:39:11 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I meant to say, I like what you plan to do... Wasn't thinking.

Tell me... What do you think of the drums... How are they? Do the function well? Fun to shoot with? I like they way they look, but strap two 40 RD mags together and you have more RDs than the drum. Even though I say this I still plan to buy a drum...

Yeah, strapping 2  magazines together is a convient way of doing it and definately keeps a slimmer profile for the gun, but loving that intimidation factor of that big old drum sitting under the reciever lol
 The drums are heavy and if your looking for stealthy equipment the drum is by no means an option with all that brass clanking around inside that drum, it is heavey but then again you are carrying 75 rounds in one unit lol.
 I dont like the 40 round m,agazines as they are a big on the long side and have a severe curve to them, prefer the 30's my self  but thats just my preference.
 The drums work great, havent had any jams providing they are wound properly, but HIGHLY recomend a face loading type rather then the top loading type... 75 rounds one at a time can get very boring fast and not to mention sore thumbs lol. You pay a little more for face loading types but well worth the investment
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:41:36 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

??  

?? not sure what your trying to say there, but reason for me looking to get a brass catcher for my ak is that the local range requires brass to be picked up after done shooting... I go through a minimum of 500 rounds with my AK to a max of 1000 rounds... thats a lot of brass to pick up at end of day lol
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 4:51:53 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
its the tac trigger that enables me to operate the trigger to cycle the rate of fire of 600-700 rounds per minute.

And where was this little "tac trigger" found?

R............

The " TAC TRIGGER" was purchased from a friend of mine that I worked with as he didnt like the fact that it tok up valuable space for his trigger finger  as he has huge hands ( big boy ), but the tac trigger can be found in just about any  guns and ammo magazine, or firearm related magazine as I have seen them countless time in there.

I went to range this weekend, a no fully automatic firearms allowed range mind ya and forgot to uninstall the tac trigger, loaded the 10 round clip as they only allow the 10 rounders and proceeded to fire the first round but it wasnt one round, it was 5 rounds before I realised what happened wich was only a micro second or so lol... yeah I had a boat load of explaining to do with that one, its legal to own by any person as the tac trigger is an external component and the US defines a fully automatic firearm by its internal components, but they were not happy with it either way and I uninstalled it for the day lol.
TAC TRIGGER runs @ $20 + S/H
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top