Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:32:21 PM EDT
It was such a beautiful day today, so I decided to take my 5.45 X 39 Romak II out to the range for a workout. I have not fired this rifle for 6 months and have not cleaned it for over a year. The first people I encounter at the range are a couple ROTC guys with ARMY sweatshirts on. They had a M4 type AR-15 on their shooting table. I heard one of the guys comment that I should take my AK back to Iraq. This comment was made after I had passed them and I guess they didn't think I heard them. I proceeded to place an old Bulgarian polymer mag in my rifle that has been loaded for 6 months too. I then unloaded the whole 30 rounds with no problems. I glanced over at the guy with the AR and saw such a beautiful sight that it made me smile. He would fire a round then have to use the charging handle to load the next round.  I then fired another 80 rounds with no problems. The AR guy quietly left sometime during the 80 rounds.No more smart comments either.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
shame on you for not cleaning the rifle...

send it to me, ill take care of em

your experiece at the range with AR owners is basically what mine has been everytime... "this here is the BEST GUN in the world!"  , this is what is drilled into their minds
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:39:36 PM EDT
[#2]
you know what, I have that experience every single time i go to the the range in Tenn. Everytime some gd ignorant person tells me i ought to buy an american gun or go back to the middle east and 9/10 times they leave immediatly once the ak starts firing. Most of the time its the guys with little .22s picking fights with me and i just laugh it off
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:54:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:58:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
it's not the gun, it's the user.

AR's will run if you're not stupid about the barrel/mag/ammo matchup.  The fact that there are a bazillion different combinations sometimes makes for bad combos.  Match 223 barrels, Wolf or 5.56 ammo, and USA mags are a "guaruntee" for a jammomatic.

AKs only have one combo: "run"
There is no such thing as match AK barrels with tighter chamberings, aftermarket junk mags (except for the new promags perhaps), and finiky ammo.  AKs have loose chambers that feed just about anything, the mags are ususally all milsurp steel or new milsurp poly, and the ammo is all factory loaded because it's cheaper to buy imported than to reload.

You have to be smart enough to put the right combo together.

+10000000
MRW your wisdom is infinate.

User errors will acount for I would say 80 to 90% off all gun failures.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The first people I encounter at the range are a couple ROTC guys

In my experience, many cadidiots are living proof that one can be educated but still not know a damn thing.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:14:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I had my Arsenal classic underfolder at the range recently, there were maybe 8 guys at the range that day. I was shooting my FAL and my AKS74 most of the time. Out of the eight guys that were there 3 had AR's and they must have been there together because they were talking to eachother more than they were shooting, I could hear them talking shit. Shit like "dude look how ugly that chinese ak is" referring to my Bulgy aks74 they must have been in their teens and i payed no attention and just kept shooting. After i shot 600 rds between the two guns without a single malfunction i put them guns in my truck and brought out the Arsenal and 20 thirty round mags. By this time it was just those three idiots and me, one of the asshats approaches me and says "what do you need that many mags for?" I didnt answer him, i just gave him a get the fuck out of my face smirk and he did. He goes back to his buddies and says "thats the same piece of shit they have for sale at dunhams." The only AK's they sell at dunhams are WASR's.  By this time he was getting on my nerves, so i put the mag in the gun racked it back and bump fired the clip in seconds. they didnt say shit. They were in Awe. So i figured i'd fuck with them a bit. I started shooting my second mag and led my spent brass there way till i saw the enpties falling right into their lap, i was maybe twenty-five feet away. That Arsenal really slings spent shells. I was cracking up inside and continued to sling empty brass right at them, i wasnt even paying attention to where i was shooting because i was looking out the corner of my eye making sure the empties were falling on them. Before i knew it they packed up and left and i had the range to myself.   McM
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I had my Arsenal classic underfolder at the range recently, there were maybe 8 guys at the range that day. I was shooting my FAL and my AKS74 most of the time. Out of the eight guys that were there 3 had AR's and they must have been there together because they were talking to eachother more than they were shooting, I could hear them talking shit. Shit like "dude look how ugly that chinese ak is" referring to my Bulgy aks74 they must have been in their teens and i payed no attention and just kept shooting. After i shot 600 rds between the two guns without a single malfunction i put them guns in my truck and brought out the Arsenal and 20 thirty round mags. By this time it was just those three idiots and me, one of the asshats approaches me and says "what do you need that many mags for?" I didnt answer him, i just gave him a get the fuck out of my face smirk and he did. He goes back to his buddies and says "thats the same piece of shit they have for sale at dunhams." The only AK's they sell at dunhams are WASR's.  By this time he was getting on my nerves, so i put the mag in the gun racked it back and bump fired the clip in seconds. they didnt say shit. They were in Awe. So i figured i'd fuck with them a bit. I started shooting my second mag and led my spent brass there way till i saw the enpties falling right into their lap, i was maybe twenty-five feet away. That Arsenal really slings spent shells. I was cracking up inside and contin!ued to sling empty brass right at them, i wasnt even paying attention to where i was shooting because i was looking out the corner of my eye making sure the empties were falling on them. Before i knew it they packed up and left and i had the range to myself.   McM

Apply flame retardant at once!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:28:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm an AR kinda guy now. (Bad experience with WASR, thought about an Arsenal, but got a Bushy upper instead) However, I always check out the kit the AK guys are packin. I know enough to tell someones Arsenal/Polytech is a damn good weapon, every bit as expensive as an AR, if not more, if you don't count accesories. Bakelite mags, yep he spent some $$$ there. Lightening cuts, wow, he bought a milled, must know what he's doing. When you get into the milled guns, or Chinese AK's you need to stop thinking "Oh, he's just too poor to buy an AR". At that point you need to recognize that he could have got either one, but liked AK's the most. The more $$$$ going into the stuff, the more respect. Some people who can't tell an Arsenal is better than a WASR just need to be slapped. In the face. With hot brass!

I like AK's for the looks, I've thought about getting an AK and pimping it up like the Spetznas guys'. Still though, it can't be escaped that the countries using AK's are pretty poor. They are fine weapons, great for rough use, but for high speed, low drag ops, the AR is king!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It was such a beautiful day today, so I decided to take my 5.45 X 39 Romak II out to the range for a workout. I have not fired this rifle for 6 months and have not cleaned it for over a year. The first people I encounter at the range are a couple ROTC guys with ARMY sweatshirts on. They had a M4 type AR-15 on their shooting table. I heard one of the guys comment that I should take my AK back to Iraq. This comment was made after I had passed them and I guess they didn't think I heard them. I proceeded to place an old Bulgarian polymer mag in my rifle that has been loaded for 6 months too. I then unloaded the whole 30 rounds with no problems. I glanced over at the guy with the AR and saw such a beautiful sight that it made me smile. He would fire a round then have to use the charging handle to load the next round.  I then fired another 80 rounds with no problems. The AR guy quietly left sometime during the 80 rounds.No more smart comments either.....
www.gunsnet.net/album/data//500/24371Romak_IIa-med.jpg

Bravo!  Did you do this to them?

BTW, you should get a black pistol grip for that beauty and send the one you have to me

Bud
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had those problems. Usually people come over to ask what I have or where they can get one (SVT-40, PSL, Mosin Nagant). Had one guy call and complain to the rangemaster when I bumpfired my friends AK, but nobody said anything... it was one of those prissy guys with a $3000 bolt action rifle that costs $2000 too much and a poser cowboy hat.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The first people I encounter at the range are a couple ROTC guys

In my experience, many cadidiots are living proof that one can be educated but still not know a damn thing.

+1  

"Never let your schooling interfere with your education."
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:55:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I haven't had those problems. Usually people come over to ask what I have or where they can get one (SVT-40, PSL, Mosin Nagant). Had one guy call and complain to the rangemaster when I bumpfired my friends AK, but nobody said anything... it was one of those prissy guys with a $3000 bolt action rifle that costs $2000 too much and a poser cowboy hat.

thats the only type of people we have here in NY it seems at the ranges......we are our own worst enemies here...

I want a SVT and PSL...         bastiddddddddddd'
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok, so what is so wrong with a WASR?  Isn't it just a different version of a SAR?  One plus is ALL WASR's are FACTORY built since Century imported them as a complete rifle.  Yes, my new M70 AB2 AKM underfolder is a better weapon than my WASR's, but it still shoots and "bumps" just fine.

Seriously guys, do I need to expect something to fall off or what?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:09:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I had my Arsenal classic underfolder at the range recently, there were maybe 8 guys at the range that day. I was shooting my FAL and my AKS74 most of the time. Out of the eight guys that were there 3 had AR's and they must have been there together because they were talking to eachother more than they were shooting, I could hear them talking shit. Shit like "dude look how ugly that chinese ak is" referring to my Bulgy aks74 they must have been in their teens and i payed no attention and just kept shooting. After i shot 600 rds between the two guns without a single malfunction i put them guns in my truck and brought out the Arsenal and 20 thirty round mags. By this time it was just those three idiots and me, one of the asshats approaches me and says "what do you need that many mags for?" I didnt answer him, i just gave him a get the fuck out of my face smirk and he did. He goes back to his buddies and says "thats the same piece of shit they have for sale at dunhams." The only AK's they sell at dunhams are WASR's.  By this time he was getting on my nerves, so i put the mag in the gun racked it back and bump fired the clip in seconds. they didnt say shit. They were in Awe. So i figured i'd fuck with them a bit. I started shooting my second mag and led my spent brass there way till i saw the enpties falling right into their lap, i was maybe twenty-five feet away. That Arsenal really slings spent shells. I was cracking up inside and continued to sling empty brass right at them, i wasnt even paying attention to where i was shooting because i was looking out the corner of my eye making sure the empties were falling on them. Before i knew it they packed up and left and i had the range to myself.   McM

Or you could have been less of an ass, and maybe educated them a bit, since they obviously didn't know shit about AKs and how wonderful they are.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:00:40 AM EDT
[#18]
most of those people are so set in their ways educating them on the ak doesnt work. Another range story of mine was just that. It was just me on one lane(50m) and what looked like a father son on the 100. Well they were firing what i think was a 30-06 and a bolt action .22. Well i started down range to set up my targets and the man yells what are you doing? so i replied seting up my targets and he told me that he was using all 3 lanes and thatd id have to wait for him to finish. I laughed abit and set up my targets on my lane anyway. As I got back to the tables and took my wasr( yea i know not the greatest ak in the world but i Keep it decent) out, the man asked me why I had that gun and told me it was illegal. I tried to explain to him it was perfectly legal and the gov. actually approved the sale of the gun and he wasnt listening. Abruptly he Aimed right at my targets and shot each of them. I got so red in the face but i didnt say a word to him. I calmly took my norinco 100 round drum out of my pack and loaded it. I walk to the front of the lane and proceeded to bump fire all 100 rounds into all of the targets on the range both mine and his. I turned around and him and his son were alrdy packing up and leaving. I dont know why but it seems like when you show this gun, ALOT  of people instantly hate you. I love my wasr to death and it is actually the gun that got me into firearms. Going to the range is usually more then just shooting as it always turns out being an adventure. Until people become more educated i guess the ak owner will be a hot topic eh?
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#19]
The WASR hi cap is not a true factory gun. They come into the country with single-stack magazines and mag wells, then Century adds US parts (trigger group, pistol grip, gas piston) and cuts the mag well to take hi-cap mags.

The SAR is a rifle that is hi-cap from the beggining, it was shipped from Romania taking hi-cap mags and also has a dimpled reciever.  The SAR rifles mess up less because they were made hi-cap, and the monkeys at Centry can mess up the mag well in WASR type hi cap rifles. Performance wise, they are the same if Century cuts them right. Appearance wise, the SAR has a better stock and a dimpled reciever.

Both are excellent guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#20]
WhenI have an encounter with a" sceptical shooter" at the range I offer my Bulgy AK74 and Norinco MaK 90 for them to shoot/ compare (nine times out of ten they accept) ....explain the history of the AK in a nutshell ............... by the time we are done shooting they have a much better appreciation of the rifle and its unique utilitarian qualities...........I restore old Harley Davidsons and almost always compare my Aks to the old "hogs" as classic utilitarian mechanical devices.......................A few of these sceptics over the years have crossed over  and are now at the range with their own AKs..................it pays to be an ambassador and not an adversary to this sport.

So many folks out there that are simply brainwashed by the Hollywood Liberals..........need re-education.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top