Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2004 8:36:13 PM EDT
Is there any way to make it better?  I'm eyeing up these folders I have and they dont look very comfortable.  I'll be able to use them but I dont know how comfy theyll be.  I'm mainly looking for using it as a trunk gun so it just has to be usable.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#1]
i've heard that some people use a cut piece of sleeping pad, taped. It's not pretty, but hell, it's an AK.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I was thinking a piece of pipe insulation might do the job but I see about the sleeping pad.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
tagged, as I just got an AK folder for 09/13/04.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:22:37 PM EDT
[#4]
They are horrible, I had one that was perm. opened for my Romanian Sar-1. I took it to the range, about 100 rds. into my session I took it off right there and put on my wooden stock. Not very useful, just good for shits and grins. The most comfortable of the ones that I have used was the skeleton style used on the krinkov.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Rubberized foam pipe inuslation wraped with matt black rubber tape works awesome for the Romy folders.  

It works & looks much like the stuff on the ACE Skeleton stocks!!!

I also keep a piece of larger dia. pipe wrap to slip over the smaller piece for an elevated cheak piece when I slide on my side mounted scope, or Eotech.  

Couldn't work any better.., or be more comfortable!!

Got that set up for both my SAR-2 &  RF-109

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 12:59:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Does the thickness of the foam keep them from locking folded all the way?  I've thought of the foam thing before but I haven't handled that stock mounted on a rifle and I've always wondered about it...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 2:58:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:04:36 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm surprised at how comfortable (for me) the Romy folder is when using irons & the decent cheekweld when using the PK-AS w/the left eye. Recoil w/5.45 isn't an issue, don't know how well I'd like it w/7.62 though. I've heard about using the pipe insulation and would like to try it but can't seem to locate the suggested 1" OD/.5" ID size anywhere.
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I have one on a 5.45 its ok.(for me)..I dont think I would really want one on a 7.62 tho..I wonder how a recoil boot would work for recoil??? The tube padding sounds good for the wire arm...
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:43:34 AM EDT
[#10]
I'll post pics after the AWB sets, but I have mine wrapped in black foam insulation.  I did a very careful job and it came out great.  Looks sharp and folds nicely too.  It'll also withstand some good abuse.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 4:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll post pics after the AWB sets, but I have mine wrapped in black foam insulation.  I did a very careful job and it came out great.  Looks sharp and folds nicely too.  It'll also withstand some good abuse.

Please do, I'm interested in seeing how it was done and how it turned out. Thx!...
Tomac
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Uhh... a "recoil boot"?  Is that like a buttpad? If so, I've got a Bulgarian one on my Romy folder. Works just fine. I need to see about wrapping the strut in foam, now...

Link Posted: 9/10/2004 11:26:32 AM EDT
[#13]
AR-15Fan,

The Romy folder folds all the way no problem with the pipe wrap installed!!

The wrap I use has a OD of 1.5"  after wraped fairly tightly with tape it is 1.25" OD

Works AWESOME!!    Makes the plain wire folder way more ergonomic, comfortable & a whole

hell of a lot better looking!!!

There are a couple of pics of my SAR-2 at this link...,Romy Folder  When you get in, just Click on the "Romy Folder"........ folder.

Try it..., it's super cheap & if you don't like it.., a quick slice of your knife & it's gone!!!
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#15]
has anyone tried using something like automotive type hose, cut length wise, fitted tight and then sew or staple the seem back together, instead of tape-wrapped? seems tape would swet adhesive. is there a tape that doesn't? just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/10/2004 10:17:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like that would be worth a try!!   As long as it's not too pretty......, after all were talkin' AK's here!!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:37:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
has anyone tried using something like automotive type hose, cut length wise, fitted tight and then sew or staple the seem back together, instead of tape-wrapped? seems tape would swet adhesive. is there a tape that doesn't? just a thought.

i am going to home depot today, to look for pipe insulation. My plan is to tape it shut, then paracord it to keep the insulation together.

I'll post pics later this week!
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i am going to home depot today, to look for pipe insulation. My plan is to tape it shut, then paracord it to keep the insulation together.

I'll post pics later this week!

For the tape, you could try Scotch Super 33+ (Err.. I think that's the number.  It's the "Super plus" electrical tape).  It's pretty good in heat and doesn't sweat or slide or generally misbehave like elec. tape normally does, and it stretches real nice to provide a snug fit.  Better electrical supply places or electronics stores will have it.  I get it at www.lashenelectronics.com -but their retail store is 5 mins from work.  It's about $5 a roll.  Only problem is you may never be able to buy the cheap stuff again.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#19]
I prefer the Galil style folders for AKs. They are more solid and provide for a much better cheek weld than any of the AK variants I have tried.

I have the polymer Tapco version for my Mak, but I plan on getting one of the metal Ace short folders someday.

Some folks complain that they aren't original looking, but I really couldn't care less.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#20]
user-friendly trumps looks to me. maybe some of the companies offering the wire stocks will modify them for user comfort since it seems there will be a market for it post 9/13.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top